Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Overwhelmed by Rear End Separation Evidence

As a person who has run a few wires, I can tell you that after a few months, trying to remember just how a circuit was run can be "challenging".

Don't read too much into the inability of the builder to remember.

When I wired my trailer, it all seemed common sense at the time, but after two years, if I had to remember the specifics on how I wired this circuit or that circuit on a spur of the moment I would be applying some educated guesses.

Did the builder install new axles?

If not, it does not take a lot of miles to hammer out some new rear separation. A couple or a few thousand miles will do for that. I know.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
On the bright side, fixes for separation and/or sag don't have to be that difficult depending on the cause and magnitude of the problem and the ability of the repairer to apply sound but simplistic solutions.

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
As a person who has run a few wires, I can tell you that after a few months, trying to remember just how a circuit was run can be "challenging".

Don't read too much into the inability of the builder to remember.

When I wired my trailer, it all seemed common sense at the time, but after two years, if I had to remember the specifics on how I wired this circuit or that circuit on a spur of the moment I would be applying some educated guesses.

Did the builder install new axles?

If not, it does not take a lot of miles to hammer out some new rear separation. A couple or a few thousand miles will do for that. I know.

Brevi tempore!
The issue was not that he couldn't remember the wiring, it was that he originally told us HE did all the work and told us abou everything HE did, then after we bought it he said that the people he bought it from did the work. Then we began to discover further inconsistencies. When a person tells one lie, there's usually more. So now we're rechecking everything. Finding some very unsafe problems, and then some things I worried would be bad are fine. At least we're learning a lot in the process!

The axles are good, just had them checked.

"wherever we go, we're always home"
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Overwhelmed by Rear End Separation Evidence

Checked might not be enough if the folks doing the checking don't know what to look for.

If the axles have not been changed, then this IS the likely source of your sag and separation.

Airstreams use torsion axles that utilize rubber rods inside the axle tubes as the "spring".

As the axles age the rubber sets up hard and all "spring" is lost. Every bump hammers the trailer hard.

Like I said, if the axles are stock 1967, they ARE toast, and they are beating your trailer up.

(I have not researched my assertion that torsion axles were used in 67, but I am pretty sure they were)

"Checked" might mean that the spindles, bearings, alignment, and brakes are stellar, but if the "springs" (i.e. Action of the rubber rods) was not checked then the axles could be no good.

The lifespan of this type of axle is about 25 years max.

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-04-2016, 12:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...les-20263.html

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Checked might not be enough if the folks doing the checking don't know what to look for.

If the axles have not been changed, then this IS the likely source of your sag and separation.

Airstreams use torsion axles that utilize rubber rods inside the axle tubes as the "spring".

As the axles age the rubber sets up hard and all "spring" is lost. Every bump hammers the trailer hard.

Like I said, if the axles are stock 1967, they ARE toast, and they are beating your trailer up.

(I have not researched my assertion that torsion axles were used in 67, but I am pretty sure they were)

"Checked" might mean that the spindles, bearings, alignment, and brakes are stellar, but if the "springs" (i.e. Action of the rubber rods) was not checked then the axles could be no good.

The lifespan of this type of axle is about 25 years max.

Brevi tempore!

Ok, taking a deep breath here. I usually use the search function and research all I can on airforums before making a move. I did not know that about the springs. Should I just take the Airstream to Andy at Inland RV for a full inspection? I wanted to do that to begin with, but my husband said there were lots of one star Yelp reviews for Inland RV. It is not a convenient time for us at all, but will do if necessary. We need to make two trips of several thousand miles soon and the Airstream needs to be in tip-top shape.

Also--The axles were supposed to have been replaced, but now after reading the link, looks like new axles are in order.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:23 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Another good place to have your unit checked is C and G in Bellflower. Rod and his crew can give you a good idea of what may be needed.

Dennis
Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
What's a one star review? How reliable is someone else's opinion on social media.?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I have done business with Andy twice, both times were exemplary.

Brevi tempore!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Andy has lots of solid valuable knowledge about Airstreams.

He is not everybody's version of customer service. We have been to his shop 3 times and always gotten good service and advice.

When he did not have what we needed he referred us down the street to Aircraft Spruce which worked out great.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
What's a one star review? How reliable is someone else's opinion on social media.?
Well, airforums is a form of social media too. But I agree that Yelp can be unreliable. Still, many depend on it as word of mouth can be hard to come by, especially for those of us whose jobs move us a lot. That's why I asked here to get the other side of reviews.

Maybe some people from the airforums who have had positive experiences with Inland RV could give yelp reviews? That might be helpful for new Airstream owners who are not as familiar with the Airstream community.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Older units usually have some sag; I think more so if they have had a rough travel history. The fix for the early '80s was to double up the rear frame by welding additional channel. Any good welder should know what to do if the frame is exposed. Dropping the Belly Pan is the first step.

JCW
Old 02-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #27

McKinleyville , California
If you are headed North soon there is a business that does beautiful word and restores AS. I have used them for numerous jobs on my '78 Avion. It is called Mel Trailers, Inc. they are located in Orange near Disney Land. The address is 1040 W. Hoover Ave. Ph: 714-639-8471 they also have a web site, just type in Mel Trailers. They are VERY HONEST!! and safety is their first concern for the customer. They can look at your situation and give you suggestion or fix the problem. Call to let them know when you are coming and get directions.

1978 Avion 7.0D
2001 Chevy 1500
McKinleyville, CA
Old 02-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Check out the posts on this thread . Frame Failure - 22 foot International , It will shed some light on the cheesy frames that a lot of Airstreams come with . I posted several photos on this thread as to how I fixed the problem in our frame