Old 11-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Slow Progress

I've been on hold for a couple of weeks now, waiting for materials to arrive and waiting for the sandblasting shops to get around to returning my calls and emails.

So, I decided to go ahead and start on the sub-floor. I figured I could get the pieces cut now...and then seal and paint them while the frame is being worked on. That is, if I can find a shop to do the work. May also need some welding done...maybe replace one or two outriggers and the last 2 cross members, which are pretty rust pitted and compromised. I may try to find a mobile welder, instead of dragging my naked frame all across the metro.

I was thinking about having the frame powder-coated, rather than painted. And the shops that I talked to told me that the process could not be done with axels and wheels attached. So, I contacted Andy @ Inland...and should have new running gear by the end of next week. I still don't know if I am going to go ahead with powder-coating, but at least I will have the new running gear...which is badly needed.

Picked up 6 sheets of 3/4inch High Density Overlay. Not easy stuff to work with...heavy, with a smooth finish...hard to grab hold of. Fortunately, I had a buddy to help me move it around.

I had originally planned a shell-on floor replacement...and so removed most of the old rotten sub-floor in pieces. The rear bath area was totally disintegrated, and the front was pretty ragged under the c-channel. Fortunately, I saved all of the old pieces, so I could re-assemble them on the frame....match up the edges and holes where the elevator bolts were....and get a pretty good idea of what the dimensions should be. I'm sure I will have to do some fine tuning. But as far as I could tell, the old sub-floor had approximately a 1/2inch overhang of the outriggers. I hope that will be true when it comes time to re-unite the shell and the frame.

Everything was going fine until I got to the wheel wells....and then things started going a little astray. The edges of the HDO were lining up fine with the cross members of the frame...but things were getting a little wonky around the edges, and I was losing my 1/2inch overhang. Upon doing a string test, I discovered that it appears my frame is about 1 inch out of square and the old axels are not mounted true...most likely due to a PO accident at some point. Of course, I didn't figure this out before starting on the floor. So, there is a little wierdness around the wheel wells...but I'm hoping it will be ok, since that area is beneath the covers anyway. I'll figure something out....

Anyway...one more piece to cut...the rear section...for which I have no pattern. I may crawl under the shell and do a story board...or see if by chance...the silhouette for the back is the same as the front (I couldn't be that lucky, could I?)

In other news, during my idle time over the last week or so....have been working on some dents in the shell....especially the big one in the front that was caused when the shell shifted during the initial lifting attempt. I am happy to say that I was able to coax it back into place with the judicial use of a rubber hammer. Probably will need some fine tuning later on...but I am happy and relieved with the results so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	172066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	172067  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	551.2 KB
ID:	172068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	172069  

Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Maybe a little late, a good frame shop may right the wrongs Joe Somewhen left as that Easter Egg you've now discovered - with little or no trauma/drama...

You will need to have overlap of the aft spar to the formed iron tie plate to the back skin sheet with the floor sheet acting as a spacer, and as they collide you want the shell to have been stretched & held to eliminate long sides slop and tension up the ends arcs - front tie plate is corner stone with everything else progressing onwards from it.

Was that clear as mud? Save cutting that sheet until the above scenario has elapsed - and then fit it w/o fear or adrenalin rushing you...

I am currently westbound in an Ohio toll road oasis watching a nice wet snow shower, back to MSP tomorrow, hope our weather holds...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
More Slow Progress

After negotiating with a bunch of different shops on frame work ($$$$$$), finally found an out-of-the-way shop that did a great job for only $. Replaced the last 2 cross members and beefed up the main rails aft of the wheels, as well as repaired several of the outriggers. And he did a great job installing my new Dexter axels, which turned out to be larger diameter than the originals, so he had to do a little cutting to make 'em fit. I had noticed in the rear view mirror when towing the frame prior, that the wheels/axels were not aligned properly. Now they look to be perfect. Yay!!

The frame is now at the sandblaster/painter...in que...and should be looking like new in a couple of weeks.

Still hoping for mild weather here in Minneapolis, so I can continue to work on the new floor. If not, I will tarp the frame or find some indoor storage until Spring.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
When sliding the frame back under the shell you'll find that its now 3" - 4" higher because of the new axles.
So you'll have to .... you get the idea

Great thread !

I'm now going after the rear section of the floor on my '69 TW. Your pictures are a great help. Thanks for posting. Watching this thread.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
2004 Chevy SSR+ 4 other trailers & 6 other Cars & Trucks and 2016 Kia Soul EV
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Home at last....

Finally brought the frame home today. Some welding repairs, new axels, wheels, tires...and a brand new paint job. Now, if winter would just go away... so I could get to work again.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #62

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
When sliding the frame back under the shell you'll find that its now 3" - 4" higher because of the new axles.
So you'll have to ...
Let the air out of the tires?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Probably won't be able to let too much air out, as I have to muscle it around by hand to get it back under the shell...not enough room in the alley to maneuver my TV. But I've got some 30" supports to jack it up for the re-uniting....just a little stressful having it hanging out in mid-air like that. Hopefully I can find some buds to give me a hand. But it will be awhile...have to build the new floor first...and that probably won't happen until Spring. Bring on Spring!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #64
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
Beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
Finally brought the frame home today. Some welding repairs, new axels, wheels, tires...and a brand new paint job. Now, if winter would just go away... so I could get to work again.
Alas we know your pain. Keep at it and it will happen. Don't give up and keep consulting the Forum experts. They helped us a lot during our shell off renovation of the Albatross during the cold ND winter.
Sandy
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
It sure is looking great so far. I can't wait to see pictures of your progress after the snow melts.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
While it is hanging in mid air, what happens if gail force winds show up?

Gene
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
Hopefully I can find some buds to give me a hand. But it will be awhile...have to build the new floor first...and that probably won't happen until Spring. Bring on Spring!!!
Let us know when you're ready in the Spring. We'll come help if we can!

Chris
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Let us know when you're ready in the Spring. We'll come help if we can!

Chris
Hopefully I will last that long. Currently 4 days in the hospital with pancreatitis. Spring is looking a long way off
Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A friend had pancreatitus a couple of years ago at Thanksgiving. She was in the hospital for several days—don't remember how long. She was told not to drink alcohol and I don't think they ever figured it out. She drinks much less alcohol now and has been fine every since. She had been getting ready to have many people over for Thanksgiving dinner and we wondered how much the stress was affecting her and whether her pancreas got inflamed as a warning to do less. She took the warning and has cut back to just do twice as much as any normal person.

Gene
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
A friend had pancreatitus a couple of years ago at Thanksgiving. She was in the hospital for several days—don't remember how long. She was told not to drink alcohol and I don't think they ever figured it out. She drinks much less alcohol now and has been fine every since. She had been getting ready to have many people over for Thanksgiving dinner and we wondered how much the stress was affecting her and whether her pancreas got inflamed as a warning to do less. She took the warning and has cut back to just do twice as much as any normal person.

Gene
Pancreatitis can be caused by a number of things including alcohol abuse, sensitivity to high blood pressure meds like hydrochlorothiazide (in my case) and LASIX also for blob pressure. Also too much fat and sugar in the diet. Anyway, I won't be sipping any spirits this year

Happy New Year