Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Outrigger problems??

Ok...my 1965 Overlander has been sleeping...ok, sitting for several years now. This is what happens when you start a project as a single person...then get married...then have a baby...who is now a toddler! Anyway, we are really trying to get this project underway. I recently noticed some concerning things. See pics.

Name:   image.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  23.9 KB
And
Attachment 179755
I'm not sure what this issue is. The spot is just fore of the front axle on both sides. Looking in to the wheel well, the outrigger appears to be solid.

Any thoughts?
Kathleen

Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Here's the picture of the other side (curb side). Location is just fore of the front axle. I reached in through the wheel well and tapped on the visible part of the outrigger...seems solid. What could cause this?

Name:   image.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  25.7 KB

Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
I suspect the problem isn't with the visible outriggers you are checking but with the others, or more specifically with the connection of the shell to the outriggers. If you have floor rot around your perimeter and the shell is moving in relation to the outriggers you would get these tell-tale marks just as if the outriggers themselves had sagged.
tim
Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Tim,
Ok...so I should be prepared for some pretty significant floor replacement at least around the perimeter? Could this be done frame on? I replaced the entire floor in a 1950 Spartan, and it was a wicked job. The entire interior (including walls down to the aluminum "studs") were removed from the Spartan when I did it. Would this be necessary in the Airstream? I think the floor sandwich construction (plywood floor in between the c-channel of the wall and the frame) is the same in the Airstream as it was in the Spartan, correct?
Kathleen
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Many, or perhaps even most, Airstreams of this vintage need some floor replacement and frame repair/rebuilding. My frame had two outriggers just aft of the streetside wheel well that were badly rusted, one of them was actually completely broken off and just sliding around.

I'd expect that you're in for some floor and frame repair, first fix the leaks that are the likely cause.

Your year model is fairly similar to mine, and on mine the c-channel is actually a u-channel that sits on top of the plywood subfloor. It bolts through the subfloor into the frame members and outriggers, and also has some wood screws throught it directly into the plywood. The belly pan wraps up from the bottom and is also riveted into the c-channel, with the outer skins overlapping them to shed water.

To get to all of this properly, you'll most likely need to cut away some of the bellypan to inspect, or at least pull the rivets and drop it to inspect. If you see damagae, you can cut away the bellypan to access from below, and remove the lower interior skins to access from above. If you've done a Spartan, then you know what this involves, it should be similar.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I have that same little slice by the curbside front wheel (double axle) no answers yet?

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Kathleen, In your first photo you are seeing the edge of the plywood floor. The belly pan has been bumped and pushed in slightly reveling where the plywood sits. In the second picture it is a different situation. The outrigger has sawn through your belly pan due to the floor moving and/ or the shell moving during travel. Being right at the wheel well, you most likely have a leak to the wheel well( a common 1965 issues due to my experience) which has made the floor soft in that area. The result is that the elevator bolt is not holding the structure tight and things are flexing. I would try and get back into that corner with a pick and investigate. The culprit is most likely the elevator bolt right at the end of that outrigger, but the area under the wheel well tub is probably soft too.
It is very common to see this type of damage. To only see it at one outrigger is fairly fortunate.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote