Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
No Factory Floor Covering

I'm not sure anyone has done this, but would anything prevent one from purchasing a new AS, and specifying no floor covering. Then cutting and putting down some carpet on your own (the small area means you can install a nice carpet economically). Not bothering to put it under cabinets and using minimum tack down, it would enable one to frequently check under the carpet for the first sign of a leak. Plus, as the carpet gets worn or dirty, it's easy to remove and put down more. A side bonus would be that change of pattern or color carpet might be a nice easy way to refresh the interior.

I know if I ever had to replace a floor due to rotting, I'd never trust putting down a perminent floor. Since it is almost a given that the AS floor will rot, this may be an easy way to keep your foot from going through the floor. Frequent checking means no damage and peace of mind. Any thoughts about this?
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
Sounds like a good idea, having never ordered an Airstream I don't know if that's an option, but I don't see why not. Sounds kinda harsh to say that it is almost given that the floor will rot, maybe I am the exception. Nothing will rot so long as you keep it dry, and keeping it dry takes some maintenance from time to time. There are certainly some areas of the camper that are more prone to leaking than others but that is true with any camper. I like the idea of making it easy to inspect and repair should you find an issue. These types of repairs are almost always way cheaper to fix when you catch them early. Keep us posted on what you find out !
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I would recommend high-quality carpet squares rather than roll carpet. I have used squares in two trailers now. Much easier than roll carpet to lay in the confines of a trailer. If you make a bad cut, little is lost since you can usually fit it in somewhere else. Get an extra square or two as spares in case of damage. Squares can be laid right on top of vinyl.

I have used squares bought from HD and squares bought from FLOR on the net. The HD squares had a sticky soft rubber back and stayed in place very nicely. The FLOR squares came with adhesive patches to use to join the corners after the carpet is in place.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote