Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Small sections can be replaced without removing the shell. I replaced my rear floor with the shell on and many others have done it. Structurally the front and rear body/floor/frame attach points are the most important. The shell and frame work together as unit to support the trailer.

Perry

Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #16

2004 22' International CCD
Donnelly , Idaho
2004 22" CCD Water Leak causing flood damage

My Airstream 22' is being worked on by Southwest Coaches. Justin has the desk out, taking out the rear head/shower and sink counter today. Major work. He does not think it is a bumper problem. He only sees that bumper leak problem with 2007s and newer. He is looking for a plumbing leak. They just moved to Corona. I will be going out there today to take a look.

Lee, I will keep you posted.

Pat

Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Thank you

Pat, thank you for your post. I'm sorry I didn't see it when you posted it. How did your floor turn out, and what did they find?
I'm pretty sure in my case it's a rain leak of some sort, because upon moving to an arid climate, the floor remains dry.
I'm about to go in for service, so it would be great to compare notes with you, or anyone else who's had a similar problem.
thanks,
--Lee
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #18

Donnelly , Idaho
2004 22" CCD Water Leak causing flood damage

Lee,

The floor rot was very extensive as well as repair costs. Everything was taken out and floor was replaced. Then everything put back in. South Coast did a great job. We sealed all seams at bottom of outside frame. Staying compeletely dry inside now.

Pat
Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
RR4 Marmora , Ontario
Floor repair

Being in the RV repair business I replace many floors each year, I try and line up several units a month for the winter to keep me busy. Each unit is different thats for sure. One thing that I have learned is that all RVs leak at some point and they are all made with cheap floors, mostly OSB (chip board) When I replace a floor I always recommend marine grade plywood, it ranges from about $75 to $95 a sheet and will out last the customer and probably the RV. Before any floor work is done I always make sure that all the leaks have been found and fixed. If it's a roof or window leak I check the paneling under the leak to make sure that mold has not started in the walls. I recommend holes be drilled in the backs of cupboards, closets and behind fixtures where I insert my remote Milwaukee camers with a 8 foot flex lighted lens and take pictures to show the owner, I always plug the holes with rubber auto plugs which can be removed the next year for inspection. Any mold is removed and treated, and then the area is sprayed with mold control and left to dry before resealing.
Back to the floor replacement, most of the time the floors can be fixed without having to remove the shell and a lot are covered by insurance. I find that if the shell has to be removed the insurance will just scrap the trailer as its not worth fixing, I don't always agree but it's their call.
I know when I recommend the marine grade plywood they never argue and always ask why the manufacture never uses it, COST and REPLACEMENT same as the auto industry but thats another story.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Pat, thank you for your update. I'm sorry the rot was extensive. And thanks for the recommendation of South Coast in Corona CA — I'll check them out.
best,
--Lee
Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
NorthernWind, thank you. I will definitely request marine plywood, sealed. I ordered a moisture sensor with a detachable probe yesterday to keep tabs on things going forward. Great suggestion to have inspection holes.