Old 04-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
1985 27' Sovereign
City , British Columbia
Patch or replace floor on 85 Sovereign?

I recently picked up an 85 Sovereign 27' rear bath model with the intention of full-timing in it this summer. I'm sure you've all heard this one before, but I thought I did alright picking out this trailer which appears to be in good health but for some issues with the subfloor that I discovered post-purchase.

The subfloor around the edges has had some water infiltration and rot starting behind the wheel well on the port side and all the way around the back of the bathroom past the water heater on the starboard and under the kitchen sink. It looks like the previous owner painted the OSB around the edges with fiberglass resin in the not too distant past (within the last month or two I think). Unfortunately after having the door closed for a bit it smells so strongly in there there's no way we could sleep in it. I don't think the resin has cured and I understand the fumes are toxic so I'm worried about the safety of the trailer if I don't pull out the subfloor. The unfortunate part is that the trailer and all of its appliances and subsystems seem to otherwise be in good working order so it seems a shame to gut it. I've looked around on these forums and have found lots of people replacing floors in 70's and older trailers but haven't found many examples of floor replacements in the 80's models.

Having not done this before, can anyone point me to some resources that would be applicable for this generation of trailer?

Is the floor on these models assembled in the same manner as the earlier generations? (Does the c-channel run all the way around the trailer or does it differ in the back or on the sides?)

It seems dry in the middle, is patching around the edges an option?

What's a realistic time frame to expect if I were to replace the whole subfloor with the shell and frame on, working on it evenings and weekends? I'm reasonably handy and motivated but inexperienced with this type of reno and the idea of a shell off renovation seems daunting given my goal of having it safe and habitable in 1-2 months.
evenkeel is offline   Reply With Quote