Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #141
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
In Polishing Hell...

It has been hell trying to get the corroded clear coat off. Numerous coats of stripper...all with limited success...usually leaving brighter streaks and shadows all over the skin. I just wanted a nice mat finish for my first year... not really a 'shine'...something more subtle. After all...there is so much other work that needs to be done. But, I guess when I can't do other major work for one reason or another, I may as well polish.

So, at this point, I am about 80% of where I want to be with the finish. Out of a process of elimination, I ended up using Aircraft Paint Stripper (which warns not to use on aircraft...huh???), followed by several pressure washings, followed by application of F9, followed by lacquer thinner or de-natured alcohol to remove the rouge, followed by buffing out (by shear force of will) with a wool pad on my low-rev drill...then more lacquer thinner or de-natured...and some more buffing. It's not perfect...but I guess it will do for now.

In the meantime, I picked up some cool forest green benches for the forward dinette. Not a perfect solution either....but will do for now.

NOW....on to the electrical!!! It would be great to be able to work in some air conditioned comfort....and not too long from now....some warmth (just say NO). Gotta get this project moving forward, so I can tow it the heck out of here before winter sets in again. I just don't think I can stand to see "Madmen" sitting under ice and snow again... just too sad to contemplate.

In the meantime, it almost looks like I'm ready to go.... almost....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0538.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	193882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0535.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	193883  

Name:	IMG_0530.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	193884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0541.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	546.5 KB
ID:	193885  

Old 08-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #142
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The dinette benches look good. Polishing is polishing. Probably good to accept perfection is not attainable and getting the interior done is more important.

We all wish we had more time for everything.

Gene

Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
After numerous experimentations, we ended up with aircraft stripper (just don't inhale). We found a couple dents we hadn't known about. Ours looks better overall, but not wonderful. We did go over it with hand polishing. Heavy duty polishing is a next summer project. We're still trying to get the interior done, and other things are slowing us down. We're not going to go for a high polish, just something nice....

Kay
Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 AM   #144
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Yeah, that aircraft stripper is something else. I think I may have fried a few brain cells while using it. Thankfully, I think I have only one more panel that needs a coat of the stripper before buffing out the corrosion.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #145
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Small progress in the heat...

Been down with a bug and hiding from the heat and humidity. But I managed to get a few things done the last couple of days.

-Finished installing new LED running lights

-Installed new level indicator

-Installed Furrion generator inlet, 30amp inlet and cable/phone inlet (I wish they made a city water inlet?)

-Tried out my new bucking gun and repaired the hinge on my refer access door. I think I'm going to enlarge the a/c outlet in my refer access door to accommodate a heavier duty outlet and cover. Couldn't really find a weatherproof cover that I liked at the Big Box stores. I bought one and painted it...but I think I really like the stainless steel Marinco cover a lot more.

-I reinstalled the tail-light housings. A PO had done a real hatchet job on the cut-outs (from a previous repair), so it was a challenge to get them in a position where they will not be likely to leak (which they did...a lot...before). Unfortunately, I was forced to drill some holes in the corners of the blue stripe so I could use some #10 screws to temporarily attach the housings to the shell. Once I am able to drill new rivet holes in the back - or use some ss self-tapping screws to permanently attach the housings....I will remove the visible screws and fill the temp holes on the outside. Once repaired and painted, I don't think the repair will be visible. I used mastic tape to attach the housings and to seal the backsides. I hope with proper sealing around the edges, they will look great and most of all...not leak anymore. My cans are in pretty good condition... a little rust. I will treat the rust and then re-install them along with the new LED kit that allows for the use of the tail-light monitors (which I just ordered a new metal cover for).

Tomorrow I will tackle the scare light. I have a new LED light for that as well. But I am going to have to hunt for some gasket material. The PO also did a hatchet job on this area...using silicone to seal around the light...thus scarring the aluminum approximately 1/2" beyond the diameter of the light housing. I think I am going to have to get creative to hide this haze.

While I'm up there, I may as well install the new door/stair LED light as well. I removed the old housing, cleaned it up and sanded it silky smooth.

I'm ready for a nap already.....

Pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0553.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	194473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	194474  

Name:	IMG_0556.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	194475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	194476  

Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #146
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Let There Be Lights!!

Turns out, I should have taken more shop classes in high school. I have been REALLY sweating and pondering over the installation of the electrical system (read: really afraid of electrical anything). But with the very generous help and guidance of some fellow Streamers (Thank you Minno!!!!!), I was able today to get my clearance lights and scare light installed and working beautifully.

I have ordered a new 7-pin receptacle, which will hopefully arrive very soon. Then I will be working on getting the running lights and other basics working, so I can take my wheels and axels out for some much needed exercise.

I also proceeded today with running the 10/2 'romex' for the 30amp shore and generator inlets. I will be building a shallow cabinet underneath the front window to house my convertor, 1800w inverter, battery cut-off, generator relay and surge suppression....and whatever other 'glamper' gadget I can wrap my brain around. At the moment, I am seriously considering putting the batteries out on the frame...but there may not be enough room for that. We shall see.

But for the moment....I have LIGHTS!!! And they sure are pretty!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	194992  
Old 09-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #147
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yes, they are pretty! Isn't it nice to have something tangible you can see as progress!

Chris and Kay
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #148
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Spent the day building a support for my new yet-to-be-installed Penguin II. I think it came out pretty well. Looking forward to having some a/c on these hot days...of which, not many are left.

Also began building a mock-up of my forward electronics cabinet that will house the converter, relay switch, surge protection, battery switch, etc...etc...etc. Had a bunch of plywood left over from the floor... When I get the details worked out, I may rebuild it with some nicer wood to match the rest of the cabinetry.

Also roughed in most of my 120v circuits today with 12/2 (10/2 from the 30amp and generator inlets to the converter). My converter will handle quite a few circuits...so I split things up pretty well. Easier to track down any future problems that way.

Lastly, I ordered a new 7-pin socket which arrived today. Had to enlarge the whole a little to get it installed. And...it's wired differently than the old one. So much for a direct replacement. That means I will probably be buying a new umbilical end to match as well.

Tomorrow...wiring the 7-plug and running 12v circuits....

Time for a nap....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0598.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	195115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0599.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	195116  

Name:	IMG_0600.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	195117  
Old 09-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Congratulations on this work it's looking great! Not to put a damper on the project but I saw you mentioned ROMEX 10/2 cable. Not sure if it's standard solid conductor or not but others who have a lot of RV wiring experience here suggest the use of tinned stranded cabling to reduce the possibility of fatigue cracks and loose connections that can happen with solid conductors in moving applications. I plan to use 10/3 stranded cable from west marine when I finally do my solar wiring. Just wanted to mention this to you while the walls are still open. Perhaps others will chime in as well. -Brad
Old 09-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #150
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Thanks! And thanks very much for your input, Brad. Wouldn't be too much trouble to switch the 30amp and gen inlets to stranded....relatively short runs. Kinda hate to trash 75+ feet of new circuit 12/2...but will definitely look into it. Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
Thanks! And thanks very much for your input, Brad. Wouldn't be too much trouble to switch the 30amp and gen inlets to stranded....relatively short runs. Kinda hate to trash 75+ feet of new circuit 12/2...but will definitely look into it. Thanks again!
No Problem. I've wired a lot of audio racks and I know how it feels when someone else come us and says "Well if it were me i woulda" and the emotion that goes with that. I just had to mention it cause of the work it takes to open up and close them purty aluminum panels and the pain and suffering when trying to find a broken wire or intermittent connection caused by equipment movement during travel.

Great project and thanks for the continuing documentation and pictures!

Brad
Old 09-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #152
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Lots still to do before winter....

I've been running my new 120/12v wiring. So far, everything on the 12v side is working. All the lights are new LED and look great, so my power draw is low. Still have to wire up the new umbilical cord and then see if my brake/turn/reverse lights work. My pots were in pretty good shape when I re-installed them, but I have questions about the sockets themselves. So, I ordered new pigtails just in case. Should have that project buttoned up in the next few days.

I Tempro-ed every seam and visible hole/rivet on the inside. And I am now beginning the insulation process. Got a deal on 1" 4x8 panels of foil wrapped foam insulation that I am using for the flat sides and (perhaps) the belly. Then I will be gluing 1/2" spacers to the curved panels and covering with Prodex. Corners and other small spaces will be filled with Crack Filler foam. Finally, I will be covering the entire interior with a second layer of Prodex.

3 more windows have to come out this week for gasket removal / replacement. I lay them flat on a table and soak the gaskets with Aircraft Paint Stripper... wait a while, and the gaskets more or less melt off. Then I clean up the aluminum and left over gasket-goo with a wire brush attached to my drill/driver. Had some trouble with one of my windows, when the rivets attaching the 'hinge' failed. Consequently, the frame started to separate, so I did an emergency rivet job on it...that will have to be re-done at some point.

Time to get back to work.... winter's coming....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0627.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	195852  
Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #153
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Sometimes, it's the little things that make your day...

I finished rehabbing the exterior LED lights today. I installed the new LED step light. I didn't like the angle of the light when I attached it to the housing with the provided sticky tape. So I dislodged the tape and used a wad of butyl tape behind it to correct the angle. It really lights up the door and step area now. I have to get a new diffuser for the fixture. The old incan. bulb melted a hole in the old one...and then it broke in half. I'll find something cool at the glass/plexi outlet store around the corner...and use the old diffuser as a template.

My rear light pots were in pretty good condition...a little rusty. I removed them, POR'd them and then top coated with a nice silver paint (not that it will be seen). The pigtails were a little gummed up, so I replaced them while I was at it.... re-installed the pots and installed the lights. Powered them up...and they look great...and they are BRIGHT!! The pic is from late afternoon. I imagine at night, they can be seen from outer space!

I also replaced the standard-issue bulb from the new license plate fixture with an LED. My thanks to LED4RV! They ROCK!!

I'm about 1/3rd through the insulation process. The way things go here in Minnesota, I could be needing it sooner, rather than later, with the cooler temps coming on fast. And here I was anxious to get my a/c installed.... Well, it does have a heat strip...which may come in very handy.

Still working on the electrical too. Most of my runs are in....but I don't have the guts to hook anything up yet.....chicken....

I wanted to wire up my umbilical, but my 12v tester was telling me I had no power at the TV (even with ignition on). I bought one of those plug in tester units which showed that I indeed had power...except for an issue with the brake circuit (a failing brake light). I don't know if that is because I have not installed the brake controller, or what. I'm learning....but it's a slow process...LOL.

Tomorrow I will hopefully solve the umbilical issue. Then I'll be ready to take "Madmen" on a little shake-down drive around the block... Hoping I'll be able to take my aluminum tent on its first trip...to a family reunion...mid-October. We'll see....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0647.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	393.4 KB
ID:	196143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0657.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	196144  

Old 09-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #154
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Days of Bucking

I've been bucking rivets for several days now. Added a third row of rivets to the front hold down plate...for some added strength. Earlier, I had added an additional row to the rear plate. I may even double those rivets next week... can't have too many rivets.

Today was a short day, because I slept in. But a buddy and I got ambitious, and tossed the new Penguin II on the roof and bolted it down. Easier than I had anticipated. At least if it starts snowing soon, there won't be a big hole up there to leak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0665.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	196226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0666.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	196227