Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Arcade , New York
order of repairs for rear end sag and floor rework

Well we came to the conclusion that we need to gut the trailer, replace certain elements of the floor steel structure and rebuild it.

We also have rear end sag which needs to be fixed. I found the directions for that so I am all set and am almost clear what needs to be done. Though I am not sure where the rear quarter panels end. If they end under the blue trim rub rail or go up further. 1971 31' Sovereign.

So I want to only bring the welder and metal guy once. So I was hoping to get the trailer gutted, tackle the frame rework and rear end sag all in one day.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
-Rich
1988 Chevrolet School Bus (Converted)
NY_Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Arcade , New York
Fortunately for us I took off the banana wraps in some key places and we no longer have to do a new floor, yay! I do have to remove all the belly pan, straight banana wrap and do a lot of steel work (reinforcing and replacing).

Have to gut the bathroom in the near term so we can take care of the rear end sag issue. Have to add new steel for the frame work back there, pretty much rusted away. Long term we are still looking to gut the whole thing and rebuild.
1988 Chevrolet School Bus (Converted)
NY_Chairs is offline   Reply With Quote