Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Waxahachie , Texas
Rhino liner for frame

Ok so our shell is off, we have new steel for our frame. I am considering using Rhino Liner for my sealer for the frame. I think por 15 would be ok but I have seen a lot of comments saying it will come off with some scraping and rubbing. This is where i think the Rhino Liner product will last longer. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts that I might be missing.

Thank you
The Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
Knoxville , TN
Bed liner is tough I can't argue with that but you probably want to price that one out. Having it done would probably be $$$$. The self-applied systems like Raptor liner would probably work well and you don't have to put the texture material in so you would have a smooth surface. Only issue with self-applied systems are that they can be messy. Of course you can always touch up POR-15.
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Alpine , Texas
I build custom cars in my spare time . I don’t know what your frame looks like but if you have clean steel I would paint it in epoxy primer and top coat with what ever . On exposed areas under that can’t be seen old use an undercoating . The Sean areas I would shoot in your color choice silver or black . A good 2 part epoxy will seal it better than anything . Have fun and enjoy .
Joyflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
I thought about the rubberized coatings when I did my frame, but it seemed expensive. in the end I had it powder coated, after they did it I worried about the spots they missed, and the spots where it was sitting on the cart. I sealed the spots that would hold water with Vulkem and called it good.

I did the powder coat because it was much cheaper than having it painted. painting it myself with POR15 or something like it would have also been a good way to go. I just hate painting, and I knew I wanted it sandblasted first anyway. Never forget that Airstream basically welded them and fogged some primer at it from one side and called it good, my trailer is over 40 years old, and it wasn't all that bad under there, so maybe we don't have try quite as hard as we think we do.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beard View Post
Ok so our shell is off, we have new steel for our frame. I am considering using Rhino Liner for my sealer for the frame. I think por 15 would be ok but I have seen a lot of comments saying it will come off with some scraping and rubbing. This is where i think the Rhino Liner product will last longer. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts that I might be missing.

Thank you

How bullet proof do you want to go?

#1 bullet proof, dip and galvanize. You can then powder coat or paint. Yes epoxy paint is best. POR-15 is bullet proof, however your prep work will make the difference in finished product. I use all of the above when restoring chassis's and running gear. Have yet to encounter a failure.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote