Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2004, 06:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Stilwell , Kansas
New floor for '69 sovereign

We tore out the carpet and hope to put in a new tile floor. What are the opinions regarding a peal and stick type tile?
Bill
40wnks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40wnks
We tore out the carpet and hope to put in a new tile floor. What are the opinions regarding a peal and stick type tile?
Bill
Bill, if it's the peel-and-stick type linoleum tiles you're thinking about, don't! They looked very good at first, but the temperature extremes and the slight flexing of the rig caused nearly every one of them to pop off the floor within about a year. It was a total mess in the end.

Lynn
Old 05-17-2004, 08:27 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Stilwell , Kansas
Very good point! Makes sense. Thanks.

Bill
40wnks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:33 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I just removed the carpet in my rig and was going to put down those linoleum squares, but decided to put the 1/4 inch parquet wood floor that is glued down. It is being done as we speak.

Oh yeah, only had one small area of rot in floor that had to be cut out and replaced. I will post pics when it is finished.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:27 AM   #5
Craftsman

I'd like to mention one other point about the individual peel and stick tiles: No matter how well they stick and look in the begining, there will be some creep or ever so slight movement over time and dirt builds up between them that you can never completely clean.If you use vinyl , put it down in one piece. You can make a very accurate brown paper pattern ( can be made from how ever many pieces it takes) that will give you a very professional looking job.You just have to be carefull that the pattern is accurate. I make the vinyl about one eighth(1/8) larger on all sides. Slide up against the cabinets, check for fit,back it out,make any small adjustments with a straight edge and matt knife, do the same to the other sides and you should get a perfect fit. It really is worth the extra effort. Good luck with what ever method you decide on.
Jack
Old 05-23-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Timely question & comments

Glad I did a search on this topic. My wife & I just bought a 94 Excella & we had self-stick tile samples from Home Depot and Lowes. We had picked one we liked and were ready to order up the tiles. Now I'm rethinking. Based on these comments, I think I'll take them back and go with a laminate floor!

Dave
zoom240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
ifloor.com will send samples for a small fee each. It's really worth it as the selection is huge but you cann't really tell exactly what it looks like until you hold a piece. I had to wait for the cork flooring to come from euro someplace but it all worked out.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote