Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ore City , Texas
Need A measurement

We pulled our AS from Fl. to TX last weekend and had a great trip with no problems. I have started working on the rear of the unit where the biggest problem area is. The trailer was parked under a carport with the rear end sticking out a few feet. The rear frame from about 12" under the back edge is gone. I have the rear bumper, but is had been stored inside for the last year or so, since is rusted off. After droping the rear panels, the rust damage is less than I expected. The last three outrigers on both sides need to be replaced and the missing frame sections repaired. My questions so far are, 1. how far out from the lower rear edge of the shell do the bumper supports need to be, and 2. what is the recomended material for the replacement of these supports.
I have a lot more questions, but I'm taking this one step at a time. Thanks
tdeLorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
outriggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeLorme View Post
1. how far out from the lower rear edge of the shell do the bumper supports need to be, and 2. what is the recomended material for the replacement of these supports.
Here is a link to the Outriggers that you can get.

The link

The Metal for the frame is about 3/16 inch c-channel. I say about because most units have suffered some rust depletion.

The main reason I post now is to get you to focus on how this frame needs to be tied to the body/shell of the unit. There is a lot of strength the body. It has to be tied to the frame.

Dan
Old 11-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ore City , Texas
Thanks, Dan. I had found the outriggers and will order what we need when I get the belly completely uncovered.
I understand the relationship to the frame, floor, ribs and shell and won't cut corners in any area that would effect the integrity of the trailer.
The 3/16" channel seems like overkill, but since I only need to replace about three feet on each side the extra weight should be OK.
I've reached the point where I'm thinking, well if I do this, I might as well go ahead and do this too. In other words, this is going to be a much longer restoration than I expected.
Are there any blueprints, templates or drawings available? I have some parts to make where the old piece is too far gone to use as a pattern.
Also, I still need the measurement from the bottom edge of the shell to the back of the bumper support. Thanks again, Ted
tdeLorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Check out this thread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...rot-39673.html
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote