Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
The good news is you have a great book. I had to read it in a single sitting.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Got rot?

Hey Laura,
I'm not too sure how bad your rear end is, but I'm sure if three guys said it was OK, then you shouldn't worry too much. I recommend removing the rear banana wraps to get a good look from underneath. If it looks like this you have a problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0048.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	126249Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0040.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	126248

Name:	DSC_0043.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	126250Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	126252

Name:	DSC_0051.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	126251
This is the street side rear corner of Abby. I have seen the fix as described above. If you look on Abby here, you'll find that the angle iron would be placed in an area that isn't really affected by the perimeter rot. As Frank stated it is the bumper hatch funneling water into the wood floor at the rear. Wish you the best with whatever is to be.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1960 28' Ambassador
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Laura we have a 73 Tradewind and face the same issues. We are going to have to replace the floor as itches rotted in several places though not along the entire rear end. The constructor cannot do it this summer so he has band aided and we are hoping for the best. And will take it easy on the road keeping a close eye on the structure. Our axles are in the right position now but we know that is a matter of time and may ground us at any time.

We are in New Smyrna, have family and friends that work at the Space center so understand your employment issue.

Would it help if you called Frank or someone else you check out completely and discuss cost of repair and ideas for temp patch ? Though this economy stinks we are seeing a few improvements. I am hoping things work out. You offer so much to the community with your organization.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
But if I find something alarming, I will probably just slap it back together and bawl like a baby.
Bawl like a baby, but don't slap it back together. It may look better after you've had a good cry. Sorry to hear it wasn't just on the surface and Frank's right—epoxy won't do it for a big hole. I was hoping for better for you.

Keep saying—"someday this will make a good story".

Gene
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
x

XXXX , XXXX
[QUOTE=Top;975067]Hey Laura,
I recommend removing the rear banana wraps to get a good look from underneath. If it looks like this you have a problem.
QUOTE]
Laura just make sure you remove the battery first before drilling out the rivets to remove the banana wraps. Ask Lance why and I'm sure he will tell you.
Sorry Lance I couldn't resist.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Well... I'm not going to rain on your parade.. but knowing that you're facing unemployement, and a possible move.....

I say just deal with it for now, enjoy the trailer as is... get your finances and job situation settled first.

Is it bad, yeah, probably will need to do as Frank says. Can it wait? Sure, it's probably been like this for a few years.. rot doesn't happen overnight. Peak at it.. sure, but only if you want to do something with it now.. which it doesn't seem like you can.. or should.

Plenty of trailers have moved around as is.. or worse condition. You won't fall through the floor on your toilet... if you do, send pics! I think you'd be the first! I wouldn't worry about camping or traveling now. Just empty your tanks first (grey and black) prior to travel....

Drink some wine, smile, and know you'll have a fun project to do... in the FUTURE! Everything in due time...
Marc
Old 04-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
This is going to give me nightmares tonight. I too have the rear separation issue, and I was planning on pulling the wrap off this weekend to take a peek, but now I think I'll wait...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Ponchatoula , Louisiana
Check out a thread by Beckybillrae called terrified of the belly pan. I was scared of all the work I need to do on my Trade wind at first. Some nice members gave me some good advice and threads to get me going. I'm starting to enjoy it now. If you fix it right, you'll get a few more decades of fun out of it.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Well... I'm not going to rain on your parade.. but knowing that you're facing unemployement, and a possible move.....

I say just deal with it for now, enjoy the trailer as is... get your finances and job situation settled first.

Is it bad, yeah, probably will need to do as Frank says. Can it wait? Sure, it's probably been like this for a few years.. rot doesn't happen overnight. Peak at it.. sure, but only if you want to do something with it now.. which it doesn't seem like you can.. or should.

Plenty of trailers have moved around as is.. or worse condition. You won't fall through the floor on your toilet... if you do, send pics! I think you'd be the first! I wouldn't worry about camping or traveling now. Just empty your tanks first (grey and black) prior to travel....

Drink some wine, smile, and know you'll have a fun project to do... in the FUTURE! Everything in due time...
Marc
Like I always say, if you don't get the answer you're looking for, just keep trying... So, this is an answer that I kinda like.... I've been up since 2:16 am worrying.

I will take a look at the underside this weekend so I know the frame situation. I might be able to get help from a laid-off welding instructor for repair (depending on what can be done without shell removal). But you are right: I don't have the resources to do a project repair right now. I can also try repair the bumper leak. Thankfully it's only exposed to rain when I am camping.

I have a tub of soft and hard furnishings that I've been *collecting* and was ready to dive into - new upholstry, drapes, flooring (lino), microwave, paint (again), towel bars, etc. If the trailer isn't going to fall apart on me, I'll start putting this stuff in the trailer and get it out of my *junk room*.

Laura

Thanks constructor for the idea about contacting Frank, et.al., about a temp patch. Will do after I take a peek.