Old 09-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
We are looking at marmoleum click flooring. It comes in sheet as well but we are thinking of putting our entire interior in and then doing the click flooring on the exposed wood. This way it will save on weight and we will leave the plywood exposed in the hidden areas to check for water leaks. The sheet flooring is thinner and lighter but the thought of covering up all of the plywood, and therefore covering up all of the leaks scares us. Everytime it rains we discover a new leak! I love the retro look of the marmoleum, and it is considered a green product with no off gassing or toxic chemicals!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse
Think about cork flooring. Installed by previous owner and we do like it. Quiet to walk on, warmer too ( I think). We did a sectional floor repair and found matching new cork and used it to cover the repair area. Still looks good and functional.
Does cork need to be sealed? Was this cork squares? Glued?

Old 09-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M.
Best thing we have done to our trailers is to dump all the carpeting and put in a wood look laminate flooring. So much easier to keep clean. And it feels almost as warm as the carpet to sock feet. It is very thin vinyl over mdf over a thin foam underlayment over OSB. Nothing with a lot of conduction or thermal mass in contact with the feet. And throw rugs can go wherever you feel you need them.
Inter locking, nailed, or glued, floating?
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1999 19' Bambi
Arlington , Texas
Thanks for all the suggestions. Do you recommend glueing, nailing, floating those floors that need it.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Carpet

I am also needing flooring,I was going to go Berber carpet for the cozy look and feel.There wont be any "rug-rats" in my trailer,so I don't have that "pest control" problem to deal with.I think wood floors clash with wood cabinets so I don't want wood floors.Marmoleum tiles might be interesting,I heard marmoleum laid down in 1 piece sheet wont work on a trailer?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
We went with a commercial quality berber when we replaced all the floor coverings in our LY motorhome. Like Airline, I didn't like any of the wood floor samples with the wooden cabinets. So far it's been super easy to keep clean...it has a stain guard integrated into the fibers. I still use a couple of throw rugs at the door & sink. It's soft, warm & an added bonus in a motorhome, it makes for a quieter ride.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #21
airstreamlover

1975 31' Sovereign
Irvington , Kentucky
Having camped with 3 dogs and 4 kids for the past 20 something years I would suggest ANYTHING but carpet...lol we like the look and feel of our laminate.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
interlocked, floating, over a thin polythelene underlayment. do not get the thinnest. the problem we had was the interlock was so thin it was very difficult to do it. and you can not pound it together. It has to fit like the pieces in a jig saw puzzle. I took a air hose and blew out each joint before I assembled it. but once down it has been fine. I like it not because it is a great floor, but because it is not carpet. I would prefer the OSB raw to carpet again.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We used a vinyl plank product in ours, looks like wood, completely waterproof, easy go install.... Love it!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well we may be using the bare 30 yr old sub floor for a while and yes it was better than the 30 yr old shag carpet. It is very ugly though.

Perry
Old 09-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Well we may be using the bare 30 yr old sub floor for a while and yes it was better than the 30 yr old shag carpet. It is very ugly though.

Perry
PAINT! Inexpensive, easy to change. A couple of coats of porch paint will sort of fill in some of the gouges and holes. A good intermediate step if you want to get on the road.

Sue
Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah I thought about painting it. I really want to put polyurathane down because it will soak into the small areas that are water damaged and help keep more water out. I am going to have to replace some sub floor in the front section as well but the affected areas are much smaller and not a structural thing like it was in the back. Most of the damage is around the door where water has leaked in and soaked the carpet and the sub floor. The bad thing about carpet is that it holds water for so long. The whole flooring and maintenance issue bothers me. I want something that I can pull up and look underneath and pull up and let dry if need be. I don't have any major leaks up front but I want to keep things from going down hill. I think if I can get the pink fiberglass out from underneath the sub floor it will have a much happier life.

Perry
Old 09-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Dump the Carpet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
We used a vinyl plank product in ours, looks like wood, completely waterproof, easy go install.... Love it!
We removed the carpet from out '76 Safari and installed a high quality vinyl, floor covering. We loved it and so do the current owners. It still looks good after more than ten years.

We removed the carpet from our '76 Soveriegn and installed a very low piled, indoor-outdoor carpet with a tile "foyer" where you step into the trailer. This was an extremely functional solution.

The best solution is the "vinyl plank product" that Airstream used in our 2007 Classic 30. It is so easy to maintain as we learned during our recent White Sands Rally. http://photobucket.com/White_Sands_Airstream_Rally_2011

It is also as lightweight or lighter than carpet. AIrstream did install carpet in the bedroom and in front of the front, jack-knife sofa. I would keep the former and install vinyl instead of the latter were I the interior designer for AIrstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor_transition.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	141075  
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Boonsboro , Maryland
we did cork throughout when we redid our interior last year and would certainly echo the comments of Derek..
Greg