Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Mason , Michigan
Need help with my Safari frame

Hi everyone,
I am restoring a 1964 Safari. Just removed the shell and the floor. The frame was in good shape with just some surface rust in some places. Just finished with the PORS 15. Did not find any cracks in the frame. Also added a couple of gussets in the A frame for added strength. Installed a new axle.
I have noticed the front right side of the frame measured at the end of the gussets are about 3/4 inch lower than the right side. Is this difference within the limits or should I check out a frame shop. Is there some flex in the frame with no weight on the frame?
Any help would be appreciated, this is a great forum!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Joe
jcarnevale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I honestly didn't know what a Gusset was, so I Wiki'd it: Gusset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

"Gussets are used in manufacturing of modern tights or pantyhose to add breadth at the crotch seam; these gussets are often made of breathable fabrics for hygiene when wearing pantyhose without underwear."

So I still don't know what you are refering to, but am afraid to ask for a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gusset..jpg
Views:	130
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	172182  
Old 11-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
I honestly didn't know what a Gusset was, so I Wiki'd it: Gusset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

"Gussets are used in manufacturing of modern tights or pantyhose to add breadth at the crotch seam; these gussets are often made of breathable fabrics for hygiene when wearing pantyhose without underwear."

So I still don't know what you are refering to, but am afraid to ask for a picture.
Gusseting is attaching a reinforcing piece onto a structural member.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Mason , Michigan
I guess I should of call them the outrigger instead of a gusset. Sorry for the confusion.
Joe
Old 11-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Just the other day I stopped by my local frame shop and they quoted me $30 to check the frame on my car.

If you have the time and money, why not get it straightended out?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Do you have a picture of where it is not straight or square?

Before adding any gussets or strengthening the frame in any way, you want it as straight and square as you can get it. Any reinforcements will help hold it where it is at the time that you install them.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

It probably won't make any difference if you straighten it out or not if you are going to line up the mounting holes again when you put the shell back on. Just a thought

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
The key is to have the frame as straight as possible and the axle as perpendicular to the centerline of the trailer as possible. If not it won't tow like it should. Having a straight and "true" frame is one of the keys to having a trailer that tows well.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The discussion above has been entertaining...but...I'm still wondering what you mean when you say that one side (outriggers, gussets, thingies, etc.) is 3/4" lower than the other on the frame. Do you mean the frame is supported by jackstands, is completely level, and you have outriggers that are lower on one side than on the other, or that the frame is sitting on the axle on tires on some kind of slab, and there is a difference in measurement?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Mason , Michigan
Tilting frame

After removing the Safari from the woods where it had been for several years I noticed it was slightly tilted to the right in the front right side. We thought it was the bad axle causing the tilting. After removing the shell , floor and installed the new axle, I leveled the frame in the workshop. The frame drops about a inch from the left side to the right side. The frame was okay by the axle. Talked with a frame shop today and scheduled to have them check the frame.
Thanks for all the comments. This site really is great.
joe