Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 20
San Leandro , California
Newbie needs help with Argosy floor

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 1975 Argosy 20 foot trailer. I plan to partially gut it and renovate. My first step is replacing a window (that's a different post) and second is the flooring. I do not want to do a shell off renovation. Has anyone replaced the floor on their Argosy and has documented their steps. I am completely inexperienced here so any guidance is much appreciated! Also, can I replace the floor without a full plan for the plumbing/electrical? Or are there lots of things that need to be planned out before the floor is replaced? Thanks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3051.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	286822
tinystream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy! The goal is to find a way to remove the existing wood and replace between frame and the c-channel the skins and ribs attach to. Ideally removing inner skin in area of replacement should allow loosening of channel to frame fasteners. That will help wood slip out... replacing will probably need to be done in pieces then double the joints.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 20
San Leandro , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Howdy! The goal is to find a way to remove the existing wood and replace between frame and the c-channel the skins and ribs attach to. Ideally removing inner skin in area of replacement should allow loosening of channel to frame fasteners. That will help wood slip out... replacing will probably need to be done in pieces then double the joints.

Thanks! What type of wood is usually used for the floor? Just plywood at same the same thickness as the existing?
tinystream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinystream View Post
Thanks! What type of wood is usually used for the floor? Just plywood at same the same thickness as the existing?
Everyone has their own ideas.. but don't use the OSB ..

Were I going to repair I would use Marine Grade plywood. You can get in exact size at a quality wood supplier... not a big box.

If I could afford, I would use marine laminated panels. Big$$$
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Your plumbing is above the floor with the exception of the shower drain, you can see it once you have the belly pan off. If your doing a shell on replacement your electric shouldn't require much of plan either. You will have to move the converter around when you start on the back but other wise should be smooth sailing.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Los Altos , California
One thing you may want to consider is just replacing the damaged area. I replaced only the area below the front couch and pieced in the new plywood ensuring all seams were over a solid frame piece and tucked into the channel. I then covered the entire area wall to wall with a solid sheet. It supported my weight without any give, then I reinstalled the front couch and water tank.
CA_CAJUN is offline   Reply With Quote