Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Replacing the shell ??

I'm getting close to putting my shell back on the frame. A Full Monty 1955 Overlander. What is the sealant product I should use between the floor edges and the shell skin? What was on it before was thick, sticky, green stuff. I have a degree in Microbiology and it wasn't anything I've seen before....

Thanks,
Will
William8979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
There wasn't anything between my floor and the body when I took my 1973 apart. Could it be something that grew there? Maybe you have just discovered a hitherto unidentified micro-organism. If you do want to put something there I would think that Vulkem would work just fine.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
How much of a gap? Do you mean the space between the 'floor to skin channel' and the skin (should be tight when you rivet) ........ or around the edge of the floor to the skin, like the floor is not against the skin. Note that any gap here may allow water from the inside of the external skin (aka leak) to travel into the belly rather that collect on your new floor. My 59 did not have any sealant in either joint. I did have the V stuff between the skin and belly pan. If you have spaces large enough for rodents then I would use V or aluminum silicon. Of course you will then direct any leak to the floor so use a sealant for any screws or bolts that go into the floor around the edge.
You are ahead of me by a few work days. I am currently putting epoxy around the floor edge, top-bottom-and edge, about 2 inches just in case a leak starts.
Putting the shell back on is a major milestone. I suspect that most that come off never go back on.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote