Old 01-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
That is a sad site. I'm a bit partial, so I say fix her up right. Now is the time to put those black and grey water tanks in and get the frame repaired as well. It will hold up another 50 years and probably longer. Do it right and do it now. After all, it IS an early TradeWind. They just don't get any better.

Brad
FF
Well said, Brad.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Thank you everyone for your replies- if I talked about this to my non-airstream friends they would think I was absolutely nuts! To Distantdrummer- I would have to spay ALOT of cats to afford this! On top of everything, my husband is a cow vet and I am a small animal vet ,so if it breathes or bleeds we are good to go, but if it has electrical wires and axles we are kind of pathetic! The good news is that my pets are REALLY good listeners-except for the miniature donkeys.... they are without manners!!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Foresthill , California
We encountered similar sights on the frame of our 1952 Cruiser. For me the decision was easy. Time to build a new frame. Make it new and stronger to last the rest of my life and prbably my kids as well.
All the rest of the your time and investment with be built off of that frame so thats the way to go.
As mentioned you now have the opportunity to place holding tanks as well.
For all the steel (angle iron and 2"x3" rectangle) to build the frame was under $400 (wholesale) and we (my father-in-law & I) cut and welded the frame in a weekend.
Get er done!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I had to replace a lot of steel at the back of my Overlander. I pulled out all of the furniture myself, pulled the bellypan down myself, removed the lower interior skins myself, and pulled out all of the floor myself.

Then I paid a welder to cut out and replace the back three cross-members. The whole job took him a couple of hours and cost a little over $200.

I can see this increasing the cost of a renovation/restoration, but even replacing every single x-member in the entire trailer with new steel wouldn't cost more than $1200 or so using this method. If your current trailer restorer wants to charge significantly more than that, then you might consider pulling it back, doing all the prep yourself, and then calling a welder to take care of the metalwork.

Even an inexperienced DIYer can handle the non-steel-related prep work involved. It's messy and dirty and time-consuming, but it isn't difficult.

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Lift her

Seeing that frame.. I'd go all the way.. lift the body, get the old frame out, and pull her to a steel shop to replicate a new frame, then back to Colin to put the body back on.. it's probably the quickest and best, in the long run, thing to do. Of course, it's gonna cost!!!
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
I just looked at your pictures and she is lovely. We hope to start removing the floor this weekend in our 62 Overlander and we expect to find just what you did. If you can remove all the interior yourself that should save a lot on labor costs. Its taken us 4 days to get to this stage and thats hubby and I working evenings. (Lots of coffee, lots of laughs and a few Captain Morgan Private Stock). Also for lack of a large enough building, we have "Bonnie" parked right next to our deck behind our home.So I say please give her a name and make her well again. Susan
Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd say fix it up. Do it once, do it right, and you'll be enjoying that trailer for the rest of your years. It's a beautiful classic, way too nice to give up on.

I wouldn't go looking for another trailer to replace it, just because they all have something wrong with them. I'd rather have the devil you know.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Look at the price of a new one, you will feel much better about having Colin fix the one you have. I got my axles from Colin, he is indeed a good guy and will do you right. Expensive, yes but time IS money and everything is expensive. I'd vote to fix the frame and then you will have a great vintage trailer to enjoy for year to come.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Having been in your shoes, I would suggest the beer!
Colin is very good at what he does, I agree to ask his advice.

Good luck
Marie
Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
Seeing that frame.. I'd go all the way.. lift the body, get the old frame out, and pull her to a steel shop to replicate a new frame, then back to Colin to put the body back on.. it's probably the quickest and best, in the long run, thing to do. Of course, it's gonna cost!!!
Yes, replace the frame.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Greetings all,
Just to let everyone know, my new business is a "full service" shop & now has the capability to lift bodies off trailers with a custom modified gantry system, similar to what Wally originally used to build this trailer. This system also allows us to lift & flip the chassis 90 degrees or 180 degrees so bellypan work can easily be done without lying on our backs. This is known as a "Rotisserie" type restoration in the automotive world.
We also have the capability to do leak testing with our new "Sealtech" leak tester.
Assuming Susan & Peter decide to move forward with this project, i'm sure you'll be seeing photos of the process.
I'll also be updating my website regularly to keep everyone up to date on our latest projects.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Hey everyone-thanks for all of your replies! We are going to go ahead with our project with Colin but since there are 3 trailers ahead of us- we are going to bring her home and gut her out as much as possible to save on $$. The frame is so important we want to have Colin do it right! Good thing it is minus 2 degrees out today- great weather for working on a trailer.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vets View Post
Hey everyone-thanks for all of your replies! We are going to go ahead with our project with Colin but since there are 3 trailers ahead of us- we are going to bring her home and gut her out as much as possible to save on $$. The frame is so important we want to have Colin do it right! Good thing it is minus 2 degrees out today- great weather for working on a trailer.
Only minus 2? A balmy Spring day...
Before gutting, take LOTS of pictures of the interior. Fittings, attaching points, plumbing, everything. Even if you dump 80% of it, you'll still run into something you can't remember how it was supposed to go.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
You have to set priorties; so beer first. Then taking into account the shop rate, whats the price of repairing the frame in comparison to having a new one fabricated. Restorations can sometimes be a money hole that you can't see the bottom of so, I think that you have to get a handle on a realistic (add30%) and comlplete cost of putting this Airstream on the road. I'm sure the frame is one of only many costs.