Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #61
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
Ordering Nyloboard

Good morning, Steve,
I was just on the phone with the company. Here are some things to know about ordering from them:
  • Very nice folks to talk to about the product details. For example, my concern about VOCs -- they say there is no gassing off.
  • They do not have local distribution. I had to order directly from the company.
  • They don't take plastic (kind of ironic). You have to fill out an application for credit, to set up an account with them, and fax that in before the sale is arranged. I'm not going to submit all of that info on trade and bank references, since I am an individual and paying by check. They will take COD. Since I will be traveling, I would rather pay by mail and, I hope, speed delivery while I am gone.
  • Basic cost for the fiberglass is $124.16 for a 4' x 8' piece. Non-fiberglass is $114.56. Freight extra. I'm waiting for that email, will update with the total.
  • You can order two grades of Nyloboard. Prime is both sides finished exactly alike; choice has one side rough. I chose choice. There is no difference in the performance of the choice, just appearance. The only thing looking at the rough side is the black tank, insulation, etc.
Just thinking ahead, as Frank said, talking all about baiting the hook and not fishing... definitely will need Forstner bits.

Oh -- by the way, check out the mold study on the home page. That's a pretty impressive image. Looks like HDF didn't do too badly in comparison, but the rest -- YUK!

More soon,
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Anne,

Are you saying you've ordered the Nyloboard?

If so, did you purchase directly from the mfg or were you able to find a local seller? Did you order the fiberglass skined material or the plain? How many sheets of what did you order... and one last question, what did it cost you to have it shipped to Indy?

Sorry for all the questions... I'm just a curious
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Anne,

Thanks for the update... it looks like the price has gone down about 15% (good news!). Kimberly quoted me $145.92 and $134.72 for the 3/4" material back on Jan, 31 2008.

That mold study is what convinced me that this product is ideal for Airstream sub-flooring.

Sounds like you and I both have a lot of hooks baited... time for some fishing... Frank will be happy.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I guess I just went off what the plant manager told me. He gave me a tour of the plant and was telling me all the reasons is makes a good product to build houses. He said the product was fire resistant. I was going off his word.

Give them a call and speak with their tech person.

SIU Bound

Brian
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Alex , Oklahoma
I had emailed them back in April, they were very quick about replying. I then ask the cost of shipping on sheet to Oklahoma. She said she would check and get back with me. I have sent two emails since and no reply. We finally had to put in plywood. I hope you have better luck than I did. It looks like a great product for A/S. But as I wasn't buying a truck load I guess it wasn't worth their time.
1951 Flying Cloud SS#7062
AIR #18751
CJ of Okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:42 AM   #65
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
CJ, they would not quote shipping for me, either, until I fax back the form they emailed to me, which I will be doing today. They want the commitment up front, I guess. The form, by the way, is a business credit application. I'll let you know how much info they actually require before sending the total cost. -- Anne
Old 05-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'm definitely looking for ongoing feedback on this product (and obtaining it) from Brian and now you, Anne. I have two boat decks to rebuild in the next few months, and this could be a great product to use for that. The per-sheet cost is comparable with MGP in my area, so it might be a viable alternative.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #67
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
OK, now we're cookin'. Finally heard back later today on the total cost for the Nyloboard. It's steep -- almost $100 for the freight for the one piece. I'm thinking I should email them to see what the freight would be if I went ahead and bought enough for all the rest. Let's see -- 24 feet; 4x8 sheets. Nah -- who knows? Maybe we'll head down to the Gulf Coast later in the summer and stop off in Covington on our way home. It's just a little out of the way ...

I'm going to order it, though. I don't want to do this project again. I can tell I'm going to have a lot of troubleshooting to do with the leaks, and I have a steep learning curve on all of the metal work. I have some help with welding. And, I found a shop that I am going to ask to help me with some of the aluminum fabricating for the back end bumper storage locker and the belly pan. Right now, it's been raining for two days and the edge of the back end plywood is making further progress in composting its way back to Mother Earth. Nyloboard. Yes.

Peace,
Anne
Old 05-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAnne
OK, now we're cookin'. Finally heard back later today on the total cost for the Nyloboard. It's steep -- almost $100 for the freight for the one piece. I'm thinking I should email them to see what the freight would be if I went ahead and bought enough for all the rest. Let's see -- 24 feet; 4x8 sheets. Nah -- who knows? Maybe we'll head down to the Gulf Coast later in the summer and stop off in Covington on our way home. It's just a little out of the way ...

I'm going to order it, though. I don't want to do this project again. I can tell I'm going to have a lot of troubleshooting to do with the leaks, and I have a steep learning curve on all of the metal work. I have some help with welding. And, I found a shop that I am going to ask to help me with some of the aluminum fabricating for the back end bumper storage locker and the belly pan. Right now, it's been raining for two days and the edge of the back end plywood is making further progress in composting its way back to Mother Earth. Nyloboard. Yes.

Peace,
Anne
That is some pretty scary shipping. I wonder if there's another way.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
If you are coming back from Florida through Atlanta I will tell you how to go.
When you get to Macon get off onto 23 and follow it to Jackson Georgia and get on 36 and it will take you right to Covington Georgia. I have taken that route many times. It takes exactly 1 hour 30 minutes to Covington from Macon. After you pick up your board you will be 30 minutes from my house and 30 minutes from 285.

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 05-10-2008, 09:03 AM   #70
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
I wrote to them for a quote for a one piece floor to go into my 1958 Flying Cloud. I think that would be very excellent....no seams. Marmoleum floring could then be applied over it, and hopefully look smooth as silk, and never crack or tear from floor movement.
They can scoot it upright in the side of a semi heading our way, maybe. I can get it out with my lift truck and some chain.
If the corners get damaged, I wouldn' care, since I do not need the corners, and would cut all 4 sides anyways.
I like Marine Plywood a lot, and it is much cheaper, but I can't get a continous piece long enough to have a one piece floor...
Old 05-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63
I wrote to them for a quote for a one piece floor to go into my 1958 Flying Cloud. I think that would be very excellent....no seams. Marmoleum floring could then be applied over it, and hopefully look smooth as silk, and never crack or tear from floor movement.
Uwe,

I've always known you're a smart guy...

I noticed this myself and mentioned it HERE. IMHO, the benefits would easily outweigh the extra cost. Any trailer with a floor 24' or less could have a one piece floor.

You're right... that piece could be easily slid along side a typical semi load without taking up any usable space.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63
They can scoot it upright in the side of a semi heading our way, maybe. I can get it out with my lift truck and some chain.
If the corners get damaged, I wouldn' care, since I do not need the corners, and would cut all 4 sides anyways.
I like Marine Plywood a lot, and it is much cheaper, but I can't get a continous piece long enough to have a one piece floor...
uwe, if they can do that, i could order one too for my flying cloud which would defray the shipping costs for both of us. let me know what you find out.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #73
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Uwe,

I've always known you're a smart guy...

I noticed this myself and mentioned it HERE. IMHO, the benefits would easily outweigh the extra cost. Any trailer with a floor 24' or less could have a one piece floor.

You're right... that piece could be easily slid along side a typical semi load without taking up any usable space.
Thanks.
I see on your blog that the samples indeed look like nylon fiber material. I am anxious to get a hold of a piece and see for myself what it is made f and how it machines.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #74
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
uwe, if they can do that, i could order one too for my flying cloud which would defray the shipping costs for both of us. let me know what you find out.
OK. Good idea.
Anyone else in SoCal want some? I can be the "hub" for it if necessary. I have a warehouse in Orange, right near Disneyland. The handling charge can be paid by means of cases of wine, I accept both Cabernet and/or Chardonnay.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Area:

If I remember correctly the company has its main office in California. I know the manager is from California. He told me he transferred to Georgia when I visited the plant. He would not let out the trade secrets on how they made the Nyloboard from carpet fibers. I did see an example where you see the board not finished. It is real fuzzy carpet fibers for half the board and hard the other half. They must melt it into a board.

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #76
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound
Area:

If I remember correctly the company has its main office in California. I know the manager is from California. He told me he transferred to Georgia when I visited the plant. He would not let out the trade secrets on how they made the Nyloboard from carpet fibers. I did see an example where you see the board not finished. It is real fuzzy carpet fibers for half the board and hard the other half. They must melt it into a board.

SIU Bound

Brian
If they had a place in California, then I'd be willing to pick up from them, whereever they are. I'd just tow a frame there, strap the flooring to it, and head home to finish it....
Old 05-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
I'm researching everywhere for a water resistant, no gassing off, environmental safe and allergy proof! floor? How's that for criteria. Now add that I'm in Vancouver BC. I'm not having much luck.

My trailer is gutted to the metal beams, but the shell was not removed. I gather that will get interesting too.

1st things first. Must find that perfect floor (subfloor) or floor beneath the finished floor, or whatever it's called.

Nyloboard sounds like the thing, but I'd probably be paying a small fortune to get to my place. Any other highly recommended options available around BC?
kidless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidless
I'm researching everywhere for a water resistant, no gassing off, environmental safe and allergy proof! floor? How's that for criteria. Now add that I'm in Vancouver BC. I'm not having much luck.

My trailer is gutted to the metal beams, but the shell was not removed. I gather that will get interesting too.

1st things first. Must find that perfect floor (subfloor) or floor beneath the finished floor, or whatever it's called.

Nyloboard sounds like the thing, but I'd probably be paying a small fortune to get to my place. Any other highly recommended options available around BC?
Subfloor is the correct term. I would contact Windsor Plywood. They usually have a good handle on what is available. A marine grade plywood is likely what you want, but I'm not sure if it is made with low toxicity/VOC.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidless

Two Candian based companys that you might check with are:

Welcome to New City Resources Inc.

Renew Resources - Contact Us

I redid my subfloor using Polyboard from the first company. I was able to find a supplier local to Portland, Oregon that had it in stock. I don't know what is available in your local area or how far the factory might be but it could be worth checking. At the time that I redid my floor I paid $65 per sheet (US). I understand that the prices have gone up since then to around $85 per sheet. The material is more flexible and heavier than plywood but is definitely totally waterproof. It is not necessarily the right choice for everyone but I like it. It is cheaper than NyloBoard too although from what I have been reading here the NyloBoard seems like a great product if it is indeed as stiff as plywood. For more information about what I did with Polyboard check out the following thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ight=Polyboard

I would be happy to answer any questions about the process. Also if you weld or have acess to inexpensive welding you could easily replace the aluminum stiffeners that I uses with strips of steel of some sort.

Malcolm
Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
Perfect.
Thanks to both of you. I'm checking each idea. New City does have an office in Vancouver. And, I do have a welder buddy.

Thanks
Christina
kidless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyloboard, plastic floor, specialty floor