Old 02-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I second TOP. He is a good guy and he will do it right. If you go to a generic RV place you will get a hack job that is worse than what you have now.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Hello and welcome to the forums!
There's Top's Vintage Trailer Works in Nolanville a little under three hours north of you. He's a member here under the name of Top. I realize that might be further than you wish to go but he's a great guy who knows Airstreams and is widely respected here. I'd trust him before going to any dealership.

Website
Top's Texas Vintage Camper Restorations | Harker Heights, TX 76548
Top's Texas Vintage Camper Restorations | Harker Heights, TX 76548

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tops-...68053996544081

Old 02-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
LesMesa, what vinyl flooring did the repair shop use? Was it a sheet or plank? Did they replace the whole vinyl to the bedroom?

Thanks

Kelvin

Old 02-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Check these spots for leaks

There are several places on an AS that can leak over time:

The Skylight - The plastic on the factory skylight cracks after a while. its a good idea to replace it with a Maxim skylight. You can do this yourself in under 4 hours. To check this, remove the plastic trim around the interior and check for water stains on the wood frame.

The trim above the rear bumper - A gap can develop over time in the sealant between the skin and the bottom of the trailer. pull off the trim piece around the rear and check for gaps. The trim is held on with a combination of screws and rivets. Replace the sealant.

Ceiling vent or fan. Check similar to skylight. Regular caulking usually keeps this water tight.

Clearance lights - less likely they are leaking . You might see condensation in the lens if you have a leak and water has accumulated in your under floor insulation. As it evaporates it will rise up through the space in the wall and show up as condensation in the clearance light.

Rear Windows - sometimes the holes to let the water out get clogged and water backs up in the window frame and runs in side the wall. You may notice stains on your interior fabric or black mold around the aluminum joints if this is happening. Keep your window frames clean and check the caulking on the screws holding the frame to the trailer body.

It is pretty easy to drop a corner of the rear belly pan and check for wet insulation under the floor. If you find it, take it all out. It is no longer insulating but it is feeding the mold rotting your floor.

On my 2005 FB, the wood floor was sealed on the edges and about a 6 inches in from the perimeter but that will not prevent rot once the insulation is soaked.

I learned all this the hard way over several different RV's including Airstreams and other brands. Regular inspection and preventive maintenance will save you a lot on large repairs over time. If you get a chance to do a leak test using the air pressure method it is worth the investment.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #18
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Wow, thanks so much for all the great info. It's almost warm enough to get my trailer out and start sealing. Thanks to all the great threads on the Forum, I think I might try to do some of this on my own. I certainly won't be able to replace the floor but I'll worry about that after I stop the leaks.

AND Kelvin, yes---I will for sure get a moisture meter!

I'll keep you posted and thanks again for everyone's info.

KDS
Old 02-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
LesMesa, what vinyl flooring did the repair shop use? Was it a sheet or plank? Did they replace the whole vinyl to the bedroom?

Thanks

Kelvin
Kelvin - it was a sheet. They removed all of the furniture/fittings, and installed throughout the trailer. It looks just like the original, with a slightly darker color, which I think looks better. This kind of repair is very labor intensive, everything from the furnace to the bed to the toilet had to be removed and reinstalled.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
The factory installs the vinyl before installing cabinets and walls. So did then just cut the sheet around the kitchen and interior walls? Did they put any quarter round on the edges of the cabinets and interior walls. Did they glue the sheeting down?

Kelvin
Old 02-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
The factory installs the vinyl before installing cabinets and walls. So did then just cut the sheet around the kitchen and interior walls? Did they put any quarter round on the edges of the cabinets and interior walls. Did they glue the sheeting down?

Kelvin
Yes, they were able to cut the sheet around the kitchen and interior walls - everything else was taken out. I was impressed, I certainly don't have the skills to do a job like that. I'm not sure what the quarter round is, but the new sheeting was glued down.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #22
Continents Collide

1985 32' Excella
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
A quick update to the thread I started last month - I took the Airstream into Carey's RV, as several Airstream owners provided me with positive recommendations, and Carey's is conveniently located for me.

I had to wait two weeks to get the Airstream in, and the repairs took about three weeks. I could not be happier with both the price and result. The subfloor from the rear windows all the way to the refrigerator was replaced. Unfortunately for me, the floor in my Airstream was no longer in production, so the entire vinyl floor had to be replaced so that it matched throughout.

All work was done to a high standard and Carey's went the extra mile to ensure all leaks and potential leaks were caulked. I want to pass this recommendation along in case anyone else needs repairs in the Houston area. I will be using Carey's for all my future repair and maintenance needs.

We got the Airstream back Friday afternoon and took it up to to Hill Country for the three day weekend to enjoy!

Do you mind me asking an approximate cost? We are in the market for one in the beginning stages of rear end separation and wondered what it would cost us.

Thank you so much!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by continentsco View Post
Do you mind me asking an approximate cost? We are in the market for one in the beginning stages of rear end separation and wondered what it would cost us.

Thank you so much!
Resealing all of the area where leaks may be possible, and replacing the floor was, if I remember correctly, about $4,500. A lot of money, but when I started thinking about all of the labor involved, I was quite happy with the price. It's also given us a camper that was been leak free for the last 2.5 years.

Good luck with your repair!