Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #1

Ringoes , New Jersey
Rain leak through refrigerator vent 2012 Sport

Hello all. I'm a new Airstream owner and enjoying being part of this community. Just bought a 2012 Sport.

Have read many Airforum posts which have been super helpful.
Now I have a problem that I can't seem to find the solution to - rain coming in through the top refrigerator vent.
The water puddles on aluminum tray, on the bottom of exterior compartment and then runs inside between dinette and fridge.
I've added seals where the vent contacts the vent frame but I think it is actually coming through the vents themselves. I can see water on the fan which is strange since it is not close to the perimeter of the vent.
I contacted Airstream and they said to add sealant but that's not the solution.
I contacted a local dealer and they said make sure the airstream is level. I checked and the vent side is slightly higher but not that much so doesn't seem like a sustainable solution.
Only thing that works at the moment is to put plastic behind the vent and install with plastic extending to the outside around the vent. Ugly.

I uploaded 3 pics but can't seem to add them to this post.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7766.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	297198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7771.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	297199  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7772.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	297200  
d_logiudice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Does it occur only after a rain? Washing? Or, are you sure the fridge drain is connected (the white hose in your pic? Or does your trailer have a condensate pan?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Check on the roof to see if there is a piece of sheet meta, standing about 3 in high and the length of the vent, l just above the vent running parallel to the center line of the trailer. That "Dam" diverts heavy rain from overriding the parapet of the vent.

If the cap is centered above the vent, the dam is in place, the parapet is projecting an inch above the roof and is sealed to the roof That should stop water from entering there.

Make sure the frig drain hose is connected and going though the floor.

Sorry I can't post a picture but I have reached my limit within the Forum.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:24 AM   #4
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Like you mentioned with the plastic sheets, I store my camper with house wrap under the vents (water heater included) to keep the mud daubers out. It isn't pretty, but it's effective. I'm not very familiar with a 2012 Sport, can you post a picture of the trailer from the fridge vent side?
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Here's a post where someone mentioned a solution to the leaking vent: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f295/sport-upgrades-169413.html#post1974178
"We just switched out the plastic fridge vents on the outside with stainless steel. This has stopped the leaks we had with these when it would rain..."
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 AM   #6

Ringoes , New Jersey
Thanks all for your input and questions.
Water gets in only when it rains or cleaning the Airstream with a hose.

There is a small rail on the roof that runs front to back, on the vent side but doesn't seem to help.

thanks for the link to an aluminum vent upgrade. More than I want to spend now but cheaper than water damage.

Here are a few more pics of the side and vents per requested.
d_logiudice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #7

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Tennessee
Hello All,

Recently purchased a 2012 Flying Cloud 23' FB. Coach is in great shape, just got it back to Tennessee last week. Since then Ive had issues with a water leak. The water is coming in from the exterior vent and finding it's way under the fridge and below the converter panel. I removed the converter panel and can see where the water is saturating the wood holding the fridge in place. After close inspection It appears this unit has been altered. I've attached a few photos of what looks like a section cut out. This is clearly where water is coming in thru the top and the vent. I have some ideas on how to fix this but welcome any experienced advice. Thank you very much!
jmthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_logiudice View Post
Hello all. I'm a new Airstream owner and enjoying being part of this community. Just bought a 2012 Sport.

Have read many Airforum posts which have been super helpful.

Now I have a problem that I can't seem to find the solution to - rain coming in through the top refrigerator vent.

The water puddles on aluminum tray, on the bottom of exterior compartment and then runs inside between dinette and fridge.

I've added seals where the vent contacts the vent frame but I think it is actually coming through the vents themselves. I can see water on the fan which is strange since it is not close to the perimeter of the vent.

I contacted Airstream and they said to add sealant but that's not the solution.

I contacted a local dealer and they said make sure the airstream is level. I checked and the vent side is slightly higher but not that much so doesn't seem like a sustainable solution.

Only thing that works at the moment is to put plastic behind the vent and install with plastic extending to the outside around the vent. Ugly.

I uploaded 3 pics but can't seem to add them to this post.

Thanks for your help!

Is what you have a 16’ Sport, it looks like it from the computer style fan. Are you sure you have a vent that routes through the roof?
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #9

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Tennessee
Apologies if Im posting in the incorrect place. For some reason the images didn't post. Here is a link

https://jeremymthomas.smugmug.com/Airstream
jmthomas is offline   Reply With Quote