Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
Question Plywood Thickness

Well my Argosy had a solid floor throughout, at least I thought so.

After removing the water heater I found an area about 16" wide and 4 inches deep that should be replaced.

After skiming this section I saw nothing that hinted to what the stock plywood thickness is.

What is it??

After I install it I am going to use that epoxy sealer that absorbs into the rest of the wood. I've already hit the areas that are near water fixtures. Under the sink, under the water pump, etc

Take care
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Don't know about the Argosy, but my '66 Safari came stock with 5/8ths.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I believe the original was a fairly weak 1/2". Yes, 5/8ths could be close but it's hard to tell with these old dried out, compressed floors. Issues of concern are solid internal veneers -- something for which marine plys are noted. All plywoods usually have waterproof glue. Although it's not 100% water-excluding, I would still treat the perimeter with a high-solvent epoxy like Rot Doctor.

Do an advanced search with me (CanoeStream) as the username and 19/32" as the keyword. You'll find a number of threads -- though I'm not sure this is the total answer.

A useful idea is at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...pes-29321.html.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hi Sundance, Our 75 26ft Argosy had 3/4 in. plywood and our 79 has 1/2 in. plywood. Just cut back to the good wood and measure it. You are going to have to replace it anyway. Marivn
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance
Well my Argosy had a solid floor throughout, at least I thought so.

After removing the water heater I found an area about 16" wide and 4 inches deep that should be replaced.

After skiming this section I saw nothing that hinted to what the stock plywood thickness is.

What is it??

After I install it I am going to use that epoxy sealer that absorbs into the rest of the wood. I've already hit the areas that are near water fixtures. Under the sink, under the water pump, etc

Take care
Well to throw an egg at this project, on both sides of the water heater under the C-Channel there is an extrusion that is attached to the outer skin and the plywood floor slips into a groove on the inboard side. If you are going to replace the plywood all the way to the outside, it will have to be the same thickness as the grove in the extrusion. Our 77 24' rear door has 1/2' ply and the groove will fit maybe 17/32" thick. Just something to watch out for when doing your patch job.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Thanks All!!

The rot doesn't seem to go wide enough to get to the C channel. Just the area where the hot water heater door sits.

I will have to put on about a 2" overlay of aluminum to patch the very lip from galvanic corrosion.

I have used stuff on the trailer like the Rot Doctor. The stuff I have is Max PCR that I thinned with MEK and it really penitrates the wood.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Pull the aluminum tray in your battery compartment (2 screws). Bed underneath and re-seal the perimeter to the plastic case with Vulkem or Sikaflex 221!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Great suggestion............ will do.