Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
Mr. R

1984 34' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
Rogersville , Missouri
Rear Bath Floor Repair

HELP!!!!!! I just bought a 1969 31' Sovereign to renovate. It has a hole the size of a 55 gallon drum in the bathroom floor. Can anyone tell me how to take out the fixtures ( tub, sink and plastic walls) so that I can repair the hole? Also will the fixtures go out through the door? This trailer is in bad repair, but I would like to see it come back to life. Any help will be appreciated....Tim
trogers713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:24 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I am currently repairing the subfloor of my rear-bath model. I have all the fixtures out, frame reconditioned, and my next step is to install the new subfloor.

All fixtures will fit out the door, so no worries there.

I bought a 1972 service manual (the oldest available) from Helen Davis of Secretarial Services, and I highly recommend it to you so that you can see how things are riveted and screwed together. It is invaluable when taking out the bathtub and fiberglass components. Just do a quick search on this forum for Helen Davis.

Christopher
gerbermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 03:06 PM   #3
Mr. R

1984 34' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
Rogersville , Missouri
Rear Bath Floor Repair

That Chris for the information....I will look up Helen Davis and buy a manual...Tim
trogers713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 05:24 PM   #4

I also have a bathroom out of a 31 ft rear bath,i took a lot of pix and marked everything. I am now replacing 3 ft of the rear frame and skid plate. I am tring to find the u channel in the rear .It is all corroded and not useable.I enherited this trailer but did not entend on this mouch work. My parents had a lot of fun with this trailer and i hope my wife and i will someday too I am new to airstreams but thanks to this sight i am learning a lot. Doug
DKaraisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 12:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Rather than "replace" the C-channel main members of the frame, I had the corroded sections of the channels cut out, and then had plate steel welded up as reinforcement.

I used to be able to actually see through the steel, it was so bad. Now it is difficult to discerne the grafted plates from the original C-channel.

BTW: while you are under there, check out the brackets and angles holding up the black tank. Those were severely corroded as well.

Christopher
gerbermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 05:32 AM   #6

I had too much rust , i hacked off the whole rear 3 ft on the complete frame, from the last gusset back to the bumper. the u channel i am looking for is the one that goes between the outer skin and the inner. it's the alum. one that bolts to the top of floor. The problem is the alum. u channel has a slight angle to conform to both the skins. I could make one out of steel but dont want to mix the 2 metals.

Does anyone know if regular pop rivits are used on the bottom of the rear skin or olimpic. ITs the part behind the lower alum. band.
When i figure out how to use my camera ill post some pix
Doug

Old 10-26-2003, 06:12 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I believe aluminum rear floor channel is still available from the factory. Riveting the aluminum wraps to the floor channel can be accomplished with pop rivets. Make sure they are approx.1 1/2" apart and reseal around rear end and lower rubrail when finished.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 06:43 AM   #8

Thanks , i do have a call in to indland rv on the u channel and as far as going through hell my wife thinks i am but really i'm in heaven . just dont have enough time for the project i took on.I also have some rot under the door , i dont want to look at that untill the rear is finished
Doug