Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #1

1969 27' Overlander
San Diego , California
Exclamation Need Answer ASAP - Floor Separation

Hi Airstreamers...

A few months back we discovered our rig has floor separation. It is a 1969 27' Overlander with rear bath.

My question is this... we need to make a trip from San Diego to North Dakota in the next week. Is it a really bad idea to take the Airstream? Or will it be ok?

The floor separation is in the rear-end. The bumper sits roughly an inch to inch and a half lower than it should where the floor and shell are separated. we need to make this trip for work, so it's a big deal. This isn't a vacation trip.

Has anyone had experience trailering with floor separation? Any advice, insights etc..?

Thank you so much for your feedback in advance.

- Andrea
andi-n-jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
That sounds like a lot of distance between the body and frame. Confirm the frame has not rusted through where the banana wrap touches the frame by bouncing the bumper.

Assuming the frame is ok, if you look under the trailer from the rear you will probably see little ripples in the bottom of the plates the axles bolt to which indicates the frame has bent a little at that point. ( usually from rough roads) You may also see signs of the interior center partition trying to push up through the roof or some bulging of the body outward over the wheel wells.

If the frame is not broken I would not hesitate to tow it. I have all these symptoms on my 69 29 footer and this was a very common problem.

I suppose I need to put in a bunch of legal disclaimers here since I haven't actually seen the trailer.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Rear end sag/separation is common to certain model/vintage rigs.

Here are some threads on the subject.

Airstream Forums - Search Results

We certainly can't tell you what to do but reading some of the above threads my help you in the decision process.

If you proceed my suggestion would be to have a contingency plan should you run into difficulty. Having a rig trailered back or repaired at a remote dealer could prove costly.

Wish you the best,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #4

1969 27' Overlander
San Diego , California
Arrow

Hi Rick & Kevin,

We really appreciate your posts.

Our trip has been moved back a week so we'll have a bit more time to do these checks and take advantage of searching the forums on this.

One thing we do know is the frame is not broken. That's a good thing!

After two years of unemployment a job was offered.... it just happens to be 2200 miles away I would say this is a bonafide American Airstream story. We need our vintage baby to make this trip with flying colors. We'll keep you posted on how this goes. As it stands... a contingency plan is aof course a great idea, there are simply no apparent resources for it. Its all or nothing.

Sincere gratitude for your feedback.

A and J
Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Congratulations on the new job!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
I would say take it really easy. Make sure the wheel bearrings are packed and the tires are good to go. Good luck!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Good luck on your run.

A 'n J...
Good luck on your run, take it easy, watch those drive way and gas station curbs and have fun.
Let us know when you get back, we'll take a look at your rig, offer some help if we can. We installed new rear frame and floor to the rear section of our Safari.
Enjoy the new gig!
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #8

1969 27' Overlander
San Diego , California
An Update!

Well... here's the latest. The hiring company sent out a critical email just BEFORE we were about to leave to head up to North Dakota saying the Army Corp of Engineers postponed the start-date due to problems with bleeding the dam.

As of today - another email received - the job has been postponed indefinitely due to flooding in the area from excessive rainfall. So...

No trip. No job (yet) and the trailer is still sitting safely right here in San Diego. While that gives us time to get the floor separation handled - no job means no resources to do so... a little catch22!

We did pop over to Phoenix this past Sunday so Jai could interview, test and get the background check for another job opportunity that came up while waiting to see what would happen with the ND job. We didn't pull the Airstream since it was only overnight. No point in taking it until we checked it out thoroughly. When Jai arrived at the interview he was told the pay offered over-the-phone wasn't actually available, nor the position that was originally offered. Beginning to wonder if there are hidden cameras somewhere.

None the less, thank you everyone for posting and for the well wishes. It will work out somehow. That's how life works...

Warm regards,
A & J!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi-n-jag
An Update!

Well... here's the latest. The hiring company sent out a critical email just BEFORE we were about to leave to head up to North Dakota saying the Army Corp of Engineers postponed the start-date due to problems with bleeding the dam.

As of today - another email received - the job has been postponed indefinitely due to flooding in the area from excessive rainfall. So...

No trip. No job (yet) and the trailer is still sitting safely right here in San Diego. While that gives us time to get the floor separation handled - no job means no resources to do so... a little catch22!

We did pop over to Phoenix this past Sunday so Jai could interview, test and get the background check for another job opportunity that came up while waiting to see what would happen with the ND job. We didn't pull the Airstream since it was only overnight. No point in taking it until we checked it out thoroughly. When Jai arrived at the interview he was told the pay offered over-the-phone wasn't actually available, nor the position that was originally offered. Beginning to wonder if there are hidden cameras somewhere.

None the less, thank you everyone for posting and for the well wishes. It will work out somehow. That's how life works...

Warm regards,
A & J!
Hang in there! Makes me mad though that these bush league hiring managers have no respect or comprehension of the COSTS you will incur just to interview with them. You are unemployed, and struggling already, the least they can do is be honest and forthright with the position's details!
I'll keep you in my prayers.
:mad
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Sorry to hear that you guys are getting the run around. Keep your chin up! Just remember that no is sometimes a gift.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote