Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Need advise for sag check on 30 ft 1968 Airstream

Her gang, I am looking at buying this 30 Ft Soverign Airstream. Its for sale locally and is a rear bath. I am told to be carefull of rear bath mods as they sag. What do I need to look for and what or how do I need to do to fix or stop potential sag if it is in fact not saged yet?

Does that make sense????

This trailer has been sitting in the same sport for over 20 years in a very very dry norhtern Nevada climate.

Thanks for any advise in advance of making an offer on this trailer that the owner wants $1800 for.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	77806   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 4.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	77807  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream rear left.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	77808  
LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWFISH View Post
Her gang, I am looking at buying this 30 Ft Soverign Airstream. Its for sale locally and is a rear bath. I am told to be carefull of rear bath mods as they sag. What do I need to look for and what or how do I need to do to fix or stop potential sag if it is in fact not saged yet?

Does that make sense????

This trailer has been sitting in the same sport for over 20 years in a very very dry norhtern Nevada climate.

Thanks for any advise in advance of making an offer on this trailer that the owner wants $1800 for.

Dave
It's not a "sag" but rear end separation, where the frame is pulling away from the shell at the rear.

You can probably bet on a set of axles, since the trailer has not moved in 20 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Squat down at the roadside & curbside front corners. Sight along the lower side skin and look back past the wheel wells. Is there any skin distortion aft of the wheelwells?

Squat down at the back bumper. Put a nimble person up on the bumper and have them bounce on the bumper slightly at first. Is there any movement between the bumper & shell?

These desert Airstreams do tend to be in better shape. Is there any apparent damage from the rear compartment door being missing? Nice to see that the side Corning windows are still there. Are the frames for the front & back windows hidden under the chipboard?

Nice looking year!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Short answer is go stand on the rear bumper and bounce a little- if you notice any deflection between the bumper compartment and the shell above it, you've got sag. Or get down there and look- a gap in that area will be reasonably obvious. Better yet, look through other threads here that deal with sag/separation, you'll learn everything you never wanted to know... But- it can all be fixed! Good luck and have fun!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, 1968 airstream