Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Arlington , Texas
Replace old carpet

Any suggestion on what material to use in replacing the old carpet? Why that material?
Del317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
In one of our prior Airstreams, we had new carpet installed in the area around the sofa (front of the unit), we had laminate installed from the front door ... through the kitchen area and into the mid bath area ... then resumed with carpet in the bedroom area (rear of the unit).

If we were to do it again ... we would not install any carpet. What a pain to keep clean. And we are actually pretty picky about cleanliness. If you're looking for suggestions ... no carpet ever again.

Our current unit has no carpet. Much happier with no carpet.

But ... if you are definitely set on carpet ... then I would strongly suggest carpet squares.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We're interested in the thread as well. Linda wants to replace the carpet with wood look vinyl. I love padding around in my socks on the carpet. We try to slip our shoes off when entering, but keeping it clean in camp IS a challenge.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Think about cork flooring. Installed by previous owner and we do like it. Quiet to walk on, warmer too ( I think). We did a sectional floor repair and found matching new cork and used it to cover the repair area. Still looks good and functional.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could have throw rugs on top of hard surface flooring if you want carpet and then you can take them out and wash them.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You could have throw rugs on top of hard surface flooring if you want carpet and then you can take them out and wash them.

Perry
Yep, that's my suggestion. No carpet, only something that can easily be cleaned.

You can get rugs almost any shape and size these days, can have the feel of carpet but still be able to pull it up and wash it.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I'll second the recommendation for carpet squares. I have used them in two Airstreams now. Much easier than bulk carpet to lay in the restricted space and, if you make a bad cut, little is lost since it is probably usable somewhere else. I keep an extra square as a spare in case of damage.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Best thing we have done to our trailers is to dump all the carpeting and put in a wood look laminate flooring. So much easier to keep clean. And it feels almost as warm as the carpet to sock feet. It is very thin vinyl over mdf over a thin foam underlayment over OSB. Nothing with a lot of conduction or thermal mass in contact with the feet. And throw rugs can go wherever you feel you need them.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am looking for something quick and dirty right now just to cover the yucky wood floors till I get time to put something permanant in. The carpet squares would work well but I don't want to spent all that money and them rip them out.

Perry
Old 09-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Here's a question that no one has considered. Which is heaviest? Laminate, wood flooring, cork flooring, or carpet? Realize that Airstreams have a fairly good rating when it comes to extra weight, but don't want to pull out carpet, only to make it heavier and have to dump something I'd really like to bring along.
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is a whole range of thicknesses of flooring. The Pergo type laminate is probably the lightest because it is some sort of plastic over the press board. There are some that have real wood on them but that makes them even thicker and heavier. I plan on leaving hidden areas bare floor. Some mix flooring and carpet. The Kitchen and hall are flooring and the front section is carpet. Permanant flooring makes me nervous because you can't tell if you have a leak and if you do it can't dry out.

Perry
Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Anyone considering carpet in any camper is missing out on the joys of having children :-)
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Yup, depends upon the type of camping that you do. We installed cork flooring. Really nice without the need for carpet to vacuum. Sweeps up easy. We have throw rugs for the times we 'forest' camp. Just shake 'em out occasionally.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Yup, depends upon the type of camping that you do. We installed cork flooring. Really nice without the need for carpet to vacuum. Sweeps up easy. We have throw rugs for the times we 'forest' camp. Just shake 'em out occasionally.
Neil
Neil,
I'm leading towards the cork flooring. Like the appearance, and feel that the overall weight of the flooring, as well as durability of cork.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
We are looking at marmoleum click flooring. It comes in sheet as well but we are thinking of putting our entire interior in and then doing the click flooring on the exposed wood. This way it will save on weight and we will leave the plywood exposed in the hidden areas to check for water leaks. The sheet flooring is thinner and lighter but the thought of covering up all of the plywood, and therefore covering up all of the leaks scares us. Everytime it rains we discover a new leak! I love the retro look of the marmoleum, and it is considered a green product with no off gassing or toxic chemicals!
Old 09-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse
Think about cork flooring. Installed by previous owner and we do like it. Quiet to walk on, warmer too ( I think). We did a sectional floor repair and found matching new cork and used it to cover the repair area. Still looks good and functional.
Does cork need to be sealed? Was this cork squares? Glued?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M.
Best thing we have done to our trailers is to dump all the carpeting and put in a wood look laminate flooring. So much easier to keep clean. And it feels almost as warm as the carpet to sock feet. It is very thin vinyl over mdf over a thin foam underlayment over OSB. Nothing with a lot of conduction or thermal mass in contact with the feet. And throw rugs can go wherever you feel you need them.
Inter locking, nailed, or glued, floating?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Arlington , Texas
Thanks for all the suggestions. Do you recommend glueing, nailing, floating those floors that need it.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Carpet

I am also needing flooring,I was going to go Berber carpet for the cozy look and feel.There wont be any "rug-rats" in my trailer,so I don't have that "pest control" problem to deal with.I think wood floors clash with wood cabinets so I don't want wood floors.Marmoleum tiles might be interesting,I heard marmoleum laid down in 1 piece sheet wont work on a trailer?
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
We went with a commercial quality berber when we replaced all the floor coverings in our LY motorhome. Like Airline, I didn't like any of the wood floor samples with the wooden cabinets. So far it's been super easy to keep clean...it has a stain guard integrated into the fibers. I still use a couple of throw rugs at the door & sink. It's soft, warm & an added bonus in a motorhome, it makes for a quieter ride.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote