Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Rear Rot, Interim Solution, Quick Tips Needed

Good Morning,

I have rear rot and separation. The unit needs to whole bathroom floor replaced. It is the wrong season, and I have no budget for it now. I am getting about a 1/4 inch of travel on the bumper, but I can use the bathroom without falling through and the bumper is bolted well on the more forward location. I figure we will not be dropping the rear end out over a railroad track, nor will I fall through a whole in the middle of the night while using the head.

So, I am going to seal the heck out of it and put the banana wraps back on. I have a whole tube of Silkseal Any suggestions of interim 'fixes' to do as well?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Photos would be helpful. If the connection is still there between the shell and the frame you might be able to put something between the two to reduce movement. The wood is probably gone leaving a gap. The gap lets the two move around a lot which is a bad thing. There is a thing called an elephant ear patch but that requires cutting the corner panels to gain access to the structure. Is the rear cross member still there?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Okay first for what you have described I would say get some 1/2 inch plywood and cut it glue or screw to the floor! This will be as safe as covering a window crack on a 747 with clear packing tape! It will look like its good for now and as long as she does not fly above 6000 feet your good or in your case you hit no large bumps in the road your good! But with Murphy hanging out right around the corner and tow cost involving a flat bed or risk to family and self you really need to fix it before you use it. This is just my opinion and since it is the opinion of an amateur take it at cost.
Safe travels
Cliff
Old 07-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
I dropped plywood spacers on each side. Now trying to think the best way to bolt them in. Either big screws from the top or carriage bolts through the c channel and the steel frame of the bumper. Hmm
Old 07-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
From the picture you need to know what the extent of damage is like is the frame cracked or was it a question of use and a full tank that caused the separation but in any case if you do not have the shell and the frame reattached in the rear you could suffer a total failure or just more damage. As for the question should I use it? That would be completely up to you and in that regard I wish you luck. As before just my opinion I have a caravel (tiny compared to yours) good luck.
Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 07-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It look repairable without a frame replacement. Open the storage compartment door and look at the crossmember.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
The frame is solid. The bumper and the c channel both have good integrity. The only thing that failed was the first 6 inches of plywood. The bolts are even in good shape.

Ultimately, it will need new decking in the bathroom. However, it is good to roll for now. There are surely a lot less capable rigs running down the roads, albeit it is usually their pilots. We saw a newer 30 some footer being towed with a Ford Escape. Goodness people, I know they are light to get moving, but they are not always easy to stop nor keep going in the right direction. I could only imagine how quick you could do a 180 with a 16 foot wheelbase "car" and a 30 foot trailer. OK, tangent over. Thanks for your help all.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:31 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Port Royal , South Carolina
Ditto

Thiss, that picture look's like my 1973 Argosy 24' and I have all the issues you have to look forward to fixing. This is gonna' be fun!
Joeymoran01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Been there done that. Mine was the same. Check my blog if you want to see what I did to fix it. You should probably be alright to use it as it is for a little bit.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote