Old 03-13-2005, 11:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.airstreams.net
Fred, I removed the threshold piece and I see a piece of aluminum extending out all the way to the edge of the trailer where the belly pan meets the body. I have the upgrade, right? There isn't much but surface rust on the centerpole and it has been parked for a really long time in a good climate. I don't really feel I need a weight distribution hitch, it doesn't weigh anything at all and I have a 3/4 ton diesel. Would I still need to put an A frame at the front?
Hi Erica:

The aluminum piece you saw that is perpendicular to the centerpole pipe frame is simply a crossways floor support; that is not the upgrade. Look in the wheel well and notice front to rear steel piece that the spring hangers are attached to. If that piece of steel continues forward inside the belly skin (parallel to the centerpole) and continues to the front of the door, then you have the upgrade. So, what you are looking for in the thresh hold "hole" is a "C" channel running rear to front, parallel (not perpendicular) to the pipe frame centerpole. If it is there, the "C" channel will impair a clear view of the centerpole inside the belly skin.

I agree that you don't need a weight distributing hitch for your Trailwind, especially when towing with a 3/4 ton diesel! The 1949 Trailwind weighed 1,500 pounds completely furnished, and your 3/4 ton diesel should handle that with nary a grunt.

I do not like the bad idea of using a weight distributing hitch on an original pipe frame trailer. I think using one would greatly increase the likelihood of damage by adding stress and load that the centerpole was never designed to carry, thus fatiguing the metal pipe much faster than through normal towing. Two years ago I saw photos of a small pipe frame trailer whose pipe broke about a foot inside the belly skin while it was being towed with a weight distribuiting hitch by a California used trailer dealer (not Andy). He ended up scrapping out the trailer instead of repairing it.

Assuming structural soundness, which I can't gauge over the Internet, I cannot recommend adding an "A" frame to your 19' pipe frame trailer. If the frame and floor are sound, and you don't intend to transport lead or add additional weight beyond what was there originally, then enjoy your Trailwind as it was built. Your 3/4 ton diesel can handle it handily. OTOH, if the pipe frame is damaged such that it requires replacement, for heavy duty use I'd replace it with a "A" frame instead of another pipe frame. But it sounds like that is not your situation.

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:02 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Breckenridge , Texas
I can not see the pipe frame. Instead I see a piece of metal that looks squared on the edges. This is in front of the step closer to the tongue.Looks like the piece you were talking about. Is there anything else I should look for? Thank you so much for your help.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreams.net
I can not see the pipe frame. Instead I see a piece of metal that looks squared on the edges. This is in front of the step closer to the tongue.Looks like the piece you were talking about. Is there anything else I should look for? Thank you so much for your help.
Erica:

Look at the front of your pipeframe, under where the propane tanks would typically mount. Is the pipe double thick there? Has a sleeve been slipped around the pipe frame and welded in place? If yes, then that's the "doubler" to strengthen the first 3 feet or so of the pipe frame.

Fred C.
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 03-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Breckenridge , Texas
Yes Fred, there is a sleeve piece of metal around it. It looks double walled right there.
In the back, the pipe frame looks smashed like someone might have dragged it on a dip. Should I be concerned? I do not see any other damage to the frame, except there where it protrudes out.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:16 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Breckenridge , Texas
frame length

Fred,
You mentioned that my trailer was 19' in frame length. I thought they removed one foot in 49 just in front of the door and made it an 18'. The original brochure says 16' and 18' overall. I am almost certain it is 18'. Could I be mistaken?
Erica
Old 03-13-2005, 10:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreams.net
Fred, You mentioned that my trailer was 19' in frame length. I thought they removed one foot in 49 just in front of the door and made it an 18'. The original brochure says 16' and 18' overall. I am almost certain it is 18'. Could I be mistaken? also, yes there is a sleeve piece of metal around it. It looks double walled right there. In the back, the pipe frame looks smashed like someone might have dragged it on a dip. Should I be concerned? I do not see any other damage to the frame, except there where it protrudes out. Erica
Hi Erica:

Upon seeing 1948 at the very beginning of this thread for a different trailer, it stuck in my mind, notwithstanding you clearly mentioning earlier you have a 1949 18' Trailwind. The key identifier, besides actual measuring, is whether or not a foot or so of side skin appears between the door and the front end cap. My mistake for growing your trailer an extra foot. Now, with that 1' shorter trailer, you can derate your 3/4 ton diesel to 11/16th ton. :<>

The doubler sleeve around the front pipe frame is more good news that shows your Trailwind came with the strengthened pipe frame. Don't worry about the smashed rear tip, as you've gained a few inches of curb and gutter clearance. But if you're really feeling circular, you can have it bent back to round, perhaps by a welder who could apply some very localized heat to coax it back out.

By the way, what is it's serial number? And when do we get to see baby trailer pictures?
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
Old 03-13-2005, 11:52 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Breckenridge , Texas
Hi Fred,
Thank you for all your help. You have completely made my day. I'll get some pictures as soon as possible. The serial number is 5029.