Old 05-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Rabat , Morocco
Re-open thread....

The Mods seem to recommend that it's better to tack onto an existing thread than start a new one, so I searched the forums and this thread seemed appropriate.

Well I am down to a bare rusted frame and I ordered 4 quarts of POR-15 and both the Marine Clean and Metal Prep....

Now, for the choice of floorboard. I know not to use any ACX, ACQ, or pressure treated wood in direct contact with almost any metal (thank you forums). But, won't POR-15 help solve this dilema?

1. If the wood sits on a POR-15 coated frame...
2. If the U-Channel sits on vinyl tiles (which cover the whole floor)...
3. If the edges of the subfloor are treated with resin for "waterproofing" (thus when the belly pan wraps up and around the U-Channel it doesn't directly contact the wood)....
4. If I use stainless steel elevator bolts and screws....

Then have I eliminated the concerns about corrosion associated with these products and metal?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
pt is not recomended for interior work,out gassing. it's poison!!!.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Rabat , Morocco
Got it...

Thanks crestonrv, I knew that about PT. I had a deck that the kids played on for about 4 months before I began dismantling it and found the little tag on the end stating "ARSENIC - Write your will". But I digress.

My research into ACQ is that off-gassing is not an issue, but that when used in contact with soils, etc. it has the potential to leech and may harm earthworms and aquatic life.

I'm not trying to support the use any particular option here, just getting opinions on whether it's feasible to use in the manner I previously stated.
Appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I think that you are probably right that you might very well be isolating the pt plywood from everything else using the techniques that you mentioned. But I still think it is not a good idea. I replaced all of my subfloor with pt plywood of the new variety which supposed is not particularly toxic any more. Just after I finished the job I found out just how corrosive it was. I had installed it in contact with the aluminum in the c-channel at the bottom of th u-channel (different construction than for your vintage). When I took it all out I could already see signs of corrosion in just a matter of a couple of weeks at the most. I just think the stuff is too corrosive to bother with. I would suggest that a reasonable alternative might be to carefully saturate/coat a good grade of plywood with Thompsons Waterseal. It is not considered by the manufacturer to be toxic once it is fully dried (I asked them directly). What I decided to do was to use a product called Polyboard but that is another story.

Malcolm
Old 05-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Advantek

For anyone considering replacing the subflooring of their Airstream during reconstruction I would seriously consider ADVANTEK FLOORING in lieu of any marine product. This is a superior product that WILL NOT delaminate, swell or rot. It is a bit heavier than marine grade plywood and more expensive but worth the price in my estimation. Any good lumber yard can give you information or you may GOOGLE it.
Happy Trails!
Old 05-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Rabat , Morocco
That Advantech does look good, but now trying to find someone who carries it is going to be fun!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Craig,
Any of your local Colorado Springs Lumber yards that cater to the homebuilding industry will carry Advantek. Give em a shout.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Wow! I am glad I read this post. I just laid down a piece of PT plywood... Luckily it was just one piece... whew! I was going to lay the laminate flooring over it this weekend... I would have been scratching my head wondering why my AS is "rusting" in a few months.