Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrrl View Post
Heya Chris, you have an interesting alternative available that is manufactured pretty close to you, in Mississauga, Polyboard. They recycle plastics from industry (probably cutoffs from moulded door and dash panels, think Oshawa), comes in grey and white, plus it is 'green'. I do believe that is what I will use when we do the floor on Bubbles. We may have to install a couple of angle iron cross member supports but that will be a small price to pay for NO ROT.
This is the link: Polyboard | Renew Resources
I will use the grey and if it looks ok I may even forego putting anything on the floor except for a few rugs, or maybe some vinyl plank.
Looks like you are enjoy your trip you traitor, have fun with your Mom. It is truly miserable here in Ottawa today.
Hoist one for all of us in the Great White North,
Cheers
Leonie
I've looked at their brochure and based on that info I did not see the polyboard being used as a main building component as nyloboard is sometimes used in 3" or more thickness. This would be another place for a strength test between products. I'm 6'6" and 240 lbs and my nyloboard flexed less than a plywood sheet the same size/ thickness - very rigid stuff.
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #22
x

XXXX , XXXX
Leonie I just did a little research on polyboard. IMO it's not a viable alternative to Nyloboard. First it's 40% heavier than wood and secondly it has quite a large expansion rate. 1/4" over a 4x8 sheet. they recommend leavinga 1/4" gap between sheets and to expand the mounting holes to allow for this expansion/contraction.

Polyboard
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
USN Avionics Tech QA Insp

Vintage Kin Owner
Morristown (Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area) , Tennessee
Exclamation NYLOBOARD Installation or repair???

A lot of people are asking quesitons here, but noone has of yet asked the big questions that come to my mind. As a former Naval Aviation type, I have the following concerns:
  1. Is there a major cost difference between nyloboard and wood?
  2. Are there any special tools or procedures required for installation? Any special types of epoxies, sealants, caulks, etc.?
  3. Can Nyloboard be repaired if cracked or damaged, and if so; what is the procedure?
I have contacted the MFG directly to see if my questions can be answered. I will post the information or a link to any informational sites that are supplied by the MFG.
LarryGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
I called Nyloboard last week to get pricing. The minimum factory direct order is 20 sheets at $175 per sheet for 3/4" material. If you want to order less you go though a distributor, Piedmont Plastics. I've called Piedmont Plastics multiple times, both local and toll free and nobody answers the phone.

I called Nyloboard back and informed them that I live about 100 miles away and would be interested in 6 sheets or one sheet 22 feet long. I was told I would have to go through the distributor, Piedmont Plastics, and could pick up at factory. I then asked about blems/out of square sheets. The girl was going to check and call back. I left a message with her on Monday. May try back later this week.

I'm still working on holding tank installation, as soon as I get this completed looks like the floor will be 3/4" marine grade available locally at $75 per sheet.

I really like the Nyloboard product and NO ROT is very appealing, a solid piece floor would be REAL SEXY, but not at 2.3X the prices and a non-supportive distributor network.

If anybody has had better luck in 2012 I would love to hear your approach.
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Maybe you should contact the Nyloboard marketing person and tell them that their dealer networks sucks and that they are loosing business. There are alot of products out there but they are not main stream yet and that makes them a semi black market item to Joe Airstream who wants a few sheets. You mean you want our super special semi secret Nylo board. Shus where did you here about it. You are not supposed to know about it. We will sell you some at a price and a free tube of lubricant of you choice. Aluminum composite is another option and expensive in small quanities. It is hard to beat wood eventhough it has issues.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Here are some stats I pulled off the web. Very intresting, but I don't know if it's worth the cost..

NyloSheet Specifications

Specifications:
NyloSheet is available in sheet form in a range of thicknesses, sizes and strengths to suit a wide variety of applications.
  • Standard sheet size is 4’ x 8’
  • Custom sheet sizes up to 24 feet long.
Test Results:
Mold Resistance ASTM D 3274: 10 ratingFungal ResistanceASTM D 1413: No decayTermite ResistanceAWPA E1-97: 10 ratingG4 Coefficient of Thermal Expansion ASTM D696: 0.64 x 10-5 in/in/°F
(best of all composites)G2 Coefficient of Thermal ExpansionASTM D696: 1.64 x 10-5 in/in/°FG1 Coefficient of Thermal ExpansionASTM D696: 3.3 x 10-5 in/in/°FG4 Flame SpreadASTM E84: Class BG2 Flame SpreadASTM E84: Class CG4 Screw Retention 1/2" 35PCFASTM D1037: 512lbfG4 Screw Retention 1" 35PCFASTM D1037: 760 lbfG2 Screw Retention 1/2" 40 PCFASTM D1037: 576 lbfG2 Screw Retention 1" 40 PCFASTM D1037: 1036 lbfG1 Screw Retention 1/2" 40 PCFASTM D1037: 632 lbfG1 Screw Retention 3/4" 40 PCFASTM D1037: 886 lbfG4 Flexural MOE 1/2" 35PCFASTM D790: 464k psiG2 Flexural MOE 1/2" 40 PCFASTM D790: 165k psi
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Now we need a chart comparing the same properties to wood.

Perry
Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
well from what i see you guys have it good, i will spend upwards of €500 for my 25' tradewind wood floor! so $75 a sheet for me seems quite reasonable but i will say the floor, although totally wrecked had been in my trailer for 40 years i have no problem putting wood in again as i am already 40 and i don't really care who does this next!! as it will definately not be me, saying that i have fond plyboard which they use on truck flooring which i am thinking has some pretty nsaty chemicals in it to stop it rotting which is where i'm going!
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
mrgreen - nsaty chemicals in it to stop it rotting probably will corrode aluminum and iron, please note most treated wood requires special fasteners that will not be affected by the chemicals; research the product well!!

You might ask about advertising sign plywood at a sign maker shop - I used it and am impressed, it was not much more than normal construction plywood.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Wabbit is right. The new treated wood products are very corrosive.

Perry
Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I watched Nyloboard being made. It is recycled carpeting (The carpet is the same stuff in our houses) . It is Nylon. Is Nylon a plastic? or something different? I watched them take the old cut up carpet and dump it into a hopper. Heat melted it and shaped it into a board. It came out of the factory machine as a board. I have used Nylon rope before and find it very durable. Also I have worked around chlorine my whole life and have watched plastic fall apart in a summer swimming pool and nylon stay just as strong.

I have known folks just to show up at the factory un-announced and buy on site. reject sheets of board. Definitley a green recycled product. I would really like to use it for SIP siding for a house. Nyloboard+styrofoam+nylobord. The insulation factory is amazing. They have a house built on site with Nyloboard. I have been in it. Pretty cool house.

Personally I have no problem with wood. At my age I am not going to be around long enough for it to rot.

Brian
Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #32

1972 25' Tradewind
Zionsville , Indiana
Here is a little info I got from Nyloboard earlier this week about the Nylosheet product:

I was told as of right now, they are not manufacturing nylosheet, as they are focusing on the Nylodeck product. They will start manufacturing it again soon; however, it is going to be a different formulation. It sounds like there will no longer be the different grades (G1, G2, & G4) as listed on the website. There will only be one grade which will be essentially the G4 grade which is the structural grade for sub flooring anyways. From what I was told, the product will be slightly heavier @ 50-55 pcs (I'm not sure yet what that rating is yet). Also, that the color will be more uniform, which I'm not to concerned about.

The rep I spoke with is trying to find out the new specs for me. I will post them as soon is I hear something. I just thought I would post this info in case anyone else is currently looking.
Beerstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
mrgreen - nsaty chemicals in it to stop it rotting probably will corrode aluminum and iron, please note most treated wood requires special fasteners that will not be affected by the chemicals; research the product well!!

You might ask about advertising sign plywood at a sign maker shop - I used it and am impressed, it was not much more than normal construction plywood.
that's good advice, although I don't really know how many chemicals are in it! as it is used as flooring on truckbodies so i'm geussing not too corrosive but health-wise i will definately look into it a bit further!
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have seen SOB trailers rot in months. If you have leaks and you live in some place like Florida you can rot a floor out in a few months. So unless you have one foot on a bar of soap and the other in the grave your floors could rot before you do. I am hopeing that my new wood floor in the back of my trailer will out last me. I am trying to get rid of leaks so the rest of the floor in the trailer will survive longer than me as well.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
Personally I have no problem with wood. At my age I am not going to be around long enough for it to rot.

Brian
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Perry:

I have Nyloboard in the back of my 73 trailer. The 1960 renovation I am doing now does not. I guess I just said what I said because I was the one that orginally posted the first Nyloboad thread. The factory is down the road from me. Never did I think the Nyloboard thread would just keep going and going and going and going.

As far as I am concerned it is good stuff. I have had it in since 2008.

Brian
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #36
x

XXXX , XXXX
Brian I thank you for bringing Nyloboard to our attention. I also thank you and Tvanwave for being the only two people who actually read my request and posted their results. That is the exact reason why I started this thread to get actual field test results from forum members who have used Nyloboard in their trailers.

The rest of you who want to bi**ch moan about how terrible Airstream builds their trailers and how as an engineer you would have done it differently, or for those of you who want to discuss the viability of wood or treated plywood please start your own thread and discuss it there. After all this is my thread started and I state this again to garner FIELD TEST RESULTS from people who have actually used Nyloboard.
I have read the data published on the company website but what I was seeking to find out was real user comments about this product.
I'll say this again Thank you Brian and Tvanwave for your input.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
What is the sign board made out of?

Also, would costing the new pt plywood with epoxy help? And you are correct, you have to use galv or ss bolts. Untreated steel bolts would not hold up.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #38
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
I just spent quite some time searching thread titles in this section of frame/floor repair. Of the 1166 current threads on this topic not one was titled Nyloboard. Yes you can do a google search and find the threads where Nyloboard is mentioned.
I thought that I might add to this that there is, of course, Brian's (Lothlorian) lengthy thread starting in January of 2008 (titled simply "Nyloboard") that sort of chronicles the history of the company, as well as some very interesting discussions on the use of the product. Lots of input there from Uwe and byamcaravanner.

It's right here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ard-39151.html

I, too, am very interested in this product, and I also wish that there was more discussion and actual installations of Nyloboard, or Nylosheet.

Have you made any steps towards using it, Chris?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I spoke with the company last week. I am restoring my hot tub and I need a hot tub cover. I asked the company for a price on their discontinued or throw away pieces of nyloboard. They wanted to $92.00 a sheet. This was for the sheets with the smallest width. My hot tub is not worth $92.00. I decided against it.

Brian