Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #1

1957 26' Overlander
SAN ANTONIO , Texas
Arrow patching the floor and how to revit on the inside

three small places in the floor need to be replaced and i am wondering what the steps are? 2nd....what are the steps to removeing and replacing revits on the interior?
SWAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I'll probably find out the answers to both your questions in a couple weeks. I'm picking up a '56 Overlander 26' this weekend and I expect that it will require considerable work. I may learn about more than floors and rivits!! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
There is an entire Sub-Forum dedicated to reapiring & replacing the floor (I've relocated this thread into it). You will find lots of experiences from mebers who have gone there before you! Browse around and feel free to post specific questions or problems as they arrive.

As far as replacing rivets, drill out the old ones with a bit the same size as the shank of the existing rivet. Then put the new rivet in the same hole using a rivet tool, here's a thread that talks about it more in-depth, I think it's mostly on exterior rivets, but the process & tools are the same.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Swain, Does your trailer have the 6-hole bolt pattern on the wheels? Hopefully, the '56 trailers would be the same as the '57. Thanks, Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAIN
three small places in the floor need to be replaced and i am wondering what the steps are? 2nd....what are the steps to removeing and replacing revits on the interior?
If the spots are not too big, I would cut a piece of 5/8" thick plywood to a size a little larger than the area to be removed. Then I would saw the marked area out of the existing floor. Then take some 5/8" plywood strips say about 6" wide x the length of the part you've removed. Seal the strips on all six sides with sealer - preferably a thinned epoxy. Also seal the edges of the cut out with the sealer. Let it all dry. Take some 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant and coat one side of the strips well. Place the strip on the underside of the floor with the adhesive against the bottom of the floor. Leave about 1-1 1/2" of the strip inside of the hole you cut so there will be something to screw the patch to. Then screw the strip to the floor through the floor with plenty of wood screws. Make sure the heads countersink to below the surface of the floor even if you have to predrill them and use a countersink. When the adhesive dries (5-7 days) it will help seal the seam plus hold the strip in place. After all four strips are in place, apply a liberal amount of 5200 to the side of the strips facing you, then put the patch piece in place making sure the seams around it fill completely with 5200. Screw the patch to the strips. Wipeup excess 5200 with mineral spirits. The 5200 will be tacky for a few days but when it's dry - it's stronger than the wood.

To remove interior rivets use a 1/8" drill bit. Just drill into the hole in the existing rivet. Replace by placing a 1/8" rivet in pop rivet gun, place in the hole and pull the lever.

Good luck.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
I have the same problem over the weekend i was pulling up &out the twin beds in my 75 31 ft Sov to get to the water pipes.And i notice in the back along the wall in two different places under each bed that i have one bad spot on the wall side in the middle of one bed, the size of my fest.The other is under the other bed the size of 2 of my fest.But its in the back part of the U which worries me alot.Even thow i wouldn't of found it if i haded been making miner repair and it has been like this for the last 3 years that Ive owned it.How should i go about fixing this.I myself cant remove the body off the frame like you guy are doing.But i do want to repair it.The last owner didn't tell us and they tryed to fix or cover it up by throwing a piece of plywood over it and left it...
Angel73 is offline   Reply With Quote