Old 10-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Just My two cents on the topic of whether or not to do a shell off: It took me less than an afternoon and maybe $100 in lumber and hardware to build two wooden gantry frames to lift my shell. The work it takes to unfasten the shell from the frame is the same whether you try to replace the floor with the shell on or not. If I had to do it over again, I would have left the bellypan in place except around the edges, pulled the shell, then flipped the frame over with the gantries and worked the belly pan with the frame upside down. I reinstalled the bellypan this way, and have zero regrets, it made the job so much easier.

People look at the apparatus involved with lifting the shell and get intimidated, but I believe religiously this is the way to go. It just makes everything else you do so much easier. I welded on my frame, pained it, installed the subfloor, installed the insulation underneath, and put on a new bellypan, all while flipping the frameover and over as needed.

If limited space is a concern, I have a hard time imagining less space than what I have. I had my shell sitting on one half of my driveway, and the frame occupying a small patio slab that used to be home to a patio table and chairs. Of course this is with only a 21' trailer.

See the attached pic--shell on the driveway, gantry frames being positioned to flip and rotate the frame, frame upside down for insullation installation, grey tank fitting, axle installation, and bellypan install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0635.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	170772  

Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
How is the trailer being supported at this point?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
In the picture above, the frame is supported by jack stands, the gantry frames are only employed during lift-and-flip operations. The shell is just sitting on the driveway, with a wooden block under each rib so that the weight is not sitting on the skin that extends below the ribs.

I used no bracing within the shell, and when it all went back together, there was no indication that the shell had changed shape. This is another benefit of lifting the shell from above, as opposed to jacking it up from below. Most pictures I see of jacked up shells employ a lot of internal bracing to provide something to jack against.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
Very nice throughout your whole setup. But what I'm not catching onto is how you lifted the shell from above. How you hooked onto it etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Ah. The lifting frames go over the shell and are centered on the fore and aft roof vents. A wooden beam is run from endcap to endcap inside the trailer, and chain hoists are attached from the gantry frames, down through the vent holes, to the beam. The beam only contacts the ribs. I am told this is how the chells are lifted and manipulated at the factory as well.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
That makes sense. Mine is mostly finished. I'm happy with the strength of the floor and walls tied down onto the frame. I replaced the rear 52" of flooring with 3/4" inch marine ply. Soaked it down with Varathane especially on the edges. Mostly used #12 TEKS where I could tie into the frame. The left hand bed is the only thing not finished in the inside. The bed frame is getting beefed up to hold a RV washer/dryer UNIT. 89 Excella 32' so that puts the unit right behind the bath over the hot water heater. I'm at 9318' and it's snowing tonight. Need a few days of warm weather to get rid of temporary silicone caulk. That polyurethane is really hard to pump. Might have to get it down to a lower alt where it's warmer. Was it hard to work with for you. I used some on the inside seams and hope it was just an old tube. It was really stiff and that was with the tip of the tube cut off with a large hole. Your frame off restoration looks like the best way to go if at all possible.