Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #113
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Smile Hoo! Ray!

Finished installing the floor today!! Yeah!!!! Actually, I still have to install the last section in the rear, but that won't happen until the shell is ready to be attached. But if the weather holds out, I hope to get the frame re-united with the shell this weekend. I just may have this project road-worthy by September after all.

I re-installed the original wheel-wells after repairing some cracks and abrasions with fiberglass and epoxy resin. I may reinforce them with another layer of fiberglass...just to give them a little more strength. And then I am planning to build new interior wheel wells to replace the very fragile 'yellow' plastic originals.

I got lucky this week and found an almost new Dometic 6.0 cf Classic fridge for less than half retail. I hope I'm lucky, anyway. We'll see when we hook it up and try it out...at some point down the road. But the PO said it only had a few hours on it. So I am hopeful.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	188664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	188665  

Name:	IMG_0352.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	188666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	188667  

Old 06-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #114
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Looks Great. Just curious, what will you rebuild the wheel well covers out of? Mine are pretty much junk but I cant bring myself to spend allot replacing them when they will be covered with a bunk bed on the one side and a bathroom cabinet on the other.
Thanks!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #115
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yeah! Major progress!

Kay
Old 06-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Thanks! I will insulate around the wheel wells and then box them in using cabinet grade plywood to match the rest of the cabinetry to be built. I'm not sure if they will show in my final design...but at least I'll know they look good. hehehe
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #117
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Three Steps Forward....One Step Back....

If I had any hair, I would'a pulled it out today....

So, sometime ago, I ordered 2 very expensive Fantastic Vent / Fans from (you know who). They arrived a few weeks ago...separately boxed in one big outer box. I opened the big box...opened the first of the 2 inner boxes...was satisfied with what I found...and put them away for a sunny day.

Well, today was that sunny day. My frame and new sub-floor are just about ready to be re-united with the shell. So, I thought today would be a good day to install the Fantastic Fans. First, I had to cut out the rounded corners of my old vent spaces to accept the square profile of the new vents. I had been a little worried about taking any sort of saw to the aluminum. But was very relieved that my DeWalt grinder with a metal cutting disk cut through like butter....nice and clean. Easy-peasey.

After cleaning off the aluminum with de-natured alcohol, I applied 3/4" butyl tape to the underside of the first fan...and then applied a liberal amount of sealant to the inner and outer perimeter of the vent casing. Dropped it in the hole...drilled out the holes, and secured the fan with 8-32 x 1" ss machine screws, locking washer and nuts. Done!

Then I prepared the second hole....even easier now that I wasn't afraid of mutilating the shell. Went to open the previously un-opened 2nd box... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! Different color fan...different color cover. REALLY?!?!? (Famous Name Vintage Airstream Supplier)...Were you on drugs when you fulfilled this shipment?!?!?!?! WHY the HECK would you do that!?!?!??! Send me two completely different colored fans?!?!?! Well...I decided to heck with it...and installed it anyway. When I get closer to completion....I will take a can of Krylon and fix the problem. But REALLY!?!?!?! I spent that much money, and you sent me 2 completely different colored fans?!?!? You're going to get a call from me in the very near future!

The 3rd hole, I filled with a manual operation Fantastic Vent with a smokey cover....a skylight for most days....a vent for when I burn the bacon. It, by the way, was at least the same color as the first vent that I unpacked and installed.

So, in the end, I have 3 beautiful new vent/fans....that look like they came from 3 different families. Krylon, that will fix it. But ARGH!!!!!!!

Then....just as I was smoothing out the last bit of sealant around my new fans....the skies opened up and POURED rain all over my fresh sealant. I cursed loudly at the skies above....and climbed down off of my scaffolding....aware that I would probably have a re-do to do on the seams....but happy that 3 of the 4 holes in my roof are plugged.

Now for the 4th hole....a Dometic low profile a/c unit. But I may wait until the shell and frame are reunited...and the running lights are hooked up....and then take it to an installer. I don't think I am up for hoisting 97 lbs of a/c up onto the roof by myself. But I sure am looking forward to getting that job done...and freeing up some floor space in my garage.

Peace! And have a great 4th of July everyone!!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #118
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Darn, I guess I better go open my second box! ........Phew, I'm good!

I bet they make it right. Just curious, if you use the locking washer and nut what happens later if you need to remove the fan?

Fantastic fans are on my list for this week....
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
The locking washer holds the nut tight, considering the amount of movement in the shell as it bounces down the road, but it does not prevent removal of the nut.

I'm confident I will be dead before these fans need to be removed.....LOL.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #120
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Until you meet your first major hailstorm or? ! My question is this.... Can you remove the screws without access to the nut? My worry is that I'd need to remove interior skins again, which is not going to happen!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I think the answer to your question is no....cannot remove the screw without losing the washer and nut in this case. The units came with their own screws without nuts, but I was concerned about the swiss cheese effect, and that they might not have a lot of holding power...which would then lead to premature leaks.

I see your point regarding possible hail damage, and the need to remove. But I think the covers are able to be removed without taking out the whole unit. In the case of catastrophic failure, where the whole unit needs to be removed, I would probably just go up to the next size of machine screw sans washer and nut and call it good.

Note to self: Must purchase and travel with large galvanized buckets to cover and protect Fantastic Vents during hail storms.....LOL.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #122
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Preparing for Launch

Spent the day raising the shell to its pre-rejoining-with-the-frame height. I thought it was way up there when I removed the frame without the wheel wells last Fall. Now it's going to seem REALLY high with the wheel wells re-installed. And of course....severe thunderstorms in the forecast for late tonight and tomorrow afternoon. I hope it doesn't fly away on me.

Need to take the bull by the horns and get the shell back on, so I can take the rig to have the a/c installed....to plug up that last big hole in the roof. I earlier installed 2 auto-Fantastic Fans front and rear, and a manual FF fan with a smokey cover for a skylight amidships. As for other holes, I replaced the old TV antenna with a Jack HDTV antenna...and the nearby hole for the old antenna cable, I plugged with an external WiFi antenna mount. Did my first Olympic rivets on the roof too, where several were found popped. So far so good with the rivet gun.

So, sometime this week, I hope to be able to back the frame under the shell, which is likely to be a very difficult and tense job, since the AS is on a very narrow alley....and my angle of attack is pretty tight. But I am hopeful I will be able to get it done, if I go slow.

I will be much relieved when this part of the project is done..... Please send positive vibes my way.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Near Touchdown

Gathered my courage today to raise the shell (45 inches) and re-unite it with the frame. I guess after you have done it once to remove the frame, it's not such a big deal. But it got a little hairy when I had to stack cinder blocks on one side for support because of the proximity to the neighbor's garage....not enough room for a more sturdy platform. There wasn't much room to maneuver the truck and the frame in the alley either, but I managed to get it more or less under the shell without knocking it off its pillions. Then a couple helpful neighbors assisted in muscling it into place. The sun was starting to set, so I lowered the shell as far as the bottle jacks would allow, and tied it off for the weekend.

Here's how my day went......

Much more work to be done....but at least this major hurdle is behind me.

Time for some much needed motorcycling......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0373.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	190676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	190677  

Name:	IMG_0378.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	190678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	190679  

Old 07-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Nice work!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Gee. I visit, volunteer, leave contact info, and promptly get snubbed on being asked to help as within 24 hours the shell gets landed... I'll interpret it as the largest favor done on my behalf in a long, long time. Thank you! The offer still stands, I left my number w/ R.

Remember if you jack on the trailer floor-to-shell to finally land the shell, place stabilizers ground-to-frame as the flexible frame will dip and wobble. If you don't have a set of the screw jack stabilizers I have a set available...

Looking good, especially dodging storm damage. Never seen serial sidewalk buckling up three feet, every twenty-five feet for half a block like a bizarre suburban obstacle course from where trees toppled over. The 3-foot tall Honda Odyssey was also noteworthy. I'm glad the second-hand pylons worked for you!!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I hope the [sarcasm] tags were obvious on my snobbery comment

Way excellent deliberate process you've got, compliments!

Another series of thoughts hard to put into text follows:

I think I amplified a pleat of loose shell skin popping out at the wheel well openings by having the frame leveled & braced while attaching the side and rear C-channel. As soon as the frame is unsupported on these old trailer frames, and some sag happens, the flex point on the shell is above the wheel wells so that skin-flap above them can/does pucker or resist being taut once the well tubs & trim sections go back on.

I also did not think about exaggerating any stretching of the shell until after I'd tied down to behind the wheel wells. Wracking the door frame away from square/parallel would be bad, I may have added just under 1/4" to the opening bottom width as mine played out.

So - Front tie plate locked down, front C-channel to complete door frame aligned and locked down, and the rest of it follows those surveyed benchmarks.

Seeing how mine played out got me started thinking about how the aft frame settles with load on it, and how to 'stretch' the shell against the front anchor plate, C-channel & entry door with the frame NOT blocked level, allowing it to droop under its own and the mechanics inside weight. Even vanishing 1/8" of friction binding (and it does bind!) in the c-channel-to-shell from the remaining circumference 'in play' while squaring the back and choosing the rear-sheet cut 'landing zone' will make a visible difference once the rivets start going in. The shell is very stiff but there is some degree of loading play on it...

Again, not meaning to convey true snubbished-upon or whinging-snubblingtude, was a rare chance to thank you for being excluded from an DIY ulcer brewing situation

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote