Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

No steel plate in my Airstream.

I'm trying to decide if I should install a steel plate in the front of my Bubble. Airstream did not install one at the factory, I can only assume they didn't feel it was necessary on the small units. Does anyone out there have more info on this subject? It wouldn't be too hard to do but I would have to drill a bunch of holes in the front skin to attach it with rivets. It has held together without one for almost 50 years so I don't really know if it is needed.
58BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
The steel plate was there to reinforce the front for the battery box and I believe the bubble did not have one.I don't think it would be necessary to install one now.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
We just disassembled our front end, having discovered that a battery leak had seeped into the frame some years back. Our steel plate had corroded to the point where when we opened it, we found it completely detatched (see the link in my signature for photos). The thing is, we found it did have a structural value, though our Safari is a bit longer than your Bubble.

It appears to have provided rigidity to the frame, preventing it from flexing. Evidence of the flexing can be found in our trailer from popped rivets (especially in the interior) and evidence of the body detatching in the front from the frame. The plate also seems to have a particular role in holding the outside skin in place.

Your trailer may not need all of this support, because of its smaller size. Also, while it may not have the front plate, it may have the crossmember the plate attaches to--and that might provide satisfactory rigidity to your trailer.

Mary
Old 04-26-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

There is no crossmember there either. Has anyone else out there had a small Airstream with no steel plate?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Bubble;
Exactly what steel plate are you talking about? I don't think I have one either on my '58 Traveler. It doesn't have a cross-member either.
My battery box is on the street side, in front of the wheel well on that side.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

http://www.airforums.com/photo...s&searchid=436
The steel plate attaches the shell to the frame. It is riveted to the front center skin and then bolted to the frame. markdoan has a picture of one at the above address.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
58 Bubble's link didn't work for me. However, I posted a diagram of this plate here:

http://toastertales.blogspot.com/200...ssessment.html

If you wander around my site, you'll also find lots of photos of the plate and crossmember that detatched from our trailer.

My opinion (and it is just that)--the plate does have a functional role in the trailer. That functional role, however, may not be necessary for a smaller trailer. The smaller trailers did have certain elements cut out for reasons of economy, though (for instance, they used lower grade wood for the furniture). Also, what they felt at that time was unneccessary, may not have been the wisest engineering decision. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for signs of flexing (popped rivets, etc.). If you do see signs of problems, check further to see if other factors are contributing. Even so, I'd still consider adding reinforcement in this area if it were my trailer. But if you don't find any problems, then it's probably fine without it.

Mary
Old 04-29-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Welp I have a 58 26' International Overlander (top of the line) and there is no plate.

Hmmm - I've thought about adding one especially since I have a small crease on the lower front panel - but the crease is not from not having a plate - its from a rotted floor. I figure since there wasn't one there, and it seems to be pretty solid - I thought I would just leave it as is.

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:17 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

I'm leaning in the same direction.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:09 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
58 Bubble's link didn't work for me. However, I posted a diagram of this plate here:

http://toastertales.blogspot.com/200...ssessment.html

If you wander around my site, you'll also find lots of photos of the plate and crossmember that detatched from our trailer.

My opinion (and it is just that)--the plate does have a functional role in the trailer. That functional role, however, may not be necessary for a smaller trailer. The smaller trailers did have certain elements cut out for reasons of economy, though (for instance, they used lower grade wood for the furniture). Also, what they felt at that time was unneccessary, may not have been the wisest engineering decision. If I were in your shoes, I'd look for signs of flexing (popped rivets, etc.). If you do see signs of problems, check further to see if other factors are contributing. Even so, I'd still consider adding reinforcement in this area if it were my trailer. But if you don't find any problems, then it's probably fine without it.

Mary

I'm interested to know what they used for cabinets in your trailer since according to you, mine has lower grade wood. I was always impressed with the quality of materials that went into my Bubble. Heck, 50 years later everything has held up very well.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Sorry, there was no intention to offend here.I got my reference to lower grade wood in the Bambi (don't know about Bubbles) out of the Vintage Airstream Club's FAQs (personally, I have no opinion on this).

It's a bit irrellevant to this thread, but since you asked, my trailer is red oak. Drawers, frames are made of good quality stuff, doors appear to be from somewhat lower grade plywood with veneers.

If anything is clear, there appears to be little industrial consistency. We were surprised to notice that the frame on our unit is made from considerably larger bar stock than another '61 safari from the same year. I wonder how much worse the damage would have been if it had the smaller stock.

Looks like the steel plate may have been an innovation of the late 50s, maybe even at first just as an option or used for testing.

As I said before, if you don't have problems, then the plate may not be necessary. It is a problem for us--and the functional role is demonstrable in the flexing that is now visible since we removed the floor there. However, do note, until we took the floor apart, the signs of trouble were pretty darn subtle.

TTYL,

Mary