Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
Pressure Treated ????????

I was getting ready to replace my rear bath flooring and found out that the new pressure treated wood will not work with aluminum. You will see a warning lable on the wood saying that it has (sodium) in it that will not work with our A/S............
A friend of mine told me that they are having a hard time with nails as well with this stuff. It rot's them out and the fix on the wood has created other problems...................
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
And the old stuff had chromated copper arsenate (CCA) in it which is not safe for closed environments and children.

Thats why we use exterior grade plywood for floor replacment.

Nothing is easy.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskIt
A friend of mine told me that they are having a hard time with nails as well with this stuff. It rot's them out and the fix on the wood has created other problems...................
There's always a learning curve with new materials and methods.

Quick explanation.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

After soooome research I (and all other assosiated AS people), have found that the product called 'sturdy deck' is the one for the job. it's water resistant adhesive is truley almost water proof. coes in all thicknesses and has toung and groove edges. check it out. Good Luck.
blnfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnfuse
After soooome research I (and all other assosiated AS people), have found that the product called 'sturdy deck' is the one for the job. it's water resistant adhesive is truley almost water proof. coes in all thicknesses and has toung and groove edges. check it out. Good Luck.
well...how about a link to a website, or something? where can we buy it? how much? etc, etc...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
More information...

blnfuse,

There is a lot of discussion in these forums on the topic of floor replacement and what to use. Based on what I have read here it would seem to me to be a bit of an exageration to say that "all associated AS people agree" that sturdy floor is the best choice. Can you give more details as to why you think it is the best choice? Can you provide pointes to forum pages, manufacturer information and etc.? Also did you really mean "sturdy floor" or did you mean called "Sturd-I-Floor" that seems to be made by more than one company?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 08:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
blnfuse,

Also did you really mean "sturdy floor" or did you mean called "Sturd-I-Floor" that seems to be made by more than one company?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Sturd-I-Floor is an APA (The Engineered Wood Assoc) designation for plywood or OSB that meets specific performance standards. There is also a specification for Sturd-I-Wall, but nothing for Sturd-I-Deck or sturdy deck. There are several manufacturers.
http://www.apawood.org/level_c.cfm?c...ub_osb_libmain

So, if you're a landlubber you call it a floor, wall, or ceiling. If you're a sailor you call it a deck, bulkhead, or overhead.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Smile

I guess that I should have been more specific.

was talking about a product name. I know it as 'Sturdifloor'.
I like this stuff because it is rea plywood and it has ext glue, also the best part for me is the tounge and grove edge (along the lng sides).
It's about 25$ a 4x8 sheet so it's not too exp, and when glued together w/PL 400 it becomes a really good structural addition.
I would shy away from the OSB type of this flooring for obvious reasons.
My plan in use of this in an A/S is to paint the down side with a good quality ext paint before install just to add another layer ofmoisture protection.
Good Luck John
blnfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnfuse
I guess that I should have been more specific.

was talking about a product name. I know it as 'Sturdifloor'.
I like this stuff because it is rea plywood and it has ext glue, also the best part for me is the tounge and grove edge (along the lng sides).
It's about 25$ a 4x8 sheet so it's not too exp, and when glued together w/PL 400 it becomes a really good structural addition.
I would shy away from the OSB type of this flooring for obvious reasons.
My plan in use of this in an A/S is to paint the down side with a good quality ext paint before install just to add another layer ofmoisture protection.
Good Luck John
Sounds like a great plan!

For other people reading this thread, be aware that Sturd-I-Floor is also available as OSB, so don't order it sight unseen. Both the real plywood and the OSB meet the performance specs, so both can be called Sturd-I-Floor. I wouldn't use OSB for a floor, although I understand that even Airstream has used it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote