Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #181
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
the Piedmont plastics branch here quoted $200/sheet for 40#, + $60 freight for 2 sheets. I've been allover the nyloboard site and can't find info on the different types of sheet goods. I now there's a 30# and 40# but that's it.
RaleighAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #182
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
Just got a call back and G2 board is 225/sheet (+ freight) instead of 200. wonder why so much price variance even thru the same distributors?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #183
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighAir View Post
Just got a call back and G2 board is 225/sheet (+ freight) instead of 200. wonder why so much price variance even thru the same distributors?
Contacted piedmont plastics in Atlanta today $215 per sheet for the 4x8 G2 but they only have 1 sheet in stock. No reply yet from the manufacturer in covington GA.
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #184
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I don't know what is going on with Nyloboard. Man their prices have gone up. I only paid around 160 for a 3/4" board. I read a post from a person who drove there and bought second hand boards and got a great deal. Going up in price just like everything else.

Brian
Old 01-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #185
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I don't know what is going on with Nyloboard. Man their prices have gone up. I only paid around 160 for a 3/4" board. I read a post from a person who drove there and bought second hand boards and got a great deal. Going up in price just like everything else.

Brian

Price of oil, transportation, labor, taxes are my guess.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #186
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Hi I have been following this thread and I have received a sample of the 3/4" fiberglass coted 4x8 sheets. I got a quote from Piedmont Plastics for $209.77 (uncoated) $217.99(coted) per sheet. I have a 1965 30' Airstream.
Have any of you who have experience with this material had any problem with attaching it to the frame cross members because of the 4' width? Have you noticed any sagging issues? Do you feel the coted is better than the uncoated? Is it necessary to plane the edge to 5/8" ( I have removed the old insulation)?
Any one?
Hi all Nyloboard Airstreamers;
Has anyone checked product data sheets on Nyloboard? If not, why not? Is there possible VOC issue with it? What is the rate of thermal expansion between lets say 20 Degree of temp and 100? How much it will expand? Will it buckle and stress the fasteners? Nylon can have a high expansion rate. Has anyone spent hot summer having Nyloboard floor yet? I truly hope there will be no issues with use. I am concerned. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #187
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Pleasant View , Tennessee
I'm out on the Nyloboard

Boatdoc brings up a good point. I've read many, many posts extolling the virtues of Nyloboard. To be honest, $215.00 per board is a ridiculous amount to pay for Airstream flooring. I'm just going to use ACX plywood, seal the ends and bottom and let someone else worry about it in 45 years or so. I've read no posts telling any details post nyloboard install. To those who have used it, was it worth the price differential? Did it expand in the hot Georgia sun to the point it warped your frame, popped the elevator bolts, bulged your exterior banana wrap or gassed your 3 year old sleeping on the floor? I'd rather use the $1,000.00 price difference between Nyloboard and plywood and get a Dometic basement air system. Actually use the money for something I can see and feel. Am I crazy? I know this is a labor of love but I'm not going to just throw that kind of money at something that is unproven and post install, unspoken. Tell me if I'm being short sighted.
mkh8911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #188
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have had it in my trailer for over three years "0" problems. I paid 160.00 for a sheet. I sawed it, shaved it, drilled holes, bolted it and put several thousands of miles on the trailer. The left over is now used on the northside of my garden shed. I have it laying in the dirt and I put my potted plants on it. It is as good as new and hasn't warped. I toured the factory and sat down with the manager. It has worked for me. I spoke with a forum member recently who has been in contact with the factory and is going to pick his up.

I will tell you I only did the bathroom with it. The rest of the floor was in good shape. My understanding is the 70's trailers with back bathroom see the rot. Most of my rot was at the back along the C-channel. It can get wet in the bathroom all it wants now. It is made of recycled nylon carpeting and that stuff never breaks down.

I don't understand the price of 250 that I have been hearing. I have spoke with two people who have done business with the company this year in Covington, Ga. One of the people in South Metro Atlanta is doing a 1973 or 74 full monte. He bought all his sheets at the factory. He went in and picked what he wanted. Maybe they have changed their policy about pricing their product recently. I know they make SIP siding for modular homes using Nyloboard. They built a home at the factory for potential buyers to walk through. The whole house is made of nyloboard.
The advertise its strength and durability.

Brian
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #189
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh8911 View Post
Boatdoc brings up a good point. I've read many, many posts extolling the virtues of Nyloboard. To be honest, $215.00 per board is a ridiculous amount to pay for Airstream flooring. I'm just going to use ACX plywood, seal the ends and bottom and let someone else worry about it in 45 years or so. I've read no posts telling any details post nyloboard install. To those who have used it, was it worth the price differential? Did it expand in the hot Georgia sun to the point it warped your frame, popped the elevator bolts, bulged your exterior banana wrap or gassed your 3 year old sleeping on the floor? I'd rather use the $1,000.00 price difference between Nyloboard and plywood and get a Dometic basement air system. Actually use the money for something I can see and feel. Am I crazy? I know this is a labor of love but I'm not going to just throw that kind of money at something that is unproven and post install, unspoken. Tell me if I'm being short sighted.
Hi mkh8911;
Replacing one 4' section with Nyloboard is one thing. However, when you install 28' length in material such as nylon which expands and contracts with the changing temps is another story. I am not trying to act controversial by any means. As many of you who have jumped on Nyloboard band wagon, someone should have checked the proprietary data first. I truly hope that none of you will wind up doing your floor twice. While I have no experience with Nyloboard, I do know that most nylon composition products expand considerably. I will research the product data sheet if I can find it. I have found that most manufacturers may not show true expansion rate in extreme ranges of temperatures. I have used plastic/nylon composition material in boats and got into lot of trouble with it. Hopefully that will not be the case with Nyloboard.

When I did my 26" Argosy from ground up I have used Sign Board. It is marine grade plywood with aluminum skins glued on both sides. It is commonly used for large signs on sides of the hi way's. This board sits there in outdoor elements for years. It is very rigid having thin aluminum skins which are glued so well that you will rip a layer of wood trying to peel it off. I have used Aluminum C channel from McMaster Carr to seal the edges and H channel to join the sections. A liberal amount of 3M 5200 adhesive was used to glue everything together until it oozed out. The excess was cleaned up. To isolate the aluminum skin of the plywood from trailer frame I have used 3M liners tape. My trailer is on a third year of use without a single issue. There is no flex. Just as Nyloboard, it cannot absorb any moisture if you seal the fasteners with 3M 5200. It is considerably cheaper, much lighter and it does not warp nor does it flex.
You can check out my posts. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #190
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Sign Board

Boatdoc, I don't want to hijack the Nyloboard thread but where do you get sign board? I read some of your earlier posts and thought that you had glued the aluminum to the plywood. Of course, that was a month ago when I was but a novice airstream rebuilder. Did you buy it that way? I'm about to finish my frame repair and start on the floor.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #191
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:

Brian
Picked up my 4x8 sheet this week. $215 at piedmont plastics. The product info is on the nyloboard website. If I consider my labor and time free - using nyloboard looks pricey. If I figure my time at current shop rates, the work and aggravation of a replacement, the price is low. My AS is 20 yrs old and the back had rotted considerably in less than 20yrs. I don't want to do this again so to me its worth a few dollars extra to have the best. Some spend extra money on shiney wheels and other cosmetics - fine by me- but in this case exrta $ for better repairs is worth it to me.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #192
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
tvanware,
Did you go to the Atlanta Piedmont store or Nashville? I need 7 sheets for the entire floor ($1505.00). That is more than I paid for the trailer. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost. By the time I drive to Atlanta to pick it up it raises the price to around $1,750.00. I can see $215.00 for a repair (in your case). I can't see $1,750.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Try the Covington Georgia store where the factory is. Buy it at the factory.

Brian
Old 01-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #194
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Try the Covington Georgia store where the factory is. Buy it at the factory.

Brian
I tried contacting the factory -Kimberly Cole, via eamil 2x but no reply. A call will be better. IMHO if you are doing a whole floor replacment its worth doing as best possible.... unless you work for free or dont mind a possible re-repair in the future. True cost of the repair includes more than the price of one element of the materials needed. I also but the best wiper for my cars etc. At some point price isnt the point.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #195
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
3 yrs, thousands of miles and 0 probs is good enough for me. I'm ordering my 2 sheets of g2 tomorrow. Paying the crazy price cause it's what I want - no wood to rot. I only have the rear bath to do, 2nd sheet is for a couple of minor patches up front and the ledge splices.
Can't wait to get my bath together but gotta get my stainless holdown plate first.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Raleigh:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...n-38204-4.html

Pages 4 and 5 show you how I did my bathroom floor. I split it in half and used a butt plate. In the picture you will see a wood but plate, but I removed it the day after I took the pic. I replaced it with a thin piece of steel. So far know problems. Other folks put the whole piece in.

Jim of Jim and Susan has a technique to get the whole piece in and so does Pizza chop. Check Pizza Chops threads. Full Monte
Member's Photos - Photo Gallery

Pizza chop really did a great job of documentation and photos.

What I said has been true for me. Make sure you get sample pieces from Nyloboard factory. They send them to you for free. You will be able to make a better decision. I hope if you take the dive it works for you. So far I have not had any problems. with the floor. That is all I can say.

Brian
Old 01-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #197
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh8911 View Post
tvanware,
Did you go to the Atlanta Piedmont store or Nashville? I need 7 sheets for the entire floor ($1505.00). That is more than I paid for the trailer. I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost. By the time I drive to Atlanta to pick it up it raises the price to around $1,750.00. I can see $215.00 for a repair (in your case). I can't see $1,750.
Nyloboard issues;
I have followed this thread for a while now and decided to obtain some data from the company. I have placed a call to Georgia Plant requesting Product data sheet. Lady on the phone could not help me but she took my phone number promising a call back from a tech support. Few hours later call back was made and conversation went as follows;

me; I told him i had a interest in his product for a particular application.
he; what kind of quantities will you be buying?
me; changing his direction of conversation I proceeded to tell that I wanted to first make sure that is applicable for my intended use. I proceeded to tell him that we intend to use it on floors and decking in aluminum boats.
he; what lengths would you be installing?
me; On the average 7 feet.
he; What is your support grid work?
me; approximately 2 feet.
he; we do not recommend the 3/4" for that. You will have to upgrade to generation four which is 1.1/8" thick and glass reinforced.
me; why?
he; 3/4" will be much too spongy under foot when walking on it you will feel it. You need one foot square grid for support.
me; Can you tell me what is the expansion rate per 8' length going from 0 to 100 degree temperature swing?
he; We do not test this product at such extremes. Being in the floor of a building it will not see a grater temperature swing of more than 30 degree.
me; BELLS begin to RIIIIIING loudly. But my application will see such swings in temperatures and I would like to know its expansion rate and gain in flexibility in high temps. Can you provide me with data sheet before i commit my company to 50 sheets order? Can you fax it to me?
he; Yes I can but it may not be today.
me That will be fine. Here is my fax number, thank you and goodbye.

Here is a question for all of you PRO-Nylobard people. Would you still consider installing it in your trailer after such conversation? Installing a small single piece may be OK but when you lock up 28' length with fasteners how much and where to it is going to expand? Being supported on 4' span of framework, how soft is it going to be in 80 degree temperature if it requires 1 foot span support grid per factory recommendation? I am very concerned for all of you. Respectfully, "Boatdoc"
Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #198
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I would like to follow Boatdoc with a direct observation concerning plastic products. First a disclaimer, I really like the idea and concept of nylaboard and truly hope it works for those doing an entire floor.

Now on to the observation. My step-father spent his career selling Ultra High Molecular Weight Plastic (UHMWP). He sold it to the iron industry to line buckets and conveyor underlayment. He sold it for any application that calls for one part sliding past another, etc. He currently has a six foor by two foot piece in his garage as a workbench top, and resides in South Carolina. Between the winter garage temps of the 20's and the summer temps in the 90's (note 70 degree temp differential), I estimate the expansion at 1" to 1 1/2". If this were a 34' long floor in my trailer, that would equate to almost 9" of expansion. Talk about floor heave!

I realize that nylaboard is not UHMWP, but it is more similar in nature than dissimilar. Perhaps being encased in fiberglass couple with the characteristics of nylon will mitigate the expansion.

I very much look forward to the reports of those using the product for full floor applications.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #199
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
Nyloboard Product data sheet

Hi boatdoc, any word on that data sheet. I haven't ordered my board yet as I found more work to do prior. Like they say, "don't look".
Anyway, I'm still curious about the thermal expansion. I only have the back 4' to do and I feel pretty good about using nyloboard since others have had no issues.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighAir View Post
Hi boatdoc, any word on that data sheet. I haven't ordered my board yet as I found more work to do prior. Like they say, "don't look".
Anyway, I'm still curious about the thermal expansion. I only have the back 4' to do and I feel pretty good about using nyloboard since others have had no issues.

Thanks!
Hi RaleighAir;
Made two requests now. No reply of any kind. It is very unusual not to provide the consumer with product data sheet.
I have asked for:
coefficient of linear thermal expansion
Level of Hydrogen cyanide under fire condition
Level of nitrogen
Level of oxides of carbon
No reply
When I have spoken to him on the phone he declined to answer claiming he did not have the info before him.
Thanks "Boatdoc"

Tags
nyloboard, plastic floor, specialty floor