Old 10-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
thanks everyone for the advice!!
to me a job worth doing is worth doing right. and my fear comes from moving the couch out of the argosy and finding that the floor was sagging a bit up in the front where the axles are. its a very intimidating thing as no one around me knows anything about the trailers, including myself!! im just trying to do all i can before i do something stupid and cost myself alot of money. id like to have this thing in top notch condition but am sometimes weary i dont have the capabilities to fix flooring and panelling etc etc.
ive got it stored outside under some trees at a storage space and it has been there since august.
should i rip the floors up should i take the panels off??
my intention is to have a good critter free or minimum critter home on the road.
thanks again everyone!!

Old 10-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
also.....
i have no idea what these little connectors are but they have essentially replaced the screw in this argosy and i cannot figure out how to remove them. its a little round silver thing with a hole in the middle, they hold the panels in place, door frame, etc etc... dont want to ruin them or the surface of what they are connected by prying them off...
is this some sort of special airstream way? is there a special tool i need to get it off??
does this make sense to anyone?

Old 10-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
They are blind (pop) rivets and should be drilled out to remove.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
x

XXXX , XXXX
The little round silver things with the hole in the middle. That is a pop rivet. It is used to hold two things together. A small drill bit will drill ot the rivet and you can easily replace them yourself with a pop rivet tool.
It sounds like you really need to do a lot of reading and educate yourself before you attempt any repairs. from your description of tools and talents this repair may be beyond you. Sorry but I don't mean to be rude but if you don't know what a rivet is you have a lot to learn especially on Airstreams which are almost exclusively riveted together.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
nashville , Tennessee
wasagachris,
this probably is beyond me and im sure that i will encounter many problems with my lack of knowledge. thankfully i have this site to help me. i dont want to surrender the job ....yet.... as i have only just begun to work on taking out and cleaning what i can ie; couch, fridge, fridge wall, etc...
i am not a wealthy man and dont really want/ cant pay someone else to fix her up.
i am overwhelmed with the project but excited to learn and do a good job. dont scare me!!! i just got my manual and im trying to get an order of operations so i can begin and learn with confidence. maybe this is misguided confidence and i should hire someone?? i will try to take some pictures soon and give a better description soon so this isnt a blind query...
Old 10-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
x

XXXX , XXXX
We can guide you through it. I have never done a refurb like mine either. I am handy and have several tools and also have background in RV's. I am a licensed RV tech.
Ask as many questions as you like and include pics and I will try to help. Originally I contacted a shop that specializes inA/S restorations. They told me 1000 to 1500 hrs for a total refurb at $65.00/hr convinced me to do it myself. You will need an area to work on it as well as some power tools.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi jrusargosy,

My plan was to stay pragmatic. Even though the worst damage was at the bottom, I understood the problems were on the top, the middle, and the beltline. Fixing and replacing all the top stuff is a job that needed to be done and it doesn't cost a lot. I had all summer's rain storms and soakers to work on leaks and test my work.

On top, I replaced the antique air conditioner, replaced the 3 crank up roof vents with leaking covers with FanTastic fans, re-sealed the two sewer vents, and re-sealed the top awning channel and body seams. That cost less than a grand. Then I replaced all the window gaskets and the door gasket and added solar film to the window glass. That took some time and it didn't cost a lot. That all needed to be done just to maintain what floor and frame was left.

After I had all the leaks fixed and tested, I fixed the frame cross member, added bubble foil insulation to the floor and walls where I had wall panels removed, replaced sections of the floor, and moved to replacing fixtures and appliances.

I've increased my vocabulary and added to my skill level in several categories. No matter how this trailer turns out, it's a project I'll never forget.

Gary

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote