Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
new floor

I am doing a partail floor replacement on my 71 globetrotter. It hasn't been all that difficult. (I can't seem to get the link to work so do a search "skin corrosion" and check it out
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It's scary looking, but I agree, a good welder can fix that up. My welder hung around for a few hours and welded a bunch of broken seams, and it didn't cost very much (I don't remember exactly how much it was, which is why I know it wasn't a big amount compared to the rest of the project). I think $3500 still might have been a good deal for the trailer overall. Get a welder out, have him fix the welds or put in new metal where necessary, and keep at it. I wouldn't worry about the rest of the frame being like this, you know there was a lot of water damage up front, and that's what got your frame rails.

Unless you suspect more damage towards the back, I wouldn't go pulling it apart looking for it. If the floor looks good in the rest of the trailer, just concentrate on the front and worry about the rest later. Not every trailer needs a full shell-off restoration! It's very dissapointing to find damage like you are finding, but I don't think it's all that much work, just an extra step of getting a welder to fix it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I do know that the floor under my rear hatch is rotted out from not having a weather seal for years. Since I plan on replumbing with PEX I will cut the old plumbing out. I am concerned about trying to replace the bath floor. The tub and sink pieces dont look like they will fit through that pocket door, and I dont want to destroy them. On dropping the belly pan....can I transport this thing with the pans off? If I have to take it to a welder for the work I dont want to have to fool with getting the pans back up and off again once I am there.
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Sure you can move the trailer w/ bottom skins removed; it just wont be very pretty and make sure you travel on dry days. A definate no-no is dropping the lower skins and immediately go cruise on the interstate to use the wind to scour out a hundred square feet of fiberglass insulation bats. No matter how logical and smart a hands-off rats nest removal seems it would be a hard sell to a State Trooper or local Sherriff's Deputy, and just might get your picture in the local paper too with words like "biohazard" and "weapon of messy construction" in the by-line...
Old 11-13-2006, 01:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Exclamation

Cant anyone tell me the exact size of drill bit needed for drilling out the underbelly rivets?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:03 PM   #26
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
3/16", be sure to drill all the way thru the steel frame, saves time later, I just cut the outer rivets on some and it was harder to get them completly out later.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
A good post showing replacing the floor without

be taking off the frame.....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ion-12320.html
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I started removing the belly pany today and had to stop from breaking both my 1/8 bits. I am having trouble with my copper gas lines. They arent unscrewing so I can drop the pan completely. Many pieces of frame are just falling off on the uncovered parts. Also, many of the lower rivets were gone completely, and in their place there were hex headed bolts. The aluminum has some tears in it, and I wonder if these can be patched or if I should fabricate a new underbelly (Not that I have the money, time, or skills needed).

Hope to get some pics up later tomorrow once it is light again.

SM
Old 11-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #29
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
If you're on a buget you can patch it, go to HD and get alum flashing to cut up into patches, just use small rivets to hold them in place.

New material is $50 for a 4X8 piece.

You also can get a cutting wheel to get off anything like the LP clamps or hex bolt heads.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
On gas lines you must have two wrenches by design so they won't back off through vibration - if you can allign wrenches to be able to leverage both with a one hand squeeze you might be amazed how easily they seperate; the brass and copper stretch or compress when tightened and require exact anti-tourqe to seperate. If its still binding get one wrench hand loaded w/ unloosen tourqe by hand and clap the other in its unloosen direction w/ a chunk of 2X4...

To keep from breaking drill bits one should get a square face punch and drive the mandrel back so the drill bit is better self-alligning going through the softer rivet head aluminum and not going off center then catching on the hardened aluminum mandrel. When I removed my lowest skins I used an old wood chisel sharpened on a belt sander and a hand sledge & got through them with two or three taps.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Since these tanks are WAY out of date, would there be anything wrong with sutting this copper tubing off at the front tanks, and then coming in later with new compression fittings to link it up?

I found a welder who will work for $25.00 per hours. He currently welds concession trailers and I hope that everything will work well. The separation he said can be hammered back into line, but that some of the crossmembers will need total replacement. UGGGG!

Starting to think that just doing a full monty would work better. That way I am able to do whatever I want to the inside (Rear Bed, Side bath, etc).

It really stinks that I live 2.5 hours from where my home and the A/S are. I only see it for 1-2 days a week .
Old 11-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Frame....REPLACE IT OF FIX IT????

Ok,

I just got off the phone with a company in town that fabricates concession trailers, but they do welding work when they are not busy. I was just quoted a price of $2,800 or less for a completely new trailer with marine plywood floor. The company will pick my trailer up, brace and remove the shell, fabricate a trailer directly from the old chassis only using a few parts from the old (Axel, and anything else that is needed). The shop said they would also improve anything that they see is out dadte as far as trailers go.

With being a month out of surgery, not knowing how to weld, and the rusted out frame causing me significant scares for safety...is this a good option? I think that $2800 is pretty good, but I don't know the costs of fabricating new trailers. I would also be able to insulate the floor with foil bubble, and paint the entire frame with a rustoleum primer, or rust inhibitor. I guess I could take the old trailer to the recycler to cut costs.

Comments, thoughts, concern?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
With a $2800 outlay I would discard the old axles and have Andy provide new ones in a heartbeat. I would also think about what an additional 20% for refinements could buy - better trunk storage area, Honda eu2000 mount behind propane tanks for slightly extended hitch tongue along with 120VAC cable provisions to your converter area, dedicated jacking points, spare tire nook behind A-frame, provisions for large gray water tank framed out, gnarly foam or other thermal barrier in between frame and floor and something to act as dissimilar metals protection for all iron to aluminum joints... Any one think of more tweaks since this is still in the ether-stream?

You keep speaking of scary corrosion; I for one would like to see what would condemn the ladder frame. I've got the split english muffin nooks & crannies (w/o perforation) on a 12 inch segment where the city water inlet is, but the BW tank area extra frame piece and no serious loading on that section made it easy to POR-15 over it w/ a good conscious. Without a doubt I would put money into refurbishing a corroded A-Frame joint area, hitch tongue, or axle mounting plates if they've lost huge amounts of metal.... but what makes a huge amount too much I'm not sure of.

If the lower edges of spars have vanished 3/4" angle iron or even better 1/8" sheet stock fabricated into 3/4" right angles and welded to the spars would be fine.

Before you count your salvage bonus note my two sagged axles with brake drums & two F-150 leaf spring packs plus odd crap, err scrap came in at 640 pounds at the local salvage yard, I was paid 27.85 or 3.5 cents per pound.

About the frame renewal - 100 hours of your time at $25 dollars an hour has nearly bought a 1st class trailer frame. I have alot more time invested than that; If someone would've quoted me $3000 for new frame I probably would have done it. Can you share their materials list? What dimensions and thickness for the main ladder frame rails etc?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Red face Hey Wabiteer

Since it is a 22 footer it only has a single axel. I guess I would need to look into the cost of a new axel (probably alot), but most likely worth it if I am redoing the whole frame. I currently have no plans on purchasing a generator, but it is a thought.

As for cable provisions to my convertor I must say "What Convertor?" My A/S came with no battery and no Univolt. I plug it in by plugging into my house with a 15 to 30 amp convertor, then I have to plug a battery charger into the external 110, and hook up the battery terminals to the battery charger. Since all the wiring in my A/S is aluminum, I have thought about replacing it with copper instead. The spot underneath the bathroom lavatory where my univolt should be has an open set of 110v wires, and that is it. In one of the closets, there is an open 12 volt wire (A similar with runs to the
thermostat and the lights on the panel.

I wouldnt mind adding a grey water tank, but since I am not doing the frame, I would have to make sure the shop knew exactly how and where to place such a tank....would the plumbing be hard to rerig for black and gray?

Also adding to my decision are a few things.

1.) I am a mobilized soldier that lives about 2.5 hours from my home where the A/S is. I only get one day to work on it a week at most.

2.) I recently had shoulder surgery on my dominant arm for the second time in two years. I am very limited in what I am able to do, especially when it comes to lifting.

3.) I dont have the alot of the tools or equiptment to do a frame rehab, and have never welded before, so I wouldn't trust myself to do it. For the safety of me and my family I need a pro.

4.) With a new frame and floor, it would be road worthy much faster and would allow me to use it, which is better than sitting on the side of the garage.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
From a health & hygeine aspect I think Uncle Sam would say spend the money - I woke up some nasty stuff and kept annoying it untill I had fever and doctors appointments. Old timers here in the forum say you won't get rid of smells & other nasties untill the liners are dropped and new insulation; Anything that got through the the carpet is still in your plywood; old time mosquito insecticides, repellants and deoderizers, mine had formaldehyde and phenol disinfectants that made my eyes water. Flooring is painted now with stuff even bleeding through two coats of acrylic epoxy in the bathroom - hot water tank comes out as soon as my missus gets home this afternoon - flooring underneath it reeks of black tank chemicals. Probably the beginning of a bathroom flooring tear out, I had planned on next winter but hey...

Expect $850 for your axle delivered, Uniformed Military may have earned something off or something extra. (vendors, did'ja feel your ears burning?)

Yes new copper is smart money spent, even if existing was copper the insulation has improved.

A new converter won't care if a battery is attached or not, for someone not interested in boondocking the battery would earn it keep while y'all are in transit and stop for lunch or a rest-stop nap, or pause for weather.

I lost my bookmarks so I can't direct you to grey-tank vendors, link was posted recently in a GT posting if you search. I plan on at least a 10 gallon addition, currently the bathtub acts as GT (eww) if more than gallon goes down any sink. PVC is almost as easy as paper & paste, a little hacksaw action and dry assemble needed pieces one at a time untill plumbed level from tank to main drain line (raise tongue jack up to drain), stainless steel hose clamp & rubber gasket pipe connectors connector clamps make bonding a piece into main drain a snap.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA