Old 04-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man
Malcolm,

Thanks for the great info on your project! I have a few soft spots in my 75' Tradewind. In the fall I will have a look and see what kind of damage I am dealing with. If needed, a new floor will be my winter project. You mentioned several times in this thread that "The floor looks fine and seems plenty stiff enough to me". You have the distinct advantage of having done your floor in the same unit using plywood, how would you say the polyboard campares to plywood in terms of strength and stiffness. (which one is stiffer) I am 6'4 and weigh about 220. If I do replace my floor I would like to have one that does not flex under my weight if possible.
The plywood was definitely nice and stiff without having to add anything additional to stiffen it. The Polyboard does need something like what I did with the aluminum channel. I am 6'2 and weigh in at 230 lbs. I think the Polyboard as I have installed it is plenty stiff enough for me at my weight. I have been working back and forth in the AS installing insulation and various other things ever since having installed the Polyboard and I do not feel that there is any kind of a strength problem. I have had my portable air compressor running on the floor without problems too. The Polyboard seems to be pretty tough stuff. It just is not quite as stiff as plywood and needs the extra help. I am still very pleased with the results.

Malcolm

Old 04-28-2005, 12:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
There is some flexing...

I went out to the AS yesterday just to make sure what I was saying about the Polyboard stiffness was correct. I can detect some small amount of visible deflection of the floor when I stand in between the major cross members. I do not detect it at all when I walk around though. My aluminum bracing is probably not as stiff as if someone were to use some steel. I still am fine with the small amount of deflection but it could cause a problem if someone wanted to glue down 9" tiles. Both the small amount of deflection and the possible expansion/contraction could very well cause problems with flooring of that type. I am intending to use some sort of floating floor so do not feel this will be a problem for me at all. I guess the bottom line is that plywood does provide the best stiffness if that is an issue such as for flooring type. I still very much like the Polyboard for the fact that it is entirely waterproof.

Malcolm

Old 04-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #31

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Waterproof = GOOD

I agree that the fact that it is waterproof is a HUGE plus for the polyboard. If I end up ever replacing the floor in my Tradewind I will probably use it because sooner or later new leaks will develop and it would be nice to know that when they do that my floor will not be rotting as a result. I wonder if welding steel supports to the frame in about the same location and frequencies as Malcolm's aluminum bracing would result in a stiffer Polyboard floor? Of course that means even more weight added.

PWDF4 - I think you mentioned adding steel supports... How did that work out? Any flex in your floor? How much weight did you add to your trailer?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:07 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I think adding extra steel would significantly increase your weight. If you plan to upgrade your axles tho, it may be ok. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I have already replaced the floor once but made the mistake of using the new variety of treated plywood before I found out that it is way too corrosive to aluminum and steel.
Malcom, I know you posted this a long time ago, but this statement confuses me. Did you use the ACX 5/8" plywood that so many people use for floor replacements? What's this corrosion you found out about?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
Malcom, I know you posted this a long time ago, but this statement confuses me. Did you use the ACX 5/8" plywood that so many people use for floor replacements? What's this corrosion you found out about?
The first time I replaced my floor I used chemically treated 3/4" plywood. My unit uses 3/4" but I guess some models used 5/8". The problem with this solution was that the chemicals used to treat the plywood is way too corrosive to metal and especially aluminum. I could already see signs of problems when I pulled out the treated plywood to replace it with the Polyboard. Normal non-treated plywood does not have this problem (including ACX grade) only the chemically treated varieties.

Malcolm
Old 01-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Oh... good, I'm glad to hear that ACX won't do that! I was thinking that you were referring to ACX having this issue. I plan to start laying down my new ACX plywood floor next weekend after finishing the body lift this weekend. I've been shocked by the speed of my progress (that's the good kind of shock, of course).
Old 01-14-2006, 08:48 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Has anyone used MBO (Medium density overlay) for flooring. It is the material used for outdoor signs and is reported to be very water tolerant.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:17 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
To clarify, MBO is a plywood product with waterproof glue and with a resin impregnated 'paper' adhered to one side (or both).

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 01-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #38
Site Team

, Minnesota
Guy,

I didn't use mdo. I think the advantage would be that mdo is edge sealed, which is something everyone does anyway with penetrating epoxy, and the one smooth side.

Otherwise, it is just B-C exterior grade plywood.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
The entire surface, or both surfaces, are water proof (resistant?) because of the layer of resin/adhesive used to bond the 'paper' to the surface of the plywood.

Also, the mdo I have used for other projects had no voids. I don't think B-C grade plywood is without voids. Flooring underlayment is though.

Old 01-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #40
prettytall

Tallville , California
in boat building we use acx and then coat with West epoxy to waterproof, works great.

http://www.westsystem.com/

Old 02-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #41

rain city , Washington
Hey guy99,

My first choice in material for floor repair would be marine plywood.
But who can afford the stuff?
So I would use MDO.
MDO is awesome suff. Made to stand up to the elements and seems to be stiffer that like thickness ACX.
Most of the ACX I see is just bearly good enough- voids, warped, plug repaired.
The MDO is high quality, rock solid, dead flat, stiff and reasonably priced compared to ACX.
There is a reason freeway signs, billboards and concrete forms are made from it.
It lasts.

makarov