Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
NEED FEEDBACK ASAP on a 1960 Trade Wind!!

hi guys,

well, i've made the trip up to knoxville to see my parents, and a 1960 trade wind. i was told everything with the trailer was in good condition, which of course we all know how that is... anyway, here's the good news...

1960 Trade Wind
• Great Skins (one minor dent)
• all interior there, including original 1960 light sconces, mag rack, PROPANE light, ALL window frames, All cabinets, except the rear sink.
• recently towed 300 miles, no probs.
• all running lights work
• says it doesn't leak (i know... i don't believe him either).
• says all interior lights work... there's not many, so i believe him.

now for the bad...
• belly is shot... all holes plugged with GREAT STUFF!
• Frame is rusty.

this leads me to my problem. we're heading home tomorrow after lunch. i need to make a decision on this trailer tomorrow morning. the rear frame where it extends out to the bumper is rusted badly. when i stand on it, it gives an inch or so. i looked underneath, and it's rusted through. it would hold for the trip, in fact, it would probably hold for years... but i want to restore her, like my others. the big question is, can this be easily repaired? the rusted through part is the main beams that extend out. my 59 traveller had several outriggers rusted away.. no big deal, those are easy to fix. this is the main frame. i jumped around inside it to see if there were any other bad spots in teh floor, and i didn't really feel any. the only other part of the frame that's bad is on the part that leads to the tongue. it's rusted through on one of the corners a bit. again, it's plenty strong enough for now, but not for the long haul.

are frame patch/repairs like this easy and relatively inexpensive to do? if i get this trailer, i fully intend to discard the whole belly pan anyway, fix any spots in the floor, get rid of surface rust, and install a new belly, so that doesn't really concern me. i DO NOT, however want to take this completely off the frame to have it repaired or totally replaced. i've done that on my 59, as some of you may know, and that would be way too much time to do it again. i'm really hoping for a mild frame-on restoration ont his one.

the really good news is his asking price... $1,000. time to weigh things. any feedback you all could give me would be great! i know there's a ton of opinions out there!

thanks all!

jordan

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
forgot to mention, she's got awnings on all the windows, too. very solid interior!

doh, what to do! if i pass, is anyone else out there interested in a 60 trade wind in tennessee?

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-15-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
For $1000...

I'd buy it, tow it home and buy some time to decide if it's "worth it" to you. If not, I'm sure someone else will think it is and you'll get your $1000 back. Even if you disclose your discoveries...someone looking for a "first trailer" or "project" has different ideas and more time than you may have this being your third.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I've already got one TW in Tennessee, but I would have to think long and hard too. Lots of good stuff on there. It sounds like you've almost got yourself talked into it. But then I can't answer your question on frame repair. If only you could get your hands on some equipment like a scope, flexible fiberoptic type like we use for medical procedures. Then you could get up in those belly holes and really see how bad, or lets be optimistic and say how good it is. Shari's probably right. If you decide not to tackle it, someone else will.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
No brainer

What...have you lost your aluminum coated mind?
Pick it up!
The price is right, even if it's a rust bucket. The parts alone would bring you twice that if you e-bayed it. Not that I would ever endorse stripping an almost perfect Airstream....
Unfortunately, for severe frame repairs, it seems always best to pull the shell, or at least the floor. How else are you going to weld under the floor?
Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
I agree, buy it! If you decide later it was a "mistake".... you can certainly get your purchase price plus gas & travel $ back from another buyer. Especially if it is all there! If it winds up to be really bad, you can part it out and make a fortune!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I agree, buy it! If it does not work out, sell it to Uwe.....

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey, forget Uwe, I want it! Just kidding, buy it, tow it home, heck I'll even come help you park it if you need me. Sounds like much too good of a deal to pass up

And yes, you can find somebody to weld that frame with minimum "stuff" removal. Did I offer to help with this project yet?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
It looks like you've to the right place to get a totally biased opinion. :-)

I'm sure that you or someone else can give a "Terrific Trade Wind" a good home.
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:47 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Buy it!! I definetly would, when we would be living on the right (airstream) side of the big pond...

Go for it!

(I trust in you, that you will make the one and only (right ) decision.. )

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven΄t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:28 AM   #11
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
well... obviously my WIFE hasn't voiced an opinion on here. ha! i should have known better than to ask my fellow allumiholics for their opinions! we're going to look at it again this morning. at the very least, i may see if the guy would sell me the rear window and operators for airstream # 1. that's what got me interested in it at first... that and the bargman 77 door handle... if only i would have found this gem back when i was re-skinning the silver pickle. the end caps are beautiful. it was used as a hunting lodge for what i can guess the better part of it's life. the belly pan, though is a mess. funny it could bet so much damage below the water line.

this frame damage is pretty severe, though. i wish i could post pics of it. it i knew for certain that the exposed trouble was all there is, that's one thing... but i'm paranoid that this might just be the tip of the iceberg.

don't worry fellow addicts... if i pass on this one, i'll be sealing the deal on a 61 globe trotter when i get home. i've already told myself i "deserve" another project...

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #12
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Hey, forget Uwe, I want it! Just kidding, buy it, tow it home, heck I'll even come help you park it if you need me. Sounds like much too good of a deal to pass up

And yes, you can find somebody to weld that frame with minimum "stuff" removal. Did I offer to help with this project yet?

Jim
ha! now jim, you saw the state of my 18 footer...

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-16-2006, 06:31 AM   #13
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
What...have you lost your aluminum coated mind?
Pick it up!
The price is right, even if it's a rust bucket. The parts alone would bring you twice that if you e-bayed it. Not that I would ever endorse stripping an almost perfect Airstream....
Unfortunately, for severe frame repairs, it seems always best to pull the shell, or at least the floor. How else are you going to weld under the floor?
you are a bad influence, you know that? :P part of me DOES think i should rescue this poor discarded trailer from the ravages of time up here in the tennessee hills... i know someone on here would give it the love it needs...

is this how those old ladies with a house full of cats gets started?

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #14
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
...someone looking for a "first trailer" or "project" has different ideas and more time than you may have this being your third.

Shari

gee, you say third like that's unusual?

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 09-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #15
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
working a deal out here

ok, the deal is all but sealed. i'll be picking up the trade wind as soon as we get back from england, mid october, prob. i wanted to take her home today, but it was already after 3:00 and the rust on the front part of the frame has me pretty concerned. the actual frame rails are rusted through on both diagonal pieces, right ahead of the weight distributing mount. one has a perforation big enough to slide 2 quarters through (stacked), and the other side has a hole maybe the size of a small acorn. i'm hoping this can be easily fixed. the current owner says he's going to try to talk to a welder up there and see if he can patch it for my trip back to atlanta. once it's here, it might be worth having new metal welded in, i really don't know what's best.

my wife was sold on the skins. if only our little 59 was this clean... i never would have had the pleasure of reskinning the whole darn thing! ha!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
Old 11-10-2006, 07:20 AM   #16
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
forgot to post this. i ended up passing on the 60 tradewind. if anyone's interested, i can get them a phone number. it's a shame to see it just sit there, but i ended up tackling a globe trotter instead.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •

Tags