Old 03-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Rosie View Post
I would use marine grade plywood ... The key is don't let water reach the wood.
Rosie,

If you don't already know, this is easier said than done in an Airstream. As is said..."They ALL leak"

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #114
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Yes, they all leak - so this is why epoxy is such a nice solution. My experience w/ epoxy building boats has been quite good; you do need to wet sand between coats as Rosie pointed out. For those who remember polyester resin & fiberglass, the epoxies are far stronger and _don't_ come loose.

We just recently used two coats of epoxy (thinned 25% w/ xylene), spot filled the holes and then finished w/ an un-thinned coat on the floor in our Tradewind. Very nice hard finish; I painted it w/ a moisture-cured aluminum-filled polyurethane paint, so it's bright silver now. This hid the place I sectioned in some new wood near the door, and also repaired the water damaged areas adjacent to the battery box door and along the windows in the front.

If I were doing this shell off, I'd have used cloth to tie the sections of plywood into a single piece; the cloth also makes the floor very damage resistant.

Note that this approach allows one to use rugs to cover the floor rather than needing to carpet the entire surface, which makes cleaning much easier.

I may yet get to do more next year, but I'm leaving the bathroom alone for now so we can go camping this year .

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #115
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Mission , Texas
I'm finding out more and more they do leak but that shouldn't matter. Before the plywood is installed it must be encasulated in epoxy - especially the edges. If you are riveting or screwing it down treat it like you would the outer skin and use a sealant around the hole and fasteners. Keep asking how can water touch the wood and then prevent it. It is even more important in areas that have freezing temperatures. Freeze thaw of wet plywood will ruin it faster than rot.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Rosie View Post
I'm finding out more and more they do leak but that shouldn't matter. Before the plywood is installed it must be encasulated in epoxy - especially the edges. If you are riveting or screwing it down treat it like you would the outer skin and use a sealant around the hole and fasteners. Keep asking how can water touch the wood and then prevent it. It is even more important in areas that have freezing temperatures. Freeze thaw of wet plywood will ruin it faster than rot.
Which is why Nyloboard is of interest to me. It is intrinsically safe from water intrusion without any epoxy or sealing process. I am not saying epoxy encapsulated marine grade plywood is not good, it's great!!! But in my mind it still comes in second place to a material that is moisture resistant with little or no treatment. If only they would make plywood out of cypress, now that would the ultimate.
JFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Nyloboard didn't need our business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0557 View Post
I live 50 miles from the factory however, I was told by the sales lady that they no longer sell direct to consumers and was referred to Piedmont plastics to purchase it.
I will call the factory back to try and get a better quote, as the other one
was unacceptable.
We live close enough to the factory to go get the Nyloboard. We had planned to put it in our trailer. We called the factory three times to get a quote. Each time, they took our info and told us they would have someone call back. It never happened. I guess they don't need our business. We're trying to decide what to use.

Has anyone tried a one-side voidless outdoor plywood? (It's supposed to be cheaper than the marine-grade.)

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #118
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
I haven't tried it on an airstream but I have tried it on a boat. It performed comparable to marine grade. The key is to be very selective about which piece you buy. Make sure it has absolutely no gaps in the glue, at least no detectable gaps. Also buy it from a reputable lumberyard...I avoid Home Depot and other big chains when it comes to quality plywood.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Get some good plywood,treat the edges with fiberglass cloth and epoxy,seal the bolts and move on. We are all really doing more to our floors than Airsteam did originally so my 45 year old AS will outlast what they did new and will outlast me.Maybe in 2065 some brave soul will have the opportunity to rebuild it again.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #120
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
how do you only get in touch with them the website is in "coming soon" state

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #121
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
Well my free samples of Nyloboard came in yesterday along with a nice info packet. I think we are going to use it. I found the samples to be far superior to any plywood I have ever seen. The stuff was a lot more rigid than I expected, it didn't flex at all. Much like similer dimension plywood. I got in touch by emailing kcole@nyloboard.com. You can also call Kimberly Cole at 678.625.5179. She seemed eager to work with me.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFerguson View Post
Well my free samples of Nyloboard came in yesterday along with a nice info packet. I think we are going to use it.
Since you are relatively close, the product is available in 8'x24' single sheets. If you are doing a shell off, you might consider towing your bare frame with temporary lights to the factory and bolting on the floor in a single piece.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:53 AM   #123
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gloucester , Virginia
I had that same idea by my wife thinks I am nuts!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #124
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
Has anyone used or had any dealings with nyloboard since march?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have my scrap piece of Nyloboard sitting in my back yard. It is now going well over three years. We grow our potted plants on it, and it gets water everyday. It sits on the ground on the north side of my garden shed. It is still as rigid as the day I bought it. The only difference is the potting soil stains. Great stuff. My airstream is holding up with it. Life is good so far.

Brian
Old 09-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #126
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
That Nyloboard sounds exactly like what I'd like to use as new flooring in my current project. Has anyone actually obtained a price for the material? I haven't taken the step yet to see if there is a distributor in the Spokane region...

Thanks,
Pete

Tags
nyloboard, plastic floor, specialty floor