Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #21
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Boy, 2 1/2 years since I started this thread! Wow.

I ended up going with a pergo style flooring. I think it was armstrong purchased at Sam's Club. It went in pretty good. I learned a lot and could do better next time.

I just cut around the furniture and used 1/4 round molding where needed.

Be advised though, that molding ended up costing me more than the flooring!

I like the way it turned out and it looks great.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:39 PM   #22
Flyfishing, Guitars

1959 24' Tradewind
Breckenridge , Texas
Replacement flooring

Flooring is one of the first decisions I need to make on my '59 TRADEWIND re-do so this has been an interesting discussion.

I have put some Pergo flooring down in homes and have since been worried about the weight issue. I bought the '59 single axel Tradewind because I think it looks cool and it is very light weight.

I have been thinking about using one of the sheet flooring type products but am a little worried by these thinner products tendancy to telegraph floor irregularities thru to the surface. [Also, the thickness of most Pergo products is worrysome to me.] I have not had good results using self stick tiles.

My current thinking is to do a really super job of smoothing the sub-floor and use a single sheet laminate material. This means throw rugs for comfort on bare feet so when I build the cabinets I will just allow for the extra clearance.

Steve
59TW0132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:55 PM   #23
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Steve,
When I did Pergo in my house, the weight was around 2 pounds per square foot. If you only do the walking areas (not under the beds, sink etc) you have around 100 - 120 square feet of floor in your 59. That's 200 - 240 pounds, but it is spread evenly from front to back. You might want to look at Uwe's thread (A 63 for me), he did his unit with a cork floor. Looks great and much lighter then the Pergo. I do not know what kind of thickness the stuff is. The Pergo in my 75 (done by the PO) does not cause any problems due to the thickness.
Glad to hear you got your feet back on the ground. Loved that picture from an earlier post.

Richard

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I have put "Pergo" in 2 of my 3 and plan to put it in the 3rd in addition to a 31'er I am helping restore with a friend. I have little concern for the additional weight.... it is not that heavy. It looks great and wears like iron!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02810.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	17337  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Nothing really matched the dull color of the wood in our 78 Argosy. We went with a medium amber color on the wood flooring. Did stain the wood in the front of the trailer; however, I would not recommend doing that and I did not continue with the stain in the back of the trailer. Since these Argosys do not have the real wood, it is extremely hard to stain successfully. We're still looking for acceptable trim out for the flooring, but we're happy with the floor itself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	17339   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	17340  

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	17341  
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Caravel floor..

Steph,
Do you remember where in the forums there is info on the sq. ft. in a 17ft. Caravel? Only the exposed floor area. I want to use Pergo and I seem to remember an owner saying 2 boxes did the job. I found two boxes of a special order color, only 2 boxes, at my local HD and would like to use it if I can get by with 38 sq ft from both boxes.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I just kept looking

A rough measure of my open floor space (not including bathroom) is 28 square feet. That's about half a typical box of laminate flooring, so even with a LOT of waste (which is to be expected given all the tricky cuts), I should be fine with just one box. That's about $40-65 -- not bad.

I found this in the "another happy Caravel
owner" thread.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I am on the edge of ripping out carpet and going with a wood laminate floor. I have a few questions though...
1) Are laminate floors pretty much the same or should I go with Pergo? I hear there are some bargins to be had at Sams Club.
2) Has anybody tried the 5 inch strips? How do you think that they would look in comparison to the 3 inch ones?
3) I was thinking of doing the front half of the coach only leaving the bedroom and bath with carpet. Is there a reason not to do this?
4) Do any of you who have these floors have any "I wish I had known _____ before I did this" stories I should know about?
5) Any thoughts on direction of the strips? Cross way, lenth wise, diagonal?
6) How much wastage should I plan on?

Thanks

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I installed a laminate floor (Pergo type) with strips going lengthways - seems to me they should go in the direction of longest path, just my preference. Lay it out before you install and see which you prefer. I used the floor of the week from HD - basically whatever manufacturer was on sale that week. It has the same warranty as Pergo (15 years?) installed identical and looks the same. I don't live permanently in my A/S, so I think a 15 year warranty would be equivalent to about 100 years if it were in my home. There was very little waste. I did the entire trailer except up to the rear bed - very little carpeting in that area, and would have been difficult to install the laminate. The bathroom was a big priority - can't do carpeting in a bathroom. Too much water, sink & shower, two boys and Dad - all a bad combo for carpet. love the floor - cleans like new every outing and has withstood extreme temps and survived our highways and back roads.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Hi all,

has anyone of you Pergo/Laminate Floor Owners ever camped in the winter? How cold does it get?? Carped seems warmer for me, but we would like to have come Wood Laminate at least in the Bathroom and in the Kitchen Area, just a little unsure if it isn´t getting too cold in the winter...

Thanks

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
I installed a laminate floor (Pergo type) with strips going lengthways - seems to me they should go in the direction of longest path, just my preference. Lay it out before you install and see which you prefer. I used the floor of the week from HD - basically whatever manufacturer was on sale that week. It has the same warranty as Pergo (15 years?) installed identical and looks the same. I don't live permanently in my A/S, so I think a 15 year warranty would be equivalent to about 100 years if it were in my home. There was very little waste. I did the entire trailer except up to the rear bed - very little carpeting in that area, and would have been difficult to install the laminate. The bathroom was a big priority - can't do carpeting in a bathroom. Too much water, sink & shower, two boys and Dad - all a bad combo for carpet. love the floor - cleans like new every outing and has withstood extreme temps and survived our highways and back roads.
Ditto here, have pergo in 2 campers, Hall and living area in the Trade Wind, Living area in the Argosy 24' Installed the same as peegreen, length front to back. When it is cold out or rainy we put throw rugs to limit the mess.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02804.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	21313   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02810.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	21314  

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 05-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We put this in our last trailer and going to put in the new one too. It wears very well and I left some cut peices outside over the winter and summer in the weather and it didn't have any effect on them.
Attached Images

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
The bathroom was a big priority - can't do carpeting in a bathroom. Too much water, sink & shower, two boys and Dad - all a bad combo for carpet. love the floor - cleans like new every outing and has withstood extreme temps and survived our highways and back roads.
Peegreen,

Would love to see a pic of how you did the bathroom as I am in the same boat as you with two boys and a "big boy" in the house. I really want to put down pergo up front to my divider to the back and was contemplating how to do the bath with the head riser in there. I also have a carpet riser in the front along the edges that I'm not sure what to do with...If you have a pic that would be super...I'd really appreciate it!

I figure if I start an inside project maybe it will turn sunny outside again...can't seem to get my tongue done now that I started with all this rain!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bath.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	21315  
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
As soon as I can get a pic of the interior I will post it - pumping out the basement and waiting for the flood waters to receed. BTW, we use area rugs to add color, easy to shake out and throw in the wash, protects floor and the laminate can get slippery. When I compared the Pergo to the sale brand, Pergo had a very, very smooth surface, while this brand was slightly textured. The wife liked the "feel" of this better - seemed more like real wood??? I didn't care, we purchased based on price. It's for the trailer, not my living room, although I certainly would have used this product in the home.

Noticed your toilet is on a raised platform, mine is flat on the floor. I removed the toilet to install the floor. I left the strip of carpet between the bottom of the shower door and the floor. You could do the same with matching trim pieces that are available from the manufacturer where ever you decide to purchase. I will post photos of the details. I think I had to put one peice of toilet flange extender to accomodate the thickness of the floor.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Bathroom floor

This is what the floor looked like in our 1975 26' Argosy .
Attached Images

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
http://www.thepolishingguru.com/serv...ions.htmlCheck out the link above from the polishing guru - better pic then I can provide and looks more like your model/year. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #37
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
To pad or not to pad

I was thinking about getting some flooring for the Trade Wind and I notice some flooring is padded and some is not. Do I want one over the other?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I was thinking about getting some flooring for the Trade Wind and I notice some flooring is padded and some is not. Do I want one over the other?
Mine did not have the padding installed on the laminate. I did however, put down the barrier padding. I'd go with the pre installed!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 05-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Mine did not have the padding installed on the laminate. I did however, put down the barrier padding. I'd go with the pre installed!
I used the thin green foam underlayment recommended by the manuafacturer. If the laminate is prepadded, sounds like one less step, one less item to purchase. If it makes the job easier, I say go for it.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Quote:
I used the thin green foam underlayment recommended by the manuafacturer. If the laminate is prepadded, sounds like one less step, one less item to purchase. If it makes the job easier, I say go for it.
That is 'zacly right! I got mine on a close out, so I bought a roll of foam.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com