Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 22' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Ojai , California
54fc floor replacement

In reading this thread I am not sure about the floor material but it sounds like a 5 ply doug fir floor is a sure bet, I am assuming 3/4 for strength , someone mentioned the underlayment 1/8 between the frame and the plywood, what type of material should I use?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #44
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think I created this confusion, sorry. The existing floor in my trailer is 5/8" fir. Under it is insulation that has been compressed between the floor and frame. If you measure all that together it comes out to 18 mm. Marine plywood comes in that thickness so it fit perfect now that the insulation has been removed. Most plywood is not a true thickness it is a fraction like 23/32" or 43/ 64" or something like that. 5/8 and 3/4 do not really exist as sizes even though Home depot will say it does. In the rest of the world a measuring system that is more precise called the metric system is used. This makes it even more confusing for us empirical thinkers.

I would not be surprised if the nyloboard is 23/32" or even closer, 18mm.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:46 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
In the rest of the world a measuring system that is more precise called the metric system is used. This makes it even more confusing for us empirical thinkers.
So those of us who use metric aren't capable of empirical thought?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #46
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
as long as there is thought we are good...
Old 02-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
as long as there is thought we are good...
How 'bout "thinking" about some Airstream floor? ...or warmer Wisconsin weather? I made a trip into my floorless trailer today and the concrete below is flooded with 2 1/2" on ice. I'm getting depressed!
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Why were out on the Wisconsin roads at this time of year with no floor? I should have been done with my floor weeks ago but I do not weld and I am waiting for that to get done. I am ready for my trailer to get back together. I am taking the new Nyloboard tomorrow and get the needed piece cut out. I am taking the old floor and using it as a template. Well that is my game plan but I have to finish a bookcase I am building first.

SIU Bound
Brian
Old 02-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound
Why were out on the Wisconsin roads at this time of year with no floor?
My trailer is sitting in the driveway, I put a pink skirt on it in the fall (see my blog) to keep the snow out, but we've had such a bad winter that it has just served to keep the water (ice) in. I'll take some picts tomorrow and post them. It amazes me how much condensation happens to the inside of the trailer from all the precipitation and freeze/thaw cycles. Just another reason to use the nyloboard.

BTW, I volunteered at the Milwaukee RV show last weekend working in the Ewald Airstream area and noticed a cut-away display showing current airstream construction. They use a wicking barrier on the top of the floor at the perimeter. Plenty of condensation in my '67 for the plywood floor to wick away.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:35 AM   #50
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
in the cold climates, ice builds when the project sits idle... it is like dust. I can proudly say I bucked rivets in the freezing rain yesterday. I was the riveter, so I got to sit on a bucket, in the rain while my buddy Monty sat in front of a space heater inside the trailer. The highlight of the day was crawling under her to install the big headed rivets Steve sent me, into the belly pan. With the new belly skin in place, it has gotten tight under there. You guys will have the joys of all this soon enough, however the weather should be improved by then. I bet Steve's trailer is growing not only ice, but also massive quantities of iron oxide as all that moisture collects inside. I would suggest you get some dry heat going or crack some windows to get some of that moisture out. Looking at your blog, I see unprotected steel and the remaining insulation is probably acting as a wick. All this idle time waiting for fair weather may set you back a little, but hey, what do I know. I am not the shiniest rivet....
Old 02-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Frank,

Not to worry! My frame is strong and a little surface rust will be no match for the POR15. As soon as I can see a forecast with some extended temps above 30 degrees I'll fire up the heater and get things dried out. POR15 is very finicky regarding moisture... one drop and the whole can is ruined. Their website even cautions to avoid allowing a droplet of sweat to fall into your paint cup. You were smart to go with the Eastwood products. I'm committed to wait it out even though it is a cause of frustration for you. LOL!

I also still need to find a way to get some nyloboard (or pantyhose- board as Frank affectionately calls it) up to Wisconsin. Anybody headed my way???
Old 02-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #52
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
anyone ask these nyloboard guys what their plans for distribution are? sounds like you can only get it at the factory...surely, that won't always be the case?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
anyone ask these nyloboard guys what their plans for distribution are? sounds like you can only get it at the factory...surely, that won't always be the case?
Chuck,
I asked that question via email and the response was "You can purchase Nyloboard directly from us. We can ship it FOB Covington, GA to you."

I'm going to call the Rep this week and see what alternatives I might have. Hopefully they might have a large shipment headed my way and I can get my pieces to hitch a ride.

It appears they have no retail distribution network for this product.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I would think that having an organized distribution and sales network would benefit them, if they are seroius about the viability of their product. Given the costs of shipping for something so large, I think I'd be more inclined to go to my local supplier for marine grade plywood.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
When I spoke with the manager he told me they sell directly to manufactures who are going to build something with it. He told me that motor home companies are trying it, Boat building companies etc. He did sell one of his Nyloboard homes to a person in Minnesota. The company opened in 2003 so it is fairly young. The manager was very interested in the airstream forums people and he was convinced it would be a good product to use. I bet your best bet would to get intouch with a company that is using it on trailers. You might want to call and ask about a company that uses it to build with.

SIU Bound.

Brian
Old 04-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #56

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Flex...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU Bound
I will be the guinea pig so wish me luck

SIU Bound

Brian
Good Luck Brian. I am particularly interested in how much flex this stuff has. Make sure to let us know once you have a sheet of it installed. I would think that it must be fairly rigid since someone mentioned it is used as flooring in horse trailers.

-Torii

Tags
nyloboard, plastic floor, specialty floor