Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Removing the floor in one piece

I have read on this board from Viking or others about flexing the shell in order to get the wood flooring out in sections. Can someone explain how this flexing is done (e.g., with a jack) so that i can just slide in another board. Pics would be nice..i just can see how I can "slide" in another board when it is in the C channel. Thanks again for everyone's help!!
KATYBELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Katy which sheets of the floor needs replacing? The front and rear curved pieces actually have the c channel and shell sitting on top so you don't need to flex the shell to replace those. Just lift the shell slightly up from the floor/frame combo to get those 2 sheets in. The rest of the sheets have a different type of channel. The c channel along the side of the trailer are actually a double c channel. A horizontal section wraps around the edge of the floor sheets and vertical section is what the inner panels and outer skins attach to. To replace the floor there you will have to flex or push out on the sides of the shell to replace the floor sheets. I haven't done that but if you look ak "Minno" thread entitled litle girl refurb under the sovereign section he has done that. You need to be careful not to push out too far or have the shell fall down over the frame outriggers.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
1965 17' Caravel
1951 15' Cruisette
Austin , Texas
Well I am replacing the entire floor front to back. With a 21 footer, that is not that much. I think I get what you're saying. The back is so rotted that it will not be a problem to remove, but the front is what I am concerned about. But I think it will be easy. I am trying to keep as much of the floor as possible to use as a template....Thanks again Wasagachris for your help!
KATYBELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyBell View Post
But I think it will be easy.
Famous last words.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Shell on flex

Katy,
Replacing the floor seems easy. It can be more challenging than most would suspect. Nearly anything is possible with enough patience and time. I am currently replacing the aft half of the floor in my 1972 Ambassador. I am doing a "shell on" technique. In my thread it shows how to "flex" the shell and get the boards out between the frame and shell. Having said that, If your whole floor needs to be replaced, I would recommend you do a "shell off" floor replacement. You are close to where I am, so If you'd like to drop by and see for yourself just send me a message.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
x

XXXX , XXXX
Katy I agree with Lance if you're replacing the entire floor you should seriously consider joining the full monte club and do a shell off. It is actually a lot easier to replace the floor that way. Most of what you need to do to replace the floor with the shell on is also needed to do a shell off. The only extra work will be in lifting the shell. It is surprisingly easy to do that. I lifted my 31 ft with only 2 bottle jacks. I had built bracing to keep the shell from twisting and used the 2 jacks between the floor and the bracing to lift it. I used the 2 jacks at the rear and lifted it a few inches then blocked it and moved to the front and repeated the process back and forth until I had lifted it up high enough for the wheel wells to clear the shell when the chassis was rolled out. A 21 ft will be a lot lighter and easier to do. If you get in to it and need guidance just let me know.
P.S. if you go to see Lance's work go on Sunday when he has the BBQ fired up.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote