Old 10-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Yes, I guess that is the question. New axles mean more drop in the axle when lifted off the ground. Notice my pic above, the wheels only dropped a few inches when lifted off the ground, is this good or bad, normal or not?
Thanks

Old 10-23-2008, 06:14 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Miracle Clean

I got home from work yesterday and decided I would tinker with something on the AS. I read that the interior skin was a type of vinyl on aluminum and the endcaps were plastic. This one sat up for over 15 years and had accumulated a bit of mildew from interior sweat from not being aired out. I had planned on Kilz and paint for interior refinish until I broke out a cheap all purpose cleaner with bleach. I think it was $.97 a bottle. WOW, the stuff just cleaned right up. I plan to keep the original finish and trim. I could not believe how well it cleaned up. Check it out. Spray, light scrub with scotch brite, wipe up with papertowls. Too simple.
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00543.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	70111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00544.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	70112  

Name:	DSC00548.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	70113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00540.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	70114  

Name:	DSC00539.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	70115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00541.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	70116  

Name:	DSC00545.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	70117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00547.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	70118  

Old 10-25-2008, 06:22 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
I found a place here locally "Plas-tech" referred by Bob Jones RV. I dropped off the tank yesterday and he said the plastic was still in good shape. He will pressure test and repair (plastic weld) the leaks. Should be done next week. I will be replacing it, and considering the type of subfloor to use. I am thinking about the "Advantek" flooring. Are there any opinions on this material? All the readings are good so far. I am concerned about "rigidity" right now. How solid will it feel after install?
Thanks
Adam
Old 11-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Preping the water tank section.

I am hoping the water tank will be done this week. In preperation for the return, I worked on the section for the tank. Lot's of rust clean up and to beefup the crossmember on the front edge. It was not even strong enough to stand on. The top edge was rusted through. I used some 16ga galvanized angle, tack welded to top and bottom of existing member and now is strong enough for my fat belly to stand on. I'm 220lbs and it has NO flex in it at all. Still using those SCRAP pieces that Mama always wants me to throw away. haha
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00585.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	70789   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00586.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	70790  

Name:	DSC00587.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	70791  
Old 11-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #33
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Welcome to Vintage Trade Wind

Hey, there!

Good to see another vintage Trade Wind. I have a 1968, made in Jackson Center. I had to replace the bath floor, for starters, and my check list looks a lot like yours. For replacing the bath floor, I experimented with a new product, Nyloboard, not saying that's the best choice for everybody, but I wanted to give it a try. It's pretty much guaranteed to outlive the next forty years, at least where contact with water is concerned.

Other ways to maximize the life of the plywood you might be using to replace your bath floor would be to treat the edges and maybe even the whole piece with a marine finish to seal the wood. There are some threads that recommend that kind of treatment.

On the bath removal, I heard that Airstream interiors started with the installation of the rear end cap and bath fixtures and worked forward. It is hard, hard, hard to get those fixtures out in one piece. And, when you start taking the interior skins out to de-pest your insulation, there are many hidden rivets that will test your patience and make you lose whatever religion you might have. Don't be surprised if you end up just clearing the whole thing down to practically nothing and starting over.

By the way, I found the replacement back bath end piece of floor to be exactly the width of an 8x4 board, and all but the curved corners and just a few inches on the 8' length. I guess a 24' trailer might mean 6 standard sized plywood sections, with the necessary cut-outs for the wheel wells and holes for the wiring and plumbing and so forth. I have seen recommendations of using cardboard for your templates for the floor. Maybe that works for the first run on starting a pattern or template, but I was very pleased with someone's recommendation to use luaun 1/8" thick. It held up under some rain and could take some tacking with temporary screws while I worked out the curves of the back end and got all of those channels and skins back together. The cost was more than a free fridge box, but the durability has been worth it. I have since used the same template to start plans for a new arrangement for the bath and main bedroom. I plan to keep using luaun for templates to get placement of cabinets, new arrangements for fixtures, etc.

For the black tank on mine, the galvanized case holding the black tank and insulation was totally wasted (pun intended). I got a stainless steel case made to hold the insulation and the black tank. It might seem like overkill for a tank that will be covered over with the aluminum belly pan, but I figure that's something I'll never want to mess with again, if I can help it.

I'm interested in how much changed on the interior from 68 to 70. Changes also on the windows, the control center, the light fixtures, the bath, -- lots of changes. It looks like you might have the center gaucho that I have in the 68, but maybe not the front twins? The center gaucho might have had some kind of hinged board that lifted and lowered to make the sofa/bed big enough for two (?). I found out recently that the wall pad shown in your pictures would come in real handy in cold weather, but I'm going to move the bedroom, anyway, but maybe that edging of quilted material against the inner skin will prevent some cold contact with a different kind of skin.

I think maybe the 68 was the last year of the era under the Wally Byam influence. The fresh water tank under the deck is a neat innovation. Glad you could save that tank. Wish I had one!

I have lots of sympathy/excitement for your project. It will be fun when you get to a point where you can start towing it to some parks and enjoy it for camping and visiting friends.

I need to replace axles, also, but can't resist towing around to local parks on beautiful weekends and enjoying the camping. I went ahead and got the tires replaced, bearings, brakes, and had a trailer shop check out to see if the towing gear was safe. The risk in not updating the running gear is some loose rivets on the minimum side, and I suppose something much worse can always be argued on the maximum side. It's a risk we have taken for a couple of years, but will get the new axles next spring. That coincides nicely with replacing some major segments of outer skin from some bad running gear damage by the PO. Once I get the nice repairs and remodeling done, I want to minimize the earthquake-like conditions that must be created when the shot axles and shocks are subjected to potholes and crummy highways.

Nice work on the MIG welding. That's another benefit of a vintage trailer -- I've picked up some cool tools and skills that I would not have learned otherwise, maybe, most likely -- ok, ok, I do have a craving for cool tools and hot metal.

Trade Wind is a nice size, don't you think? I'll subscribe to your thread. Have fun!
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Thanks Anne,
I am hoping after getting my current area of operation back together that the rear bath has minimal work needed. The floor feels good so far. I do plan to drop the black tank and build a new pan as you did. Mine too is SHOT. I am getting the fresh water tank back today. $50 in repairs and hope it will last a few more years. I have been drumming up some type of catch/drain pan for that as well in case future leaks.
I do have the center goucho, and it is built on aluminum slide frame to allow 2. Opens to full size bed as does the front goucho.

I too have axles on the brain. I do know they are on their last leg. Wow what a cost factor. Maybe I can at least get it to the Texas Rally and back next year.
Talk to ya later.
Adam
Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
I have a 1979, 31'. I have to replace some of the floor and I have read that you need to remove the inside skin above the floor to do this. Is this necessary? From the pictures, it doesn't look like that was done in this case. Also, assuming I do need to take some of the skin off, does it really matter what kind of rivets I go back with? I don't have much experience with rivets.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cleveland , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipman View Post
I have a 1979, 31'. I have to replace some of the floor and I have read that you need to remove the inside skin above the floor to do this. Is this necessary? From the pictures, it doesn't look like that was done in this case. Also, assuming I do need to take some of the skin off, does it really matter what kind of rivets I go back with? I don't have much experience with rivets.
I am not a rivet king either. I would use aluminum rivets. As far as the removal on mine, I did not remove any of the inner skin. I was able to get a little under the C-channel track. The bad part is if you don't remove the bottom section to replace the elevator bolts that go through the floor, you pose a risk to structural integrity. These were built from the ground up. Frame, then floor structure, then bottom track and then shell. The bottom track is bolted through the floor to the frame. Alot of folks do a "Shell off restor". Some fight the good fight in remove lower skin to do the elevator bolts and all. I only replaced the front 3rd of floor, getting as much under the c-track, and did not remove any lower skin. I did however use 16gauge angle to secure the Ctrack to the new floor. I did "not" cut the original elevator bolts. They are still secure to frame. Not pretty, but I am not going for the elegant look rather than functional.
We have good weather ahead and I will be back in the saddle to complete my "less than elegant" tradewind. I have to build a new cabinet for sink, replace some plumbing and install bottom tank access skins. Some floor covering of some sort, and new bedding. I hope to make it to a couple of bike rallies this year. I missed the Texas vintage rally. Maybe next time. Keep your eye on this site, there is a bunch of knowledge. I am no pro, just a tinkerer.
Adam
Old 03-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Thanks Adam. I decided to go ahead and remove the skin. I have part of it out now. I'm a tinkerer too. I'd starve to death if I had to do this for a living. I need to get on the roof and reseal a couple of things. Have you done any of that yet? If so, how did you go about it?