Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
Moving My Airstream ?

Hi there folks I posted a message earlier about my floor rot and what I have dicovered. But where my trailer is I can't really work on it all the time like I want to. So I have to tow it over to my sisters house which is about 10-15 miles all about 35mph roads or i could go slower I guess. Anyway the question really is the AS has the floor missing form the back half. Someone metioned that moving it like this might not be safe for te AS structure or anybodyelse for that matter. Please advise..... I'm need to figure out soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame rot13.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	73561   Click image for larger version

Name:	gutted rear end.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	73562  

augier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The floor does not carry any loads from the shell to the frame except where it is trapped between the shell and the steel frame. From what I see from your pictures, I do not see any reason you could not tow it at slow speeds to your sister's house to work on it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm not sure I agree. I always thought the floor and the shell worked in unison. Without sections of flooring, couldn't the shell shift? Even slightly? I always see folks build these supports when working in this manner which I thought was specifically to keep the shell from flexing.

From the pics, unless I am looking at it wrong, you have at least 25% of one end of flooring gone and about 10% of the other end. If the remaining floor is not in good shape....... but I guess if you went REALLY slow and didn't hit any major bumps, dips, etc....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Augie R.

1960 22' Safari
carlsbad , California
thanks

I think what i'm going to do is support the inside with some 2x4's so the walls don't sag on the frame at the end of the AS. The floor is not really that much gone maybe like he said 20% & 8% at the rear. The rest of it I would say 90% strength just a little messy by the door but nothing big. I'll just drive slow I noticed today that the inside upper panels are fiberglass on the front and the rear.....is that normal ?
augier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by augier View Post
I think what i'm going to do is support the inside with some 2x4's so the walls don't sag on the frame at the end of the AS. The floor is not really that much gone maybe like he said 20% & 8% at the rear. The rest of it I would say 90% strength just a little messy by the door but nothing big. I'll just drive slow I noticed today that the inside upper panels are fiberglass on the front and the rear.....is that normal ?
Yes. Fiberglass headliners were used exclusively, back then.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The fiberglass is most likely only interior trims and such...I'm fairly confident that under that is alum ribs, sheemetal, etc. I think any fiberglass would be ok while you moved it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote