Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
NorthernWind, thank you. I will definitely request marine plywood, sealed. I ordered a moisture sensor with a detachable probe yesterday to keep tabs on things going forward. Great suggestion to have inspection holes.
lbdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:47 AM   #22

2006 28' International CCD
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdesign View Post
Hello all,
I've been reading the forum for hours tonight, have learned a lot, but I still feel the need to reach out directly for help and advice from those that have been there before.

I have a section of soft floor across the rear of my 2004 22-foot CCD. I bought it used last summer. It sat in an outdoor storage yard all winter. When I picked it up in the spring, I saw that it had developed a small leak that let rainwater invisbly pool along the very back wall, under the vinyl floor. This is a front-bed floor plan, and across the back is a writing desk on the curbside, and a wet bath in the street side corner. I am not sure if the soft floor extends beneath the fiberglass pan of the bathroom or not. I see it under the writing desk, against the rear wall. The floor seems structurally sound but is flaking on the edge in back. The moisture also supports some cockroaches who moved in, but that's a different issue.

I arranged a repair appointment with C&G Trailer Service in Bellflower CA (near Los Angeles). I towed it 2 hours on the appointed day, and they said a 1- to 2-foot section of floor needs to be replaced across the rear. He's not sure if the bathroom has to come out or not. They were very nice but did not honor the appointment and sent me away, asking me to come back in 20 days because they were too busy to start the work as previously arranged.

So I was assuming I'd have to go back and pay them $3000 to $4000 and wait 2 weeks while they worked on it. Because I read on this forum that they are very good. But I'm fulltiming in my Airstream while on a 1-year sabbatical, so being homeless for 2 weeks is a hardship.

Then I met a RV detailer down here in San Diego where I am staying, and he and his construction-worker partner said they could replace the subfloor AND put in a pergo-style laminate floor in place of the original vinyl one, for half of C&G's estimate.

Then I read about rotdoctor.com products on this forum, and wonder if the floor is intact but soft whether that would work instead.

So my request for opinions is:

Do I pay a lot and have the C&G pros replace the floor, which includes pulling out the desk and furnace, and possibly the bathroom, but reuse the existing vinyl floor (peel it back then roll it back when done).

Do I trust the general handymen to do a similar job and then lay pergo-style laminate on top of the floor throughout the trailer (which would look nice, but I wonder about all the curves...)

Do I instead hire the handymen to peel the floor back and use the Rot Doctor products to resolidify the existing plywood floor?

Or something else that you'd recommend?

thank you very much in advance,
--Lee
am curious as to what action you finally took as I have a similar problem in my 28 foot CCD.
rqajpa is offline   Reply With Quote