Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Webb Lake , Wisconsin
Rear floor replacement

Well, I've been reading the forum for about 6-7 months now since I bought my 72 tradewind. I've had a chance to do some minor repairs using the threads that have been posted. Without this forum, I probably would have been inclined to get rid of my trailer, but with all the information here, it makes everything seem a little less scary.

I've jumped in with both feet now and I am getting ready to replace the rear floor panel since it has already started removing itself. This started of with just replacing the black tank, but as soon as it came out, I knew I couldn't put it back in without fixing the floor. I now have a nearly empty rear half of a trailer, with only one big whoops. (I busted a hole in the sink while trying to get it out. The sun really made the plastic brittle.)

Hopefully when I start pulling up the floor and banana wrap, I won't find more work , but I've seen all the other threads, so I'm not too optimistic. I'll try attaching pics and updating as I move along.

Again, thanks to everyone for posting all the information that has been making this a little less painful mentally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	55987   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	55988  

Name:	rot.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	55989   Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	55990  

Olielulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Welcome!
Like you, the forum has saved me a ton - both in terms of money, frustration and time.
Nice to have you here.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olielulu
Well, I've been reading the forum for about 6-7 months now since I bought my 72 tradewind. I've had a chance to do some minor repairs using the threads that have been posted. Without this forum, I probably would have been inclined to get rid of my trailer, but with all the information here, it makes everything seem a little less scary.

I've jumped in with both feet now and I am getting ready to replace the rear floor panel since it has already started removing itself. This started of with just replacing the black tank, but as soon as it came out, I knew I couldn't put it back in without fixing the floor. I now have a nearly empty rear half of a trailer, with only one big whoops. (I busted a hole in the sink while trying to get it out. The sun really made the plastic brittle.)

Hopefully when I start pulling up the floor and banana wrap, I won't find more work , but I've seen all the other threads, so I'm not too optimistic. I'll try attaching pics and updating as I move along.

Again, thanks to everyone for posting all the information that has been making this a little less painful mentally.
Your brittle bath sink can be fixed.

The holding tank is available from us, but made with fiberglass, that eliminates the cracking problems.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Your brittle bath sink can be fixed.

Andy
What is the proper way to fix it? I applied some fiberglass resin to the back side and it appears to be sticking good and did not attack the plastic. Is fiberglassing the best or is there a better or easier method? The PO cut these two knotches out of the toilet surround to put in a house toilet tank and I do not have the pieces that he removed. Of course I will refinish them when repaired.

Name:	Toilet surround.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	56013
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Webb Lake , Wisconsin
sink repair

Andy, Is there a thread somewhere on sink repair, or do you know a good way to repair it? I was thinking I was going to just have to make a whole new sink and counter out of something else (stainless maybe)

Thanks
Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Olielulu, here are some ideas/info.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...ink-37033.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ink-37030.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...ned-34003.html
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Webb Lake , Wisconsin
the work grows

Well, (I know – a deep subject for such a shallow mind) I got back to removing more of the stuff in preparation to replace the rear floor, and at some point during the process, I decided that it would be easier to just remove everything from the trailer and fix all the little things. Plus while I was out there, it just happened to be raining up here in the northwest, and I was finding signs of water leaks. Since I have to take half the trailer apart to fix the floor, why not just take the whole thing apart so that I can spend a lot more money?
The good news is – when I pulled the banana skins off the rear corners, the frame and outriggers looked good with the exception of one of the streetside outriggers that was below the water heater that was leaking for who-knows-how-long. It was almost completely rotted away.
Insulation. I have read a lot of the threads on complete restorations, and noticed that a lot of them put in a silver insulation. Is that the bubble wrap insulation that I have seen at the home stores? I’ve looked at it and can’t find an R value on it anywhere. It can’t be too much unless you layer it a bunch of times.
Flooring. I measured the flooring and it measures exactly ¾”. I’ve read everywhere that the flooring should be 5/8”. Is this just a dimensional thing like a 2 x 4 is not actually 2” x 4” ? I’ll probably answer my own question when I go to the lumber store. I’m going to try and get the marine grade plywood. I’ve read a couple threads where they used OSB, but I found a study by the university of Oregon that shows that the OSB soaks up water at the edges and expands (everyone knows that) . It also says it is slow to soak up the water, which is good, but on the reverse, it is slow to dry after soaking up water, which will help lead to rot quicker.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curbside.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	56201   Click image for larger version

Name:	streetside.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	56202  

Name:	inside.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	56203  
Old 03-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I got back to removing more of the stuff in preparation to replace the rear floor, and at some point during the process, I decided that it would be easier to just remove everything from the trailer and fix all the little things. Plus while I was out there, it just happened to be raining up here in the northwest, and I was finding signs of water leaks. Since I have to take half the trailer apart to fix the floor, why not just take the whole thing apart so that I can spend a lot more money?
Careful...it's a slippery slope!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
"Well, while I'm at it I might as well fix this too" We've all been at this point before.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Insulation. I have read a lot of the threads on complete restorations, and noticed that a lot of them put in a silver insulation. Is that the bubble wrap insulation that I have seen at the home stores? I’ve looked at it and can’t find an R value on it anywhere. It can’t be too much unless you layer it a bunch of times.

do a search on the forums for "reflectix" insulation. I think thats what you're talking about. and no, you don't layer it. It works in an entirely different manner than the fuzzy pink stuff...(I can't remember the proper terms..."conduction" vs. "convection", or something along those lines), and for the most part, "r-value" just doesn't apply to it. what r-value measures, reflectix doesn't do.
Quote:
Flooring. I measured the flooring and it measures exactly ¾”. I’ve read everywhere that the flooring should be 5/8”. Is this just a dimensional thing like a 2 x 4 is not actually 2” x 4” ?
no. Older trailers (60's) used 5/8ths; (older ones might have been even thinner; not sure). 70's used 3/4. I'm not sure of the exact cutoff, but I would guess 1969, as that was the year of the major body-style change.

you might run into the "dimensional" issue, though, as today, they don't sell "3/4"...or its hard to find. 23/32 is not very much thinner, and if you place that seam cleverly, no one will likely notice.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Our '56 had 5/8" plywood plus the VAT...for a total of 3/4" under the c-channels. Since we are replacing the entire floor, but not putting the new marmoleum under the c-channels, we are putting in 3/4" marine grade plywood.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
I recently repaired the cracks in my plastic bath parts using a sort of new product from West Marine called G/Flex and it seems to work really well. 2 part epoxy with fiberglas fabric, it's semi-flexible and appears almost indestructible. The kit was only $20 plus $3 worth of fabric. Applied to the back side then filled in the depression with Interlux Watertite Epoxy Filler (also excellent), sanded smooth and painted with Interlux Brightside Polyurethane. You can also see various bath repairs (POR frame, tank welding, etc) here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...r-38434-3.html
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Webb Lake , Wisconsin
more "progress"

So, I’ve got all the cabinetry out of the trailer and will be moving on to removing the interior sheathing and insulation to start chasing down leaks. Just removing all of the interior has pointed me into about 4 or 5 locations that I didn’t have any idea there were leaks. (luckily?? it's raining again to help me with that) I'm feeling better about going all the way. This way I will have peace of mind when I finally get to use it.

I found a couple patches in the floor up forward. they used OSB. I'm attaching a photo of why I know for sure I wont be using it. It's not the best photo, but the difference in thickness between the OSB and the old plywood is about 1/16" where the leak is. The OSB is also softer when I stab it with my screwdriver (I just did that to make me feel better .)

One of the PO's must have had enormous hands because they had to cut out an extra hole to get in to the water tank area. this was covered with a thin sheet of aluminum that was then carpeted over

I also found that the inner and outer wheel wells are pretty damaged on the curbside. I'm not worried about the inner, but I will have to replace or figure out repairs for the outer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
"Well, while I'm at it I might as well fix this too" We've all been at this point before.
Exactly!! I only want to do this once. It really bugs my wife when she just want me to get something finished quickly and I keep finding more things to fix "while I'm there."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck

do a search on the forums for "reflectix" insulation. I think thats what you're talking about. and no, you don't layer it. It works in an entirely different manner than the fuzzy pink stuff...(I can't remember the proper terms..."conduction" vs. "convection", or something along those lines), and for the most part, "r-value" just doesn't apply to it. what r-value measures, reflectix doesn't do.

I guess I'll look and see if they have a web site. It doesn't look like it will do much good if it is freezing outside and I only have a layer of bubble wrap with tinfoil on it to keep me warm .

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wheel well.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	56227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nearly empty.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	56228  

Name:	osb.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	56229   Click image for larger version

Name:	PW hole.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	56230  

Old 03-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #14

1972 27' Overlander
windber , Pennsylvania
Hi! I read about the silver insulation, I've used it myself in my garage and other places. I'm pretty sure the R value is 7.5 which would probably be more than the original stuff that was in there. I'm working on a '72 27' Overlander and my floor fortunately is in fairly good condition. So far my only problem area is in the bathroom and compared to yours its MINOR! I've repaired the frame in the front in a couple of spots and I'm ready to insulate using the silver bubble wrap insulation. It's adequate for the job (it won't hold moisture). Home Depot or Lowe's sales it. Good luck! Jim Turcato
jim turcato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Quote:
So, I’ve got all the cabinetry out of the trailer and will be moving on to removing the interior sheathing and insulation to start chasing down leaks. Just removing all of the interior has pointed me into about 4 or 5 locations that I didn’t have any idea there were leaks.
While many have chosen to remove all of the inside skins to track down all of the leaks, I think you'll save a lot of time by painting the roof with some elastomaric paint, after you've applied vulkem around all your vents (including plumbing, gasket replacement if necessary). I found that 97% of my leaks disappeared after I did that. (Your windows can cause problems as well.)

(Be sure to apply a good aluminum primer before applying the KoolSeal.)

Removing all of the inside skin just seems like the long way to go about it.

Removing all the other stuff is wise, as the rear floor thing (especially with the rear bath) pretty much requires it.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Webb Lake , Wisconsin
Cleaned and almost ready to seperate

The trailer is gutted with the exception of the wiring. I pressure washed the interior and did a quick inspection to see what else I can spend money on. I have found evidence of a harsh life for this one. One rear dome panel was replaced, and it has had some damage on the curb side repaired (somewhat.) Overall it’s not in too bad of shape, but it could be better. I did find a hole in the roof panel from corrosion that I am not sure what I am going to do with yet. I’m not up for replacing the entire roof. I think that is a little further than I want to go right now. I may try using a sealer of some sort with a backing plate.

When I was removing the center interior ceiling skin it had a second layer of scrap in the slot for the skin. I am assuming these are there as shims, but I’m not sure if they are supposed to be, or if they are even needed. (picture attached.) Any thoughts?

Anyone have a used rivet gun for bucking rivets they want to get rid of cheap? I have a bunch of loose rivets, Olympic rivets and regular rivets that I would like to replace while I have it this far down.

I hope to take the shell off next weekend to see what kind of damage I can cause there. Does the inside need to be braced, or is that just a precaution for peace of mind? The frames seem to be structurally sound enough to not need it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clean.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	56392   Click image for larger version

Name:	top center shims 2.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	56393  

Name:	hole.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	56395  
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Webb Lake , Wisconsin
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
While many have chosen to remove all of the inside skins to track down all of the leaks, I think you'll save a lot of time by painting the roof with some elastomaric paint, after you've applied vulkem around all your vents (including plumbing, gasket replacement if necessary). I found that 97% of my leaks disappeared after I did that. (Your windows can cause problems as well.)

(Be sure to apply a good aluminum primer before applying the KoolSeal.)

Removing all of the inside skin just seems like the long way to go about it.

Removing all the other stuff is wise, as the rear floor thing (especially with the rear bath) pretty much requires it.
Thanks PizzaChop.
Reading your thread and you pictures on replacing your rear floor inspired me to tackle this project.
After pulling half of my interior out to replace the rear floor, I figured what the hay! I'll just pull it all out.
I've seen pictures of airstreams with the paint on top and wasn't sure why they had done it. I guess now I know. If I start finding too many leaks I have another plan now. Or maybe when I get my next airstream. this is pretty addicting.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Webb Lake , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim turcato
Hi! I read about the silver insulation, I've used it myself in my garage and other places. I'm pretty sure the R value is 7.5 which would probably be more than the original stuff that was in there. I'm working on a '72 27' Overlander and my floor fortunately is in fairly good condition. So far my only problem area is in the bathroom and compared to yours its MINOR! I've repaired the frame in the front in a couple of spots and I'm ready to insulate using the silver bubble wrap insulation. It's adequate for the job (it won't hold moisture). Home Depot or Lowe's sales it. Good luck! Jim Turcato
Jim, how well did it work in the winter? That's my big concern. I'm thinking about using it along with some other insulation. Probably the blue Dow styrofoam.

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
I did find a hole in the roof panel from corrosion that I am not sure what I am going to do with yet. I’m not up for replacing the entire roof. I think that is a little further than I want to go right now. I may try using a sealer of some sort with a backing plate.
Do your self a favor and repair this porperly. You've gone this far already. Cut out the corroded area and install an external doubler that is riveted on. Sealing a doubler on is like putting a bandade on an amputated arm. Check out e-bay under aircraft tools for a used rivet gun. You will need a 3X.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
A note about reflective foil insulation...

Reflective foil works by blocking the flow of radiant energy. Radiant energy is what you feel when you stand out in the sunshine. Something like 85% of the heat that is lost through the walls during the winter is of type radiant. The number is more like 95% through the roof. Foil type insulation is most effective when it is installed with an air gap on both sides. Some tests that I have done indicate that the foil does a better job than the 1-1/2" of fiberglass insulation that was stock in our Airstreams. There are other tests being done now too. Take a look at the following threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/i...lts-13953.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...sts-40442.html

The following thread has some tips and tricks that I used for foil insulation installation:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...cks-30196.html

Malcolm