Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Thanks Minno!

I too am planning on a cork floor, so I may not insulate the belly. I don't really plan on much cold weather camping. And most of the time, I believe I will be hooked up, rather than booning. Going to try the catalytic heater and see how it goes, since I will also have an additional fireplace type electrical heater in the front (in theory). I'll reserve the space where the old furnace was...just in case I decide to go that route later on.

The tankless water heater is a Girard, which is made for RVs. I know it limits me to a hook-up...which will be the case most of the time. But if I wanted to boon, I wouldn't have a problem with boiling a pot of hot water to wash up (I kind of like roughing it...just not in a tent on the ground...LOL). And most of the time, I will probably camp where there is a hook-up.

I am also eliminating the toilet and shower (since most of the time, I will be hooked-up with toilet and shower facilities that somebody else can clean. Ha). But I will have a bathroom style wash area. That will probably give me enough room near the axels for the battery and converter. Since I'm changing most of the floor-plan, I am concerned about messing up the weight distribution.

I'll post some more pictures after I have the floor out (hopefully today or tomorrow)

Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Eliminate the toilet?!??!? You must be a youngster (i.e., someone that doesn't need a toilet at 2 am most nights).

I suppose since you plan on going that route, you can use the black tank space for a gray tank. Perhaps even use the black tank as a gray tank, except then you'll have to cap off the toilet flange opening somehow. Plus add a fitting for sinks to drain into the tank. Since you have a 72, you do know you don't have a gray water tank, right?

So what will you do with all the extra space you'll gain in the bathroom? Personally, I wouldn't go that route, but hey, she's your trailer. Make her into what works for you.

Chris

Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
My black tank was eliminated when the PO removed the toilet/bathroom due to the rotting floor. So, it is history. As it is, if I camp in a tent, I have to seek out the facilities whether it's 2 in the afternoon or 2 in the morning. So, not having a toilet in the Airstream isn't really going to be that different from my past experience (yes, it will be a little inconvenient to not have that convenience...). And if I were booning, I could always bring a long a chemical toilet and put it in one of those nifty cabanas....same with a shower set up.

The former bathroom in the back of my Trade Wind is going to be a full sized bed with storage underneath...along with the tankless water heater and the converter. In theory anyway... haven't got that far. LOL And the area along the starboard side, where there was a fold out bed, will be a desk and storage area...along with the battery box (maybe/probably).

I think I have a gray tank sitting along side my fresh tank (I'll try to post a pic of what I found when I took up the floor. It has no connections on it, so I don't know if the PO used it. I haven't tried to get either of them out yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	170087  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Look for me tomorrow, I'll swing by.. Call if you have need of particulars..

Pictured there is the fresh tank - it's double-wide.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Ah....cool. Thanks man. I should be there after 10.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yup - that's just one fresh water tank. About 45 gals.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
A beautiful day for demolition

Pretty happy with the way things progressed today. Was able to remove much of the floor and almost half of the internal skins...with the help of a couple of friends. I am confident the remaining skins will come off tomorrow morning...along with the remaining pieces of flooring. I am excited because I will then be able to see what I have and make plans for the next step...which may or may not include removing the shell and taking the frame to be sandblasted. Waiting for quotes/estimates.

Hoping for dry weather.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	170132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	170133  

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	170134  
Old 10-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Demo-liscious!!!

The rain held off long enough for me to get a lot done today. Finished removing all of the interior skins (not the end-caps) and all of the RATty and MOUSEy insulation...but NO dead bodies were found. I debated whether to do this...but I'm glad I did, as I found 3 popped rivets in the roof that I might not have otherwise found for awhile...that would have been sources of major leaks. Yeah!!!

One more day of demo to finish removing the sub-floor, belly skin and water tanks. At that point, I will decide whether I am going to remove the shell and deliver the frame to a contractor to sandblast and do any necessary repair on the outriggers. I feel if I do this, it will be a major step forward in the time-line for completing this project. And like they say....time is money.

Also looking forward to showing this project to an electrician friend of mine. Hopefully, he will be interested in updating and re-routing things to suit my needs.

I'm a happy (future) Streamer!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	170164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	170165  

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	170166  
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Purman recently redid his trailer, for ther 2nd time. His latest thread on this was this year and you should be able to find it with the search function using his name and for threads only and limit to threads started this year. Use the "advanced" search. It might be helpful to you. He did it fast!

Gene
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Look Ma, No Floor!!

Finally, FINALLY got the rest of the sub-floor removed today. At some point, my '72 had seen some damage curb-side front. The number of screws and bolts holding down the c-channel was just amazing. And of course, most of them were rusted...unwilling to be taken out...and with just enough life left in them to be a real pain. So, I went after them all with a grinder and took their rusted little heads off...then used a nail punch to get them out of the way. The final section of sub-floor in the nose was just stubborn as hell. So I cut it up into chunks and hammered and grunted until they finally gave way.

Then I went after the belly pan. Again, there was damage from the previous repair...jagged edge...lots of holes...lots of different types of rivets, screws, bolts holding it on. Finally, I get fed up and ground off the rivet 'shrooms' on the inside and gently whacked it with a hammer until it fell free. I'll save it and use it as a template for a new belly skin.

Next up came the water tank. Tried to remove the pan yesterday, but upon closer inspection, found the fresh water tank (if you can call it that after it's been sitting in a field un-used for more than 5 years) half full. So I pulled the plug and let it drain over night. Today, I drilled a few heavy screws into the leading edge...grabbed hold with a claw hammer...sitting on the ground....and heaved until it finally slid free. Lots of gunk in there keeping it tight...but it finally gave up the fight.

So, no more interior skins...no more floor...no more water tank...no more belly pan or skin. Just a moderately rusted frame that looks to be in pretty good condition otherwise. Hoping to take it to be sandblasted soon.

My big frustration today was with the olympic rivets holding the street side wrap on. Could not get them to punch out, so I could drill them out and free the wraps and the banana wrap. Really wanted to get all of that off today so I could be prepared to lift the shell. I guess I'm going to grind them off on the inside and then punch them out with a nail set/punch. And I guess that means I need somebody on the other side providing some resistance, so I don't deform the side panels in the process.

Anyway, it will have to wait for another day....as I will be in the emergency dental chair tomorrow....argh!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	170378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	170379  

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	170380  
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
is looking good!
you are doing a great job. thanks for sharing
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I can't wait to see it down to the frame.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Man, does that bring back memories... She's looking good!

Chris
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Very informative; thanks!

* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote