Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Dorchester , Ontario
New Frame

Can someone shed some light on the size and thickness of C channel I should use build a ladder frame for a 21 foot with no washroom or tanks used.From pictures I see C channel is used but looks like box tubing used up front for the hitch area and around the axle area.The old pipe frame is shot and it was made using aluminum stringers which are full of holes. Thanks
Vintage One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I can't really help with the specifics of the mechanics here, but I can show you a picture of how Airstream restoration expert David Winick stabilized the pipe frame on his 1948 Wee Wind.

As I recall there might have been some exposition about this in a recent feature article in Airstream Life, but I can't find my copy of it right now so can't provide details of the sizes of material used.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Dorchester , Ontario
pipe frame

Is the angle iron used to support the pipe frame 2x2 and are the crossmembers cut at the top to allow the angle iron to sit down a couple of inches? Can more pictures be posted of this frame please? Thanks
Vintage One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hello Paul ,

If you can provide some additional information about your trailer and application you may receive more advice and thought relative to your question. Photographs would sure be helpful too.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote