Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
wanderluster

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
New some advice on what I found under the vinyl floor

Hey Gang,

I just purchased a 2005 International 28'. It looked like a sweet unit when I got. I had planned to get the vinyl out of there as soon as I got it home. When I tore up the old flooring I noticed a low spot between the shower and the bathroom. Once I got the flooring up I discovered a hand-written box, about 20"x20" that says "Bad Soft Spot". When I look around I notice that the ink is consistent with the original markings that are throughout the trailer's floor in terms of how much it's faded, thickness, color, etc. My belief is that Airstream put in the floor, knew there was a soft spot, added a couple of extra screws and laid the flooring over the top.

I haven't measured the low spot but I imagine it is at least 1/4 inch lower in the middle. There is also another soft spot near the heater duct in the kitchen.

I'd like to get some opinions on what to do here. I just bought it used from a dealer who was consigning the trailer in Salt Lake City.

I'll try to add some images.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000784.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	103580   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000785.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	103581  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000786.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	103582  
Ophir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
uh oh. what does the paperwork say from the dealer? any disclaimers? any sign of water damage? leakage? i wouldn't start repairing the floor w/o knowing more about how it got to be 'soft'.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Florring

Also did the floor come up easily without having to cut the vinyl to get it out.In mine it goes under all the furniture and cabinets.This could be the result of them replacing it at the said dealership if there was something wrong poosibly.Not saying there is though.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow, a bad floor in a 2005!!! Yikes!

I would contact the dealership where you bought it before I did anything to repair the floor.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Weak man. However looking over the floor with a careful eye, it doesn't look like the floor has been patched. Very odd. I'm wondering if the frame was actually defective and they went ahead and built the unit anyway. I'm thinking that the cross member might have been welded to the main frame members about 1/4 inch too low, or that it might not have had a droop instead of being level. Of course the black and gray tanks are mounted under that section of the floor too, so it's possible the weight of those caused the floor to sag.

You've gone this far, drop the belly pan in that section. You'll see more clearly what's happening from below.

Wow. I'm looking at a 27 FB classic right now, about the same vintage.

Paula
Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
wanderluster

Salt Lake City , Utah
My suspicions are that this is original, from Airstream. The reason for thinking is that the vinyl in there was edge to edge in the trailer and all the cabinetry was put on top. The ink, the color, the writing, the aging, etc are all the same as the marks used to layout the flooring. And, as mentioned, there is no patch work. My guess is this thing got to this phase of work and they elected to go ahead with it despite being ID'd as a "Bad Soft Spot".

I am wondering if I have any recourse with Airstream. It is obviously outside the warranty. Given this was done there and was willfully overlooked I am wondering if there is a possible negligence case.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
From my visit and talks with the service personnel at JC last week, all finished flooring covering is installed over the entire sub-floor in one piece and the furniture is installed on top. This is the way it's always been - so I am told, since the one piece covering was brought into the production of the modern trailers.

I will say that I have never seen a piecemeal floor board used in the subfloor. They are usually the width of the trailer and in 4 foot sections (length wise to the trailer) or enough length to reach from frame member to frame member. So, if there is a small piece then I would say there was a repair - where though???? factory or dealer???? That is a big question.

It's not below AS to make in assembly corrections to the production line. Check to see where your serial number fits if you can, in the years production. Was it an early model and they had to adjust for a design flaw? Could be they caught an error and tried to make a quick repair. When they pulled my furniture out last week for a subfloor repair there were over 200 rivit "nails" under the kitchen cabinet, so much for cleaning up on the line as the go along.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
wanderluster

Salt Lake City , Utah
There never was a repair, all the subflooring is intact and original. The vinyl flooring was in one piece and it under all furniture and cabinets so it was also the original. This is what leads me to believe it happened at the factory.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sunny Skies , Rockies
Ophir.
Call AS and ask for the top level contact information and let them know the problem. Make sure that you present it the same as you have on this thread. From the sounds of it, it seems like you have enough proof of negligence to have a case. Either way, give them a chance to respond. Make sure you get names of people you talk to, dates, etc. in case you need to further pursue it. Phone conversations as well as mailing a certified letter and pics of the problem are important. It may be a time consuming process, but you may get a favorable response. Either way, keep track of EVERYTHING.
Bottom line is to make it clear to them that "They have knowingly put out a faulty product"
My wife went through a similar situation (not with an AS) and she got the run around until she talked to a manager and told them just that. The problem was taken care of soon after.
good luck
Marcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
It quite possible that that area was identified as being soft OR potentailly being soft due to teh amount of knots in the wood in that small area...THOSE can allow for a soft area...Not sure if id say its a faulty product, or even neglect... minimally its crappy workmanship..
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Your subfloor seems to be in pristine condition--the few stains I see are from the markers?

Is it indeed soft? How soft? If it is low, how low?

I'm guessing the wood is "has always been dry" condition. Maybe, maybe, that pinkish pattern can be indicative of some moisture in the past (condensation?) Without having seen the whole pattern of pink throughout the entire trailer, I reserve the judgement.

If you determine, the wood is structurally sound. I say, address the low or soft spot with some improvisation.

What can JC do for you at this point really? I would be afraid of JC introducing you to many new problems by taking your trailer apart and trying to put them back together without any mistakes.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
I have the same 28'CCD, and I'm familiar with every parts that make up that trailer.

I had a leak (freeze damaged water intake, dripping plastic (?!) regulator) above roadside wheel well. The water would accumulate above the plastic wheel well and be channeled to the middle of the trailer in between the subfloor and the vinyl sheet. This is below the shower pan to the corridor and to around the foot of the bed. One can check this by removing the black wall panel that is next to the shower and facing the rear. It's super easy to remove this largest panel; just unscrew 5 screws.

You can also easily unscrew the entire bed from the floor and from the wall to lift it off the floor. Same go for quarter-end closets.

I advise you to definitely unscrew the diamond plate sheet in the trunk, so you can peel off the vinyl sheet, so you can inspect if there's any water damage in the rear. You can even do this from outside without lifting the bed. (There are many threads about this 'bumper leak' issue.)